Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Mike Scioscia?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts

Mike Scioscia?

With the Angels collapse there is talk about Mike Scioscia possibly getting fired. Would you like to see him brought in to replace Gardy next season?

I would like the move so we could bring in some new people and try to turn around this sad team.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    I would like to see Gardy stay, I don't think the Twins' downfall was his fault. Give him another year with a pitching rotation that can win some games. He has too many years of success to be fired after two poor seasons.

Senior Member Double-A Lesser Dali's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is just my guess. Scioscia is fired from his managerial position for the Angels. He replaces Bobby Valentine as the BoSox manager. Dave Martinez is hired as the Angels' Manager. Gardenhire remains in his current position. Bobby Valentine never manages again in Major League Baseball.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,242 Times in 495 Posts
    No, he's cut from the same cloth.

This organization needs fresh voices with fresh ideas, not more of the same.
    Last edited by snepp; 09-22-2012 at 06:10 PM.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tshide View Post
    I would like to see Gardy stay, I don't think the Twins' downfall was his fault. Give him another year with a pitching rotation that can win some games. He has too many years of success to be fired after two poor seasons.
    Last year was injuries.

This year was something else.

What will it take?

good grief, a manager's insistence on slap hitting players that litter this lineup, to go with the throw it over for a strike(aka pitch to impact) mentality, will continue to produce losing records.

This org HOPES to do well based on HOPING guys comeback, HOPING scrap heap pickups produce.

It needs a full cleaning. Sell it to someone who cares about winning.

Clean out the front office and coaching staff.

Change the mentality.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No interest. If we're going to make a managerial change, I don't want a retread.

I don't think it makes a lot of sense to fire a guy after 2 disappointing seasons and replace him with a guy whose high payroll teams have underachieved the last 3 seasons.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why would we want a guy who cant win with a GINORMOUS payroll? Gardy is a good manager, but eventually its just time for a change, there are many other candidates that i would prefer if Gardy gets the ax.

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Right! You guys want us to become Kansas City.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 104 Times in 66 Posts
    I'd rather have Tom Kelly come back and manage. On an interm basis of course.

Liked 1,203 Times in 700 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thegrin View Post
    Well, we could just stick with what we have .... and become Kansas City without the staffing changes.

I'd rather see the Twins import some new energy, talent and ideas. I prefer that be in the form of someone other than Scoscia (and other than Gardenhire and other than Kelly).

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 617 Times in 343 Posts
    I'd be a fan of Scoscia for the looser running game alone. For whatever reason Gardy teams have never run as often as I think they could and should. Scoscia loves to move baserunners.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,242 Times in 495 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I'd be a fan of Scoscia for the looser running game alone. For whatever reason Gardy teams have never run as often as I think they could and should. Scoscia loves to move baserunners.
    He also has a fetish for bad baseball players, Butera would get 250 plate appearances for him.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 617 Times in 343 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    He also has a fetish for bad baseball players, Butera would get 250 plate appearances for him.
    Touche

On Vacation All-Star
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 433 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is kind of an interesting comparison... Couple of the most tenured managers out there. One was an all star with 13 years experience in the majors and the other was a utility player with 3 years in the majors. One of them kinda adjusted and changed the people around him. The other one did not (just shuffled their chairs.) Both of them are old and tired, let them rest in peace and let them make pizza and hardware commercials.

Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thegrin View Post
    That would be great! Have you seen their prospects they have? I would love to have a few of those arms in this organization.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Most people expect Scocia to end up in Boston, many expect Francona to end up with the LAA. If the Twins were to make a move (which they won't), I'd rather go after him. I don't exactly blame Bobby V. for Boston's mess, it was a complete mess before he got to town, and he clearly wasn't the right fit for that. He'll go back to ESPN and I don't know if he will want to leave Bristol after the disaster in Boston.

I think Gardy is a terrible manager in the sense of managing. When he use to pull Kubel for a pinch runner with 2 outs in the 7th of a tied game just blew my mind. Add in some terrible bullpen moves, and his Nick Punto obsession, and a few other of his blunders and its clear that I just don't think he is an A level manager. I'd put him in the middle B level. If there are 3 classes 8-10 guys in each class. However saying that, I think the front office needs to find a direction. Too me it looks like a bunch of guys with 1 foot out the door. Terry Ryan still has his interim tag on. Jim Rance is in his 70's. Dave St. Pierre has to be getting up there as well. So I'd rather have a front office move, (someone out of house, not TR's assistant (Bill Smith like move). Replace the rest of the house, still have these guys around for a year, and figure out what will happen.