Thread: Report: Nishioka Already Has Deal in Japan

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries

Report: Nishioka Already Has Deal in Japan

According to a Japanese website, Tsuyoshi Nishioka has already agreed in principle to a contract with the Hanshin Tigers. The terms have not yet been disclosed.

Nothing surprising about this news from where I stand. Despite his epic struggles over here, Nishioka was one of the biggest stars in the NPB and he's still in his prime. I also won't be surprised if we learn that the money in this deal approaches or exceeds the $3.25M he was owed by the Twins. Keep in mind that Brad Penny was signed for $4 million to play in Japan this year. Yes, Brad Penny. (He was released after one start.)

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When I read this online a few days ago (via Google Translate, which was really difficult), I read 800,000,000 yen, which according to a google search now, is about $10.2 million. If it's a 3-4 year deal, that would make sense.

do you suppose he had this in place prior to asking the Twins to release him?

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
    Would make sense, given how quickly it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    I'd guess the Twins would have paid Hanshin some cash to take Nishi, but don't MLB teams need to pay cash to the Japanese clubs for the right to negotiate for players under contract? Does the system not work both ways?

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    So basically he is getting paid just as much (actually more since its a longer contract), now can people stop saying how Nishioka is such a great guy for doing such a selfless and honorable thing?

I'm so glad that worthless bum is gone.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    I'd guess the Twins would have paid Hanshin some cash to take Nishi, but don't MLB teams need to pay cash to the Japanese clubs for the right to negotiate for players under contract? Does the system not work both ways?
    Well I would guess since the Twins and Nishi agreed to tear up the last year of the deal, they (the twins) have no right to demand money from the Japanese club