Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: On This Date: 1961

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries

On This Date: 1961

Roger Maris hit his 61st home run of the 1961 season to claim the single-season HR record, a record that lasted for almost four decades. It's a record that some still consider to be Maris's more than 50 years later.

Maris was born in Bemidji, Minnesota, but as we all know, he grew up in Fargo, ND. If you've ever been to the West Acres Mall in Fargo, you've hopefully taken some time to explore the Roger Maris Hall of Fame.

I know some of our readers here at Twins Daily may remember the 1961 season, or years following it. I'd love to hear people's thoughts on the topic.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    80 years ago today (1932), Babe Ruth called his shot in the World Series... at least allegedly.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 332 Times in 162 Posts
    That was a great season for many reasons. First we had baseball at "the major league level" and second because of the home run contest between Maris and Mantle. If I recall they were very close until Labor Day when Mantle went into a HR slump only hitting 4-5 and Maris hit like 10 in Sept. I don't think Maris was ever the same player after that it took a lot out of him.
    In my old eyes his record is the real record!
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

According to baseball-reference.com he was born in Hibbing. But he did grow up in Fargo. He was kind o the reluctant hero and was overshadowed by Mantle, Ford, Berra and the rest. I think he liked it that way!

I started following baseball in 1961 as a first grader as it was the Twins first year! I grew up in Austin. Moose Skowron had played for the local amateur team so everybody followed the Yankees and Johnny Blanchard was from Minnesota.

Baseball cards on the back of cereal boxes spawned our interest. I liked the '62 Topps baseball cards better! Wood panel with the picture curled up in the corner. I wish I would have kept them-- but they made a great sound in the spokes of our Sting Rays!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hSNO_PhSnI

Compare this with the buffoonery that went on when McGwire hit his 62nd.