Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 61

Thread: Article: Happy Offseason! 2013 TwinsCentric Offseason Handbook Is Released!

  1. #1
    Owner All-Star John Bonnes's Avatar
    Posts
    2,443
    Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Like
    1
    Liked 164 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    241

    Article: 2013 Offseason Handbook Pre-Sale!


  2. #2
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,118
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    49
    Liked 1,590 Times in 827 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    I can't wait to design the hell out of this thing. For you forum junkies who don't read the front page, here is the link to order the 2013 Handbook. It's gonna be awesome.

    https://www.e-junkie.com/ecom/gb.php...=cart&cl=76672

  3. #3
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Posts
    782
    Like
    38
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    Is there a discount for twinsdaily.com members? How about poor first year teachers?

  4. #4
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,118
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    49
    Liked 1,590 Times in 827 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    Is there a discount for twinsdaily.com members? How about poor first year teachers?
    There is a $3 discount for pre-ordering.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer gil4's Avatar
    Posts
    582
    Like
    147
    Liked 144 Times in 80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    How about poor first year teachers?
    They might consider a discount for good first year teachers. (Sorry - I couldn't resist)

  6. #6
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,529
    Like
    78
    Liked 172 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    31
    Great book last year.

    A suggestion...

    Last year you did a reasonable job projecting contracts. However, I think you need to do a little more work considering what it might take for a player to sign with the Twins. Unless you believe that the Twins are an equally attractive place to sign a contract, your blue prints should reflect the premium the Twins might have to pay to persuade a free agent to join the organization.

  7. #7
    Owner All-Star John Bonnes's Avatar
    Posts
    2,443
    Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Like
    1
    Liked 164 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    241
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    Great book last year.

    A suggestion...

    Last year you did a reasonable job projecting contracts. However, I think you need to do a little more work considering what it might take for a player to sign with the Twins. Unless you believe that the Twins are an equally attractive place to sign a contract, your blue prints should reflect the premium the Twins might have to pay to persuade a free agent to join the organization.
    What evidence is there that this is the case? The Twins signed Willlingham at a reasonable price, Doumit too. Maybe Carroll.

  8. #8

    Printable PDF?

    Hi—

    Will the Offseason Handbook be a printable PDF or an e-book that doesn't allow printing?

    I like to print it out for easy reading.

    Thanks,
    Peter

  9. #9
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,118
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    49
    Liked 1,590 Times in 827 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by joegrzenda View Post
    Hi—

    Will the Offseason Handbook be a printable PDF or an e-book that doesn't allow printing?

    I like to print it out for easy reading.

    Thanks,
    Peter
    There will be no DRM of any kind on the Handbook. Print away.

  10. #10
    Will this be an electronic or hard copy?

  11. #11
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,118
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    49
    Liked 1,590 Times in 827 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by fittdogg View Post
    Will this be an electronic or hard copy?
    Electronic.

    If it was a paper book, it would cost at least $40.

  12. #12
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,989
    Like
    104
    Liked 386 Times in 201 Posts
    Will there be a chapter dedicated to signing mark derosa? If so I will just pay full $9.99 cost, if not then I will just pre order.

    Thank you

  13. #13
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,529
    Like
    78
    Liked 172 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    Great book last year.

    A suggestion...

    Last year you did a reasonable job projecting contracts. However, I think you need to do a little more work considering what it might take for a player to sign with the Twins. Unless you believe that the Twins are an equally attractive place to sign a contract, your blue prints should reflect the premium the Twins might have to pay to persuade a free agent to join the organization.
    What evidence is there that this is the case? The Twins signed Willlingham at a reasonable price, Doumit too. Maybe Carroll.
    I think there is plenty of evidence that the more attractive organizations more successfully sign free agents.

    Why sign with the Twins?

    Their record over the last two years? The coaching staff? The medical staff? Endorsement opportunities?

    Be realistic. The only way for the Twins to separate themselves is to offer more money or more years. That should be reflected in your blue prints.

  14. #14
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,529
    Like
    78
    Liked 172 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    Great book last year.

    A suggestion...

    Last year you did a reasonable job projecting contracts. However, I think you need to do a little more work considering what it might take for a player to sign with the Twins. Unless you believe that the Twins are an equally attractive place to sign a contract, your blue prints should reflect the premium the Twins might have to pay to persuade a free agent to join the organization.
    What evidence is there that this is the case? The Twins signed Willlingham at a reasonable price, Doumit too. Maybe Carroll.
    I hope you are right about Willingham, but it is a little early to know that he will continue to be productive for two more years. Look at his drop the over the final two months with an OPS in the 750s. Look at his defense. There is no guarantee that we will look back at this contract two years from now and say that it was a reasonable deal

    As for Carroll, how many other starting shortstop offers do you think came his way? Most teams believe Doumit has little defensive ability some needed to find a DH job. How many offers do you think he was juggling?

    If it is your argument that the Twins can sign players that few other teams want to reasonable contracts, we agree.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Double-A BrentMpls's Avatar
    Posts
    174
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fittdogg View Post
    Will this be an electronic or hard copy?
    Electronic.

    If it was a paper book, it would cost at least $40.

    O_o

  16. #16
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,787
    Like
    234
    Liked 485 Times in 234 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Will there be a chapter dedicated to signing mark derosa? If so I will just pay full $9.99 cost, if not then I will just pre order.

    Thank you
    VodkaDave off season handbook

    Step 1. Sign Mark DeRosa (whatever it takes)
    Step 2. Watch the wins pile up.
    Step 3 Plan parade route.
    Step 4 Laugh at dopes who purchased bloggers off season handbook.
    Chris Hermann solves everything. hat tip to jokin

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    Great book last year.

    A suggestion...

    Last year you did a reasonable job projecting contracts. However, I think you need to do a little more work considering what it might take for a player to sign with the Twins. Unless you believe that the Twins are an equally attractive place to sign a contract, your blue prints should reflect the premium the Twins might have to pay to persuade a free agent to join the organization.
    What evidence is there that this is the case? The Twins signed Willlingham at a reasonable price, Doumit too. Maybe Carroll.
    I hope you are right about Willingham, but it is a little early to know that he will continue to be productive for two more years. Look at his drop the over the final two months with an OPS in the 750s. Look at his defense. There is no guarantee that we will look back at this contract two years from now and say that it was a reasonable deal

    As for Carroll, how many other starting shortstop offers do you think came his way? Most teams believe Doumit has little defensive ability some needed to find a DH job. How many offers do you think he was juggling?

    If it is your argument that the Twins can sign players that few other teams want to reasonable contracts, we agree.
    Jorgenswest, you seemed to infer that the estimated contract projections from last year were pretty accurate, but that there should be a higher number assumed if the Twins sign any given player. John's reply gave examples of the Twin's paying less than or equal-to-market value on the players they did sign. That seems to counter your point pretty fairly.
    Your next reply doesn't address the issue at all. The central issue is what the player is projected to sign for AT THE TIME OF SIGNING, not whether the player will over or under-perform the contract.

    Project what players will be available and at what cost. It would be pretty silly to try and project what players would need to be paid over market to come here. Just as silly as trying to project who would accept less than market.

  18. #18
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,529
    Like
    78
    Liked 172 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    31
    At the time of the signing, Carroll was an old SS. What other offers did he have to start? Where did I suggest he took less than market? It would be an easier argument to say the Twins overpaid. Last year's handbook probably had him listed for less. I believe he came to the Twins because they had more playing time to offer than he could get anywhere else.

    At the time of the signing, Doumit was an injured catcher with a very poor defensive reputation. He needed a spot where he could get his bat in the game. Where else would he get more DH time?

    My point was that the Twins can sign those types to reasonable (not under market!) contracts because they won't have a lot of options.


    How many teams do you think offered Willingham three years? The Twins had better studied projections and mathematics about how similar players have aged into their 30s.

    They can continue the cycle of mediocrity and bring in these decline phase free agents.

    They can also go after free agents that might actually make a difference. Doing so they will compete with other organizations. How do they win the negotiation? Will simply matching the offer made by the Yankees, Rangers... be enough?
    Last edited by jorgenswest; 10-12-2012 at 08:35 PM.

  19. #19
    Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Posts
    3,994
    Like
    4
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    67
    It looks fantastic.

    I already ordered, of course, and now I have to sit here and look at the sample while these stupid Yankees, Tigers, and Cardinals (go Giants!) play long ass games and long ass series . . .

    Free agent pitching contract estimates take on new importance. Jackson at 3/$33 million is in line with my blueprint.

  20. #20
    Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Posts
    3,994
    Like
    4
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    At the time of the signing, Carroll was an old SS. What other offers did he have to start? Where did I suggest he took less than market? It would be an easier argument to say the Twins overpaid. Last year's handbook probably had him listed for less. I believe he came to the Twins because they had more playing time to offer than he could get anywhere else.

    At the time of the signing, Doumit was an injured catcher with a very poor defensive reputation. He needed a spot where he could get his bat in the game. Where else would he get more DH time?

    My point was that the Twins can sign those types to reasonable (not under market!) contracts because they won't have a lot of options.


    How many teams do you think offered Willingham three years? The Twins had better studied projections and mathematics about how similar players have aged into their 30s.

    They can continue the cycle of mediocrity and bring in these decline phase free agents.

    They can also go after free agents that might actually make a difference. Doing so they will compete with other organizations. How do they win the negotiation? Will simply matching the offer made by the Yankees, Rangers... be enough?
    There are a lot of considerations that I imagine factor into FA decision-making. In the case of Willingham and Doumit, both have now wanted extensions. There are some players that will take equal or maybe less money to NOT be in NY, Boston, L.A., Chicago, etc. I am sure Jamey Carroll would like an extension too, but . . .

    Last year I thought Carroll was going to get less and Willingham and Doumit more than they did.

    By the way, it isn't as though they signed Willingham to a 5-year deal. 2 years left for $14 million with even 80% of 2012 production over those two years is a GREAT contract.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.