Thread: 2013 Twins minor league field management

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries

2013 Twins minor league field management

During the Twins/Kernels press conference Wednesday, someone asked the Twins reps if decisions had been made yet on who the manager and coaches would be next season. The answer was that they expected some shuffling to occur, but the decisions hadn't been made yet. The indication was that they typically get those assignments finalized just in advance of their Organizational Meetings in mid-October.

Of course, that got me wondering whether anyone had heard anything about possible changes in the Twins minor league managing/coaching assignments.

We've speculated about Brunansky maybe getting a promotion (either with the Twins or with another MLB staff) and I've heard positive things about Rudy Hernandez, the Rock Cats hitting coach. The Beloit trio of Prada, Watkins and Lucas seem like they've been together at A level for quite a while.

Any speculation on who might be where next season?
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Watkins must be doing a great job in Beloit but there are issues in Ft Myers. Look at Ray and Liddle and Rams and Michael. Jesus couldn't hit in Ft Myers. Springman is just like any other national guy, a Hurricane. He comes in,ales adds and blows out of town. Ha!

Cricket, who is the hitting coach at GCL?

I really don't see any movement of anybody. Seems pretty stale, unless someone takes a manager job somewhere...and overall the minor league seasons were pretty decent for the teams.....
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyBaseball70 View Post
    Cricket, who is the hitting coach at GCL?
    I honestly have no idea who staffed the GCL team this season, Bobby.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would hope Bruno would be promoted, he deserves a major league job. That would open a hole for some coaches to move up. On the promotion issue so does Bobby Cuellar.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Joe Vavra doesn't deserve to be let go or demoted. The team's offense is more than a 1/2 run better than last year. The hitters are not the issue. Has anyone looked at the offensive offensive numbers put up in Rochester. I don't understand the thought that Brunansky "deserves" to be a big league hitting coach. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't, but if so, it's not based on what Rochester hitters did this year.

There are generally a few moves every year. I know that Mauer and Watkins are very well respected in the organization. Ft. Myers' hitting coach is Jim Dwyer, and people rave about how good he is. The FSL is a tough hitters league.

But, they won't announce anything until after the Org meetings next month.

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A lot will depend on what happens:

a. At the MLB-level with the manager and the coaches and there need to be changes after 2 seasons of 99 and 90+ losses and the way the Twins' pitching has been.
    b. with Rantz. He is long overdue for retirement (will be 75 before the season starts)
    c. with Ryan. Very disappointing season, doing nothing at the deadline and assembling that pitching staff. His job is probably on the line despite what Jr is saying publicly

If those things than need to happen, happen, there will be wholesale changes... otherwise, most of these guys are tenured in the organization
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Joe Vavra doesn't deserve to be let go or demoted. The team's offense is more than a 1/2 run better than last year. The hitters are not the issue. Has anyone looked at the offensive offensive numbers put up in Rochester. I don't understand the thought that Brunansky "deserves" to be a big league hitting coach. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't, but if so, it's not based on what Rochester hitters did this year.

There are generally a few moves every year. I know that Mauer and Watkins are very well respected in the organization. Ft. Myers' hitting coach is Jim Dwyer, and people rave about how good he is. The FSL is a tough hitters league.

Just a feeling Dwyer will look like a much better hitting coach with Sano and Rosario on the roster next season.

Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pius Jefferson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post

Just a feeling Dwyer will look like a much better hitting coach with Sano and Rosario on the roster next season.
    Tommy Wants to manage, so don't be surprised if he gets a chance at some level this year....
    Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rinald...56164664420932

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Tommy Watkins will be a good manager. I think that Jake Mauer will be a terrific manager at the big league level. The Twins really do have a some terrific coaches in the minor leagues. Not saying all, but they do know what they're talking about.

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 201 Times in 81 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How about Bruno's in and Bobby's out in Boston? Brunansky spent four years with the BoSox., and Red Sox Nation (or Red Sox Clubhouse) is ready for a player-friendly coach.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    A lot will depend on what happens:

a. At the MLB-level with the manager and the coaches and there need to be changes after 2 seasons of 99 and 90+ losses and the way the Twins' pitching has been.
    b. with Rantz. He is long overdue for retirement (will be 75 before the season starts)
    c. with Ryan. Very disappointing season, doing nothing at the deadline and assembling that pitching staff. His job is probably on the line despite what Jr is saying publicly

If those things than need to happen, happen, there will be wholesale changes... otherwise, most of these guys are tenured in the organization
    a. If Gardenhire was to be fired it should be for his very public doghouse. The players in his doghouse have been traded for basically nothing. Unless you can buy players, no organization should have a public doghouse. Better returns for Loshe, Garza and Hardy would have put this club in a better situation. The return for Cuddyer, Kubel and Nathan will take years for a return. In the past those players would have been traded for a more ready prospect or two. Chargois and Berrios might well turn out to be a better value than what they could have picked up.
    b. Rantz is old. We all will be old someday. You need a better line of reasoning that that to say Rantz should retire. Rantz did not make unwise draft selections. The lack of development at the AAA level the last few years is more of a reflection of the drafting, not the development. The Twins ability to find players from other teams minor league systems and turn them into serviceable players at the major league level may well be the work of the system in place by Rantz.
    c. You can't turn a pitching staff that imploded around in one season. The staff has been a band-aid job for years. Deadline deals to make a bad deal is worse than no deals. What the Twins had to trade was not what other clubs wanted or was not offered a fair enough value in return. That part of the business was not, nor should not, be made public.