Thread: Dan Haren Likely to Join Starting Pitching Free Agent Class

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries

Dan Haren Likely to Join Starting Pitching Free Agent Class

Nick just found this tidbit from Alden Gonzalez, the Angels beat writer:

http://aldengonzalez.mlblogs.com/201...f-the-day-925/

"So, I expect the Angels to decline their team options on Santana ($13 million) and Haren ($15.5 million) during the exclusive negotiating window and go hard after Greinke (six years, $125 million is the price tag many have associated with him)."
    That's one more pretty big name on the market. Even after a pretty mediocre year in which he had back problems, the 32-year-old is going to get a multi-year deal if he wants it. That's another $20M guy on the market to push names down to the Twins level.

I would LOVE to see his offers dip to the point where the Twins would consider him.

Twins dont offer multi yr deals to pitchers tho.
    Lots of people think its the money offerred, but if a pitcher will take a 1 or 2 yr deal...then Terry Ryan will be interested. 3 yr deal....Twins are out. 4 yr deal, wont even negotiate.
    What kind of deal wil Dan Haren, at 32, be interested in?? His velocity was down a lot this yr (88.5 ave vs career 90.9) but I have always been a big fan of his. Hopefully MN will contact him.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It will be interesting to see how the market reacts. Even with LAA out, I have to think one of Bos/NYY/TX will pursue

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 329 Times in 160 Posts
    It seems like he is hurt a lot but he has really been very good getting over 30 starts a year 8 years running with 28 this year. He would fit the Twins mold of pitcher. If you give Pavano 16 for 2 yrs wouldn't you give Haren something 20+ for 2 yrs? Maybe 25 for 2? Doesn't much sound like Ryan does it?
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    I think he's more likely to sign a 1 yr make good deal with someone like Oak or SD but we'd also make sense, since TF is a pitcher's park. I've been mentioning him for months. He really is a Twins type guy. I could see Ryan signing him.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Prediction - the Twins will sign a FA pitcher. But it won't be anybody who's on your or my radar.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 109 Times in 69 Posts
    Prediction: the twins will sign a pitcher and most Twins fans (including me) will have to google him to find out who the heck he is. I had to do it last year with Carrol and Marquis. Also, the more irrelavent the Twins become year in and year out, the less most of us care about baseball. I mean it is hard to watch game 115 between the Cubs and Pirates...who cares anymore.

Baseball is too boring when the Twins don't play well.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Prediction - the Twins will sign a FA pitcher

named Matt Capps

Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post

named Matt Capps
    AAAHHHH!!!! My head is exploding! NOOOOOO!

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post

named Matt Capps
    It doesn't count as a FA acquisition if they pick up his $6 million option.

I still think Haren is WELL outta the Twins price range but he has been back to his old self since coming off the DL with the back problems.
    Last 11gms (not counting todays start)
    61.2IP 55h .236BAA 24ERA 3.50ERA 45k 14bb
    Always considered him 'just' short of an ace but an incredibly solid #2 type.....would love to see him here

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 68 Times in 48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    Prediction: the twins will sign a pitcher and most Twins fans (including me) will have to google him to find out who the heck he is. I had to do it last year with Carrol and Marquis. Also, the more irrelavent the Twins become year in and year out, the less most of us care about baseball. I mean it is hard to watch game 115 between the Cubs and Pirates...who cares anymore.

Baseball is too boring when the Twins don't play well.
    Really? You had to google Carroll and Marquis?!
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    Prediction - the Twins will sign a FA pitcher. But it won't be anybody who's on your or my radar.
    Tom Gorzelanny, come on down!

Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    I think he's more likely to sign a 1 yr make good deal with someone like Oak or SD but we'd also make sense, since TF is a pitcher's park. I've been mentioning him for months. He really is a Twins type guy. I could see Ryan signing him.
    I could see Boston throwing way too much money at him for him to ignore, but the last guy they signed for big money from the Angels exploded on them, so there could be a worry.

If I'm Haren's agent, and he is let go by the Angels, I find the NL team who would give him a one year, $10-15M deal to regain his value, then hit the market for one last "big" contract at 33.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    I could see Boston throwing way too much money at him for him to ignore, but the last guy they signed for big money from the Angels exploded on them, so there could be a worry.

If I'm Haren's agent, and he is let go by the Angels, I find the NL team who would give him a one year, $10-15M deal to regain his value, then hit the market for one last "big" contract at 33.
    Boston will probably throw at him a 3 year 30+ million dollar deal. He would more than likely have a bloated ERA in the AL EAST, so if he is smart he would go somewhere else.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 131 Times in 81 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    Lots of people think its the money offerred, but if a pitcher will take a 1 or 2 yr deal...then Terry Ryan will be interested. 3 yr deal....Twins are out. 4 yr deal, wont even negotiate.
    What kind of deal wil Dan Haren, at 32, be interested in?? His velocity was down a lot this yr (88.5 ave vs career 90.9) but I have always been a big fan of his. Hopefully MN will contact him.
    What is this based on? Years of 60M payrolls and/or having strong pitching staffs?

I can almost guarantee that the Twins will sign someone this offseason to break your historical trend.

Haren could work for me in the 3/30 neighborhood. He was injured this year but if he's healthy then he's a great #2 for a relatively bargain price. I'm just hoping that they don't lock onto someone and end up in the 5/75 neighborhood.

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    What is this based on? Years of 60M payrolls and/or having strong pitching staffs?

I can almost guarantee that the Twins will sign someone this offseason to break your historical trend.

Haren could work for me in the 3/30 neighborhood. He was injured this year but if he's healthy then he's a great #2 for a relatively bargain price. I'm just hoping that they don't lock onto someone and end up in the 5/75 neighborhood.
    I'm going to take a wild guess and say the historical trend won't be broken. Mainly because Ryan said something like: "We aren't going to sign a big FA this winter"
    Twins are going/trying to make a smaller deal pay out dividends (like Willingham 3/21 or even Doumit). It remains to be seen if we can get a SP or two that can actually be decent.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 131 Times in 81 Posts
    a smaller deal like Willingham is still a multi year deal. I really^100 hope they don't spend big in FA this year but 3/30 for a pitcher is reasonable and breaks the so called historical trend.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    3/30 would still be their biggest free agent contract ever. But ryan saying they won't spend big doesn't mean anything

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    He has always been a very poor second half pitcher, so if your are thinking playoff forget it. Angals won't have much left.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast