Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Offseason Trade Candidates

Liked 108 Times in 59 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostofgleemansflab View Post
    John-you're the Twins Geek, tell us who you think might be available. How high are you shooting? Tampa has a glut of pitching and has the luxury of Wade Davis in the pen? We couldn't convince them to part with him, could we? Or target Atlanta?
    I actually just wrote up Wade Davis as a possiblity in the Handbook last night. Good catch.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 44 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Let me help out and mention 3 under the radar guys I think are realistic trade options and have good upside.

Kyle Kendrick - Phillies make sense as a trade partner and Kendrick has pitched great down the stretch. They may want to sell high on him to fill some of their outfield needs with their rotation set with the big 3, Worley and Cloyd. He has 1 year - 4.5M remaining on his contract and I believe has one more year of arbitration left after that,. So 2 years of club control.

Alfredo Aceves - Yes I know he's been erratic this year and he hasn't shown to be the best teammate, but the way Bobby Valentine has used him, I can't really blame the guy. One thing I do see when I watch him pitch is that he's got great stuff and has the track record (prior to this year) that backs it up. He has mentioned several times that he'd like to be a starter, he seems to have fallen out of favor in Boston and has 2 years of team control left.

Jake Arrieta - Jake would be coming off what seems to be a horrible season. Currently 3-9 with a 6.18 ERA. But when you look more in depth at his numbers you see that he has a 8.55 K/9.. 2.77 BB/9 with a decent 44.2 GB%. His FIP is 3.98 with a xFIP of 3.64 so he's pitching a LOT better than his ERA would indicate. The only thing I see that scares me is the HR rate, but I think pitching in the AL east along with his home ballpark doesn't help. I can still remember him dominating us on opening day this year and the few times I've seen him pitch he's always impressed me. He has 4 years of team control remaining and is obviously my favorite target from the 3 I've mentioned.

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Guthrie. Ick. Rockies choked on him this year. Better with Royals, but we need to not be picking up the scraps from their table.

Liked 108 Times in 59 Posts
    Blog Entries
    JP3700, I think those are great names. I can't believe I didn't come up with Kendrick. I wrote up a profile on Cloyd but wiffed on Kendrick. I want to research Aceves and Arrieta now, too.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 44 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    JP3700, I think those are great names. I can't believe I didn't come up with Kendrick. I wrote up a profile on Cloyd but wiffed on Kendrick. I want to research Aceves and Arrieta now, too.
    Thanks John. I actually like Kendrick the least because I think it would require Span to get him. If that's the case I'd rather sweeten a trade around Span to make a push at Shields or go for one of Atlanta's young pitchers before exploring a trade with the Phillies. I think it would take a lot less to get Aceves and/or Arrieta.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ltwedt View Post
    I'd really like to see the Twins "roll the Dice" just a bit - shake things up, I mean - how much worse can the starting pitching be?

Like - Target Daisuke, Edwin Jackson, and Josh Beckett. Like you guys said in #59, offer them a year at $6-8 Million with incentives and a team option. If the Rays would part with Upton, try that, - I'd trade either Revere or Span - C'Mon - test the waters and see who might be interested in either - or maybe both! Is Joe Benson going to be ready? Let's make a decision on Morneau/Parmalee. Either one - I don't care - Morneau makes the most sense because of his salary, but DO SOMETHING!!!

Would Luke Hochevar be available? He might be a good fit.
    BJ Upton is a free agent. The Rays cannot trade him this offseason.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by ghostofgleemansflab View Post
    John-you're the Twins Geek, tell us who you think might be available. How high are you shooting? Tampa has a glut of pitching and has the luxury of Wade Davis in the pen? We couldn't convince them to part with him, could we? Or target Atlanta?
    I actually just wrote up Wade Davis as a possiblity in the Handbook last night. Good catch.
    If you're looking for a write up on Tommy Hanson, let me know. I can fairly easily diagram what is right and wrong about him in Atlanta right now, and why he (to me) is a huge buy-low guy. At his true performance level, he's worth Span plus a big time prospect, but I honestly feel that right now, he and Span would be a fairly even trade, with the Braves possibly even mixing and matching prospects in the deal to balance it out.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Tampa has a replacement for BJ Upton named Desmond Jennings so they could go for either span or Willingham. I would trade either of them for Shields and then try to grab a guy for 3/30 in FA. I think it also makes sense for Tampa.

I like Jake Arrieta also but I don't see the O's parting with him. They have offense but need pitching so I think they'll give him another chance unless they trade him for an established starter.

