Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Draft spot settled

Draft spot settled

Twins have clinched the AL's worst record with a game to go & will pick 4th in next summer draft!!!!!
    Will this spot be high enough to get a MLB ready Mark Appel??

Unless he changes agents there is no way they draft Mark Appel. The Twins will not deal with Scott Boras.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    When the spring season is over for high school and college it will be clearer who the 4th best player may be. Appel may not be that player.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by floridatwin View Post
    Unless he changes agents there is no way they draft Mark Appel. The Twins will not deal with Scott Boras.
    Not quite. Boras is Manship's agent
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Do not see Appel as a savior, maybe a number 3 starter or a college pitcher whose arm is ruined by college coaches who need wins and do not care about the individual. Appel as a senior will have very little leverage unless he allows Boris to use him as a test case againse Major League baseball and the current system. Boris will try to get his client to a big market team, by pushing unreasonable demands on the slotting system and hope that a team like the Red Sox will draft Appel and come close to meeting his price.
    Twins need pitchers with stuff, not more pitch to contact number 3 starters. Hope they take the best available players and scout and sign international players that can help improve this team.

Blog Entries
    Manship is not likely to be on the Twins 40 man roster after the next two weeks. Case Closed

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Two words:

Sean Manaea

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There is no doubt in my mind right now. If Manaea is there at 4, they have got to take him. He is ridiculous.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    There is no doubt in my mind right now. If Manaea is there at 4, they have got to take him. He is ridiculous.
    Just way too early to tell whether anyone will break a ligament or will emerge by draft time.
    Manea has issues: One pitch pitcher (FB) and his mechanics are all over the place. That has been fooling hitters at that level. But (other than the Cape League where the Ps really have an advantage because it is the first time with wood for many of the hitters) he really has not faced any real competition at Indiana State. Seriously... watch some video this guy is all over the place
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Appel is a pitch to contact guy? I do not think the scouts agree with you, not from what I read.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 393 Times in 207 Posts
    Appel would be a fantastic pickup, he doesn't have true "ace" potential, but he would be a safe bet to slot in as a solid #2 pretty quickly.

A 2014 rotating featuring Gibson, Appel, Hendriks and Diamond could be a pretty decent start.

My guess is the best player available will be a toolsy high school outfielder.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    HS Toolsy OF...well played.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,599 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Appel would be a fantastic pickup, he doesn't have true "ace" potential, but he would be a safe bet to slot in as a solid #2 pretty quickly.

A 2014 rotating featuring Gibson, Appel, Hendriks and Diamond could be a pretty decent start.
    I doubt the Twins will go after Appel. I imagine every team soured on him a bit when he declined the Pirates' offer and returned to college ball. Couple that with the fact that he's almost certainly gone after six years makes me believe the Twins will probably look elsewhere for pitching talent in the draft (plus, it's absurdly early to predict these sorts of things).

If I was making the selection, I'd have no problems selecting Appel and giving him a fair offer for the #4 selection. I wouldn't go over slot. Then, if he doesn't sign, I believe the Twins would receive the #5 pick in the 2014 draft - hopefully a stronger draft than either 2012 or 2013.

I also think Appel would be a great pickup for St. Paul after he declines to sign with the MLB team that drafts him.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 393 Times in 207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post

I doubt the Twins will go after Appel. I imagine every team soured on him a bit when he declined the Pirates' offer and returned to college ball. Couple that with the fact that he's almost certainly gone after six years makes me believe the Twins will probably look elsewhere for pitching talent in the draft (plus, it's absurdly early to predict these sorts of things).
    Crowe refused to sign and the Royals grabbed him the next year, I don't think its as big of a deal as you make it out to be.
    Yes, Boras is his agent but that is overblown as well, the trend now is for teams to lock up "studs" after one to two years in the league, no reason why Appel wouldn't be open to the same (if it ever came to that) though worrying about him sticking around for "only" 6 years shouldn't be a reason at all to shy away from drafting a guy, give me 6 years and a bolt to free agency over some of the guys (Whimmers) we have drafted in the first round the past few years.

I also wouldn't mind going over slot, people act like it destroys your budget, but you can always just go under slot on guys later in the draft (which the Twins always do anyways)

Appel at 4 would be a no brainer for me at this point.
    Last edited by SpiritofVodkaDave; 10-03-2012 at 10:41 AM.

Blog Entries
    My comment on Appel was that he is rated as a number 2 or 3 starter, that is not what the Twins need. Point above on him being gone after 6 years is also valid. My other comment was on college coaches using pitchers far too long and too often. Many of the ace status pitchers throw 120 - 140 pitches a game and are an accident waiting to happen. Do not know how good Appel's mechanics are, but reference (Wimmers, Alex) for this type of pitcher. I would rather wait longer and find pitchers with stuff, than fill my orgainization with pitch to contact people. These pitchers would soon be gone if every club adopted the Toronto power hitters approach to swing very hard at every pitch. Contact pitchers would see 2 -3 balls a game going over the fence that would cure this issue.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    I don't know enough about next years draft class to say who I want but certainly Appel at #4 would be one nice possibility. Right now, (while way too early), Appel is in discussion of 1-1 and next years draft is supposed to be worse than this years draft. A fast to the majors top of the rotation arm would be a nice thing to have. He probably won't be Verlander but there aren't many Verlanders.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The twins do need number 2-3 starters. Give me a rotation of 4 number two to three starters (Baker, Gibson, Appel, etc.) any day. The impact of one true "ace" is overblown.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by floridatwin View Post
    Not quite. Boras is Manship's agent
    I would enjoy seeing the Powerpoint presentation on Manship.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast