Thread: Article: Homer-Happy Hendriks

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Homer-Happy Hendriks

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think that there is domination and there is domination in the minors. Slowey had only one season with WHIP higher than 0.834 (and that was 0.958) And his highest full season ERA in the minor before that call up was 2.12. Slowey's worst seasons would be Hendriks' career seasons and Hendriks is pretty darn good.

Small sample size to talk about HRs. ... A good comparable to Hendriks is Frankie Viola who made his debut (like Hendriks) at age 22 and had a full season at age 23. Both of those season were not remarkable and then Frankie got the changeup going and became Frankie. Hope that Hendriks follows that trajectory...

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Without getting into the stat stuff--it maybe that Liam just doesn't have the ability to do well at the next level. He has had plenty of opportunity--something like 17 starts with one win. I just don't like the action of his ball---it comes in too flat. He reminds of a shortstop throwing the ball--kind of a slinger, or little bit of a short arm action. But, I hope I'm wrong on this opinion.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He will adjust. It takes some guys longer than others. Guys that aren't big power arms take longer IMO. I wouldn't expect Cy-Young results, but I think he'll settle around a 4 ERA.

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    He will adjust. It takes some guys longer than others. Guys that aren't big power arms take longer IMO. I wouldn't expect Cy-Young results, but I think he'll settle around a 4 ERA.
    Really hope you are right on this one! A 4 era in the American league is pretty good. Wonder what the Twins feel internally on Hendricks future?

Not necessarily as comparable as Baker made 10 starts @ 23 but @ age 24
    Baker
    16st 83.1IP 114h 6.37ERA 62k 16bb 17hr's
    Liam
    15st 78.1IP 101h 6.09ERA 47k 24bb 17hr's
    If he turns out as good as Scot was (but injury free) Id be very happy but I am a fan of an injury free Baker
    Liam is frustrating right now, but I have tons of faith in him & would almost pencil him in for a spot next yr (esp if he has a similar spring training)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I do not like the movement on the ball from Hendriks. The Twins will probably give him a shot next year, but I do not think he is a major league pitcher