I'm not a big fan of Wade Davis as a starter. His stuff really played up this year in the pen so i think he'll stay there. He doubled his K's and swstr% this year.

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Let me put it this way: I've seen plenty of Kendrick in the minors and majors around here. And there is a very good Twins comparable: Anthony Swarzak. Matter of fact, I think Swarzak has better stuff. Kendrick would be a huge huge mistake.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Let me put it this way: I've seen plenty of Kendrick in the minors and majors around here. And there is a very good Twins comparable: Anthony Swarzak. Matter of fact, I think Swarzak has better stuff. Kendrick would be a huge huge mistake.
    Interesting, as I've seen a number of Cloyd's starts on milb.tv this year (great investment, btw), and I compare him strongly to a minor league version of Kevin Slowey.

Member Single-A
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think you should add Jake McGee and Jeff Niemann to that list - also relegated to the bullpen in Tampa if they don't trade Shields. If the Twins could see Niemann pitch and have him pass a rigorous exam, he would be interesting. McGee has been relegated to LOOGY but has good splits and started in AA.

Morneau and $11M for McGee and Niemann? Or McGee and Davis.
    Span and _________ for McGee and Niemann?

Member Single-A
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
    I think you should add Jake McGee and Jeff Niemann to that list - also relegated to the bullpen in Tampa if they don't trade Shields. If the Twins could see Niemann pitch and have him pass a rigorous exam, he would be interesting. McGee has been relegated to LOOGY but has good splits and started in AA.

Morneau and $11M for McGee and Niemann? Or McGee and Davis.
    Span and _________ for McGee and Niemann?
    Delete reference to Span. Like Kab pointed out, they have Jennings.

Senior Member All-Star
    they have Jennings but they still need OF'ers and DH's. They really need offense but they have also always had great defenses to go with their pitching staffs. They could definitely match up with Span or Willingham.

I'm not sure why there's so much interest in Niemann. He's the kind of guy you pick up not using your best trade chips. He's a 4.00 ERA guy that is 2 yrs from FA. He also has a long injury history and not many think he can stay healthy.

The scouting report on McGee for at least 5 years was that he was going to end up a RP. And he currently looks like an elite RP'er so he would cost an arm and a leg to get. I wouldn't target a project starter with 1-2 of your prime trade chips.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post

Interesting, as I've seen a number of Cloyd's starts on milb.tv this year (great investment, btw), and I compare him strongly to a minor league version of Kevin Slowey.
    I like how thrylos somehow thinks that the Phillies knew less than he did and that he was available.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 170 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Maddon has been batting Keppinger because he is one of the few guys who doesn't strike out all the time. Revere not only has a miniscule strikeout rate, but obviously plays great defense and is under team control for a few years yet. A Revere-Davis trade might appeal to everyone.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    I work for a company who has an HQ in Seattle. Apparently the Mariners have just released a notice that they have plans to move in CF by 8 feet and LF by 17 feet. Rumor has it that this is to attract right-handed power. I have not looked over exact scenarios but Seattle has good, young pitching.

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Do we really want the Rays to pick our pockets again? Stay away -- those guys are clearly smarter than we are at this point.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
    The Marlins are expected to make some major changes. I expect them to trade at least one of their big contracts (Johnson, Nolasco, Buerhle, Bell & Reyes). Johnson & Nolasco would be great, but are only signed for 1 more year, so I don't see the point for the Twins. Bell doesn't seem to be a fit at all, and Reyes trading would be a huge PR hit. Buerhle's got 3 more years left, and the Twins like him a lot. If the Marlins ate some of that salary, I could easily see them having some interest. TR & Gardy are going to want a veteran leader in the rotation, and Buerhle would fit the bill and would be a popular addition for a lot of fans. The Marlins could have an opening in the OF or 1B, so there might be a match there.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LastOnePicked View Post
    Do we really want the Rays to pick our pockets again? Stay away -- those guys are clearly smarter than we are at this point.
    Ding, ding, ding! The more and more I read about Yunel Escobar the less I want him. He's an awful clubhouse guy and some of his teammate's have gone as far to say, "What will he screw up this game?"

Quote Originally Posted by YourHouseIsMyHouse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LastOnePicked View Post
    Ding, ding, ding! The more and more I read about Yunel Escobar the less I want him. He's an awful clubhouse guy and some of his teammate's have gone as far to say, "What will he screw up this game?"
    Yunel isn't a Ray, he's a Jay, but he's also a pretty trashy human being as well.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast