Thread: Posnanski: Glen Perkins and the Art of the Save

Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries

Posnanski: Glen Perkins and the Art of the Save

This is an excellent must-read by Joe Posnanski on Glen Perkins and his closer role.

Here's a sampling:

Heís sabermetrically inclined -- he loves breaking down the game to its numbers --and heís also someone who thinks a lot about how players react emotionally. I asked him how he likes being a closer, and he gave a great answer. He said that, on the one hand, he believes that the best relievers should be used in highest-leverage situations, whatever inning that happens to be. If the bases are loaded in the sixth, that might be the most important batter of the game, and the best reliever should be out there.

On the other hand, he has come to find that thereís something about the closer that teammates respond to.

ďIíve come to see what itís like to be in that role,Ē he says. ďYou really give everybody confidence-- the coaching staff, the players, the guys in the bullpen - if they know that if you can get a lead in the ninth inning, you will win the game. It does a lot for the guys. Last year, I was in the seventh inning, eighth inning, getting out of jams, and that was really exciting and thatís obviously really important. But the, if you arenít in the game, if you arenít on the team, you donít see what closers mean to teammates. You do need to get outs in the seventh and eighth. But you need to get them in the ninth too.Ē

Good stuff. Read the whole damn thing.
    @OverTheBaggy

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I really love Posnanski's writing and Perk did a nice job of taking us through his thoughts on the mound. Good stuff indeed.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Liked 360 Times in 204 Posts
    Thanks for the link. Posnanski is such a good writer. I don't always agree with his thinking but he always pens an interesting column plus his columns are always thought-provoking. And he does seem to love the Twins.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 786 Times in 428 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Posnanski is one of my favorite writers. Great piece.

Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Thanks for the link. Posnanski is such a good writer... And he does seem to love the Twins.
    Yes, he certainly has a thing for Ron Gardenhire:

http://joeposnanski.blogspot.com/201...ardy-rant.html
    @OverTheBaggy

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker Hageman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Thanks for the link. Posnanski is such a good writer... And he does seem to love the Twins.
    Yes, he certainly has a thing for Ron Gardenhire:

http://joeposnanski.blogspot.com/201...ardy-rant.html
    Now, the Gardy article was one surreal read two years later.

Also, one of the last comments was how great the talent in the minors were.

All this at what would soon become the crashing and burning of two seasons for the team.

Liked 115 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I especially like how he talks about reading the batter and reacting to him. Seeing if he's "cheating" on his swing a little, how his timing is, what it is he's trying to do, what he's frustrated by. It shows he's being present and a confidence that allows him to work outside himself, be aware of his opponent.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,260 Times in 752 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    I especially like how he talks about reading the batter and reacting to him. Seeing if he's "cheating" on his swing a little, how his timing is, what it is he's trying to do, what he's frustrated by. It shows he's being present and a confidence that allows him to work outside himself, be aware of his opponent.
    One of my frustrations, the few times I've gotten to speak with players or ex-players, is how un-introspective they seem to be. I once thought a good question for a panel of ex-ballplayers (average players, not stars) would be "what was the opponents' book against you?" - the two times I ever tried that question, both times I got "don't walk him, heh heh heh". Funny answer, not very illuminating. Perkins sounds like someone I would like chatting with.