Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: What Would You Do? Jared Burton

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    For those of you thinking that Burton will give up free agency for 2 million consider Jon Rauch got 3.5 from the Mets. Another good year and he could get a 3/13 deal like Crain or a 3/12 like Guerrier. Do you really think that Burton will give up the chance for that kind of money for 2 million? Do you really think an athlete thinks "What if I get injured?"
    I would assume they don't just ignore the fact that they might get injured. That's why they like contract security. Especially Burton, who has been injured a lot in his career. Besides, no agent would let his guy assume he won't get injured.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 58 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the 6.5 million for 3 years would be a great siging for the Twins but I think the ability to earn incentives makes it a fair for both sides contract. maybe add 300-500k per year incentives to that contract and its great for both sided.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 162 Times in 103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He is 31.

As a set up reliever, he will never make outrageous dollars.

Why would we buy his 33 year old season now?

It is more likely that he will be out of the majors by the end of the 2014 season than it is likely he will put up two more seasons like his 2012 effort.

The Twins must not make long term decisions based on a single aberrant season.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    I would give Burton the same deal as Perkins got. Lock up the guys you want to keep.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think locking him up for 3 years with an option would be a great idea. If you can keep it in the range discussed, go for it. How many teams are missing the playoffs this year because of bullpen meltdowns in the first two months of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I'd be ok with 3 years/6 million because the risk is pretty low, I wouldn't really go over that though. Giving extensions to non great RP are a bit risky.
    Totally agree. It's worth pointing out that while many of us beat up on Mauer's contract, the Twins arguably did more damage (for less gain) by their policy of giving extensions/new deals to several mediocre players like Blackburn, etc. They've done that short term with relievers like Capps too, though it would be rough to beat up on them too much since they let SEVERAL critical relief pitchers walk for bigger deals in the past few seasons (Guerrier, Crain, Nathan, etc.)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    I am not a big believer in signing relievers to multi-year contracts. Occasionally the situation warrants it (Nathan, Perkins), but most of the time, you don't know what you are going to get. Relievers can be up and down so much from season to season. Additionally, finding capable relievers from the scrap heap or the minors is relatively simple (just look at the Twins this year).

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 132 Times in 82 Posts
    At his age and injury history 2 yrs with a 3rd yr option is as far as I would go.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,281 Times in 513 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    At his age and injury history 2 yrs with a 3rd yr option is as far as I would go.
    Sounds like a winner to me.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I like the guy, he has pitched well, but hasn't pitched a ton of innings, has had arm problems and is 31 years old. I just question handing out a 3 year deal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12