Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Article: Happy Offseason! 2013 TwinsCentric Offseason Handbook Is Released!

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,607 Times in 834 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I just realized that the forum trolls may not have noticed that we added a sample of the handbook for download. It features 8 pages of the handbook so you can preview some of the content before plunking down your hard-earned cash. Check it out!

http://www.twinsdaily.com/docs/td-20...ook-sample.pdf

What is the format? Is it PDF or an ebook format such as Epub or Mobi? Curious if I can read it on my nook.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    Great book last year.

A suggestion...

Last year you did a reasonable job projecting contracts. However, I think you need to do a little more work considering what it might take for a player to sign with the Twins. Unless you believe that the Twins are an equally attractive place to sign a contract, your blue prints should reflect the premium the Twins might have to pay to persuade a free agent to join the organization.
    What evidence is there that this is the case? The Twins signed Willlingham at a reasonable price, Doumit too. Maybe Carroll.
    look at the 1st two players former teams? oakland and pittsburg,and the fact that the twins had an injury plaqued year....then take jaime carroll. he was 37 years old being offered a 2 year contract.why would any F.A. want to come to the twins?especially with a lame duck manager.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye forever View Post
    What is the format? Is it PDF or an ebook format such as Epub or Mobi? Curious if I can read it on my nook.
    It will be a PDF. You should be able to read it on pretty much any full color device.

Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Looks great!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    Is today the day?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    Is today the day?
    Tomorrow. We're wrapping up the JR interview and finishing off final edits today.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    So do we get an email with a link or will the link be posted on the website...I am giddy with excitement for hours upon hours of reading.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    So do we get an email with a link or will the link be posted on the website...I am giddy with excitement for hours upon hours of reading.
    I'm not sure of the process, having never used this particular service before (the TD crew has used it but this is my first year). I believe you will be sent an email with a download link that will allow you to grab the PDF, which is around 20MB (in other words, too large to easily email).

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    By the way, this is a reminder that after the World Series is over, the Handbook price changes from $6.95 to $9.95! If you want to order a copy, do so now!

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I downloaded the Handbook this morning at the office and while I've had to get a bit of work done, I've glanced through it and it looks great. I've also read the entire interview with Terry Ryan and I thought John did a very good job with the interview. Some of what Ryan said made me laugh and some of it made me cringe, but he came across being pretty forthright (or as much so as you can expect, given that he'd be an idiot to spill too much detailed information about his offseason strategy). There's certainly plenty of material in the interview and the rest of the Handbook to give a blogger plenty of subjects to write about in coming weeks. Good work.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 205 Times in 115 Posts
    Nice job, guys (and fine design job, pig!). TR's a little feisty in the interview; I like it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Nice job, guys (and fine design job, pig!). TR's a little feisty in the interview; I like it.
    I sensed the same feistiness. Loved it! Made me wish it had been a video interview. I got the feeling he was treating John as both someone who was challenging him, but also someone who was asking legitimate questions.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 167 Times in 98 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    I sensed the same feistiness. Loved it! Made me wish it had been a video interview. I got the feeling he was treating John as both someone who was challenging him, but also someone who was asking legitimate questions.
    FWIW, the feistiness was closer to jocularity than confrontation. It was a lively give-and-take, with the occasional friendly barb.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    FWIW, the feistiness was closer to jocularity than confrontation. It was a lively give-and-take, with the occasional friendly barb.
    Even better.

I've always felt Ryan was an intelligent baseball man with strong convictions. Too strong at times? Maybe. But he came across in the interview as someone who knows full well how deep the hole is he's got to dig the Twins out of and has some ideas of how he will go about doing it.

I'm not a regular poster by any means, but decided to purchase the Handbook on a whim. I downloaded it this morning and have not been able to stop reading (it's a good think I took the day off). Really guys - Seth, John, Parker, Nick - excellent excellent job. And Pig for the design. It's informative, promotes one's own critical thinking, and offers a variety of views. The breakdowns are fantastic, and great job with the TR interview John.

I really cannot say enough about this - definitely a purchase I will make annually now. Again - fantastic job fellas.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just got my copy and skimmed through it.

Noticed that Slama is barely mentioned (listed only as eligible for 40-man and on the depth chart).

Wondering if that's because the TwinsCentric brain trust doesn't have the same view as some on this site do, or if that's because they believe the organization has written him off and they're trying to be realistic on what the organization will do regardless of their own personal beliefs.

Good job, though. Look forward to diving into it in more depth.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    For those of you who have read the book (or skimmed it), what do you think of the layout? Are you comfortable with a horizontal layout versus a traditional vertical book layout?

We went back and forth on this topic a bit and I would appreciate some feedback. Personally, I prefer to read vertical books but I also own a tablet and do very little reading on a computer screen (outside of software documentation for work). On the other hand, vertical books kinda suck on a typical widescreen computer monitor. I made the assumption that most of you would be reading this on a computer (and the horizontal layout is not much of a burden on a tablet, either) so I designed the book to take advantage of as much screen real estate as possible by designing it to better fit a widescreen monitor. Was I wrong in that assumption? Do you like/dislike the layout? Do you care? Why?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
    Awesome job!!! Format was cool, although I think you need a *stealth mode* so a person can be more discreet when reading at work
    Also TR interview was very cool.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    Horizontal all the way. Great layout. My only issue is the parts where in addition to the colorful background you added shading. Very hard to distinguish that from the font unless I mad the picture bigger. This is a fairly common issue. But really love the layout other than that.

the only part I have read so far is the interview, and it was great.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast