Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: May as well expand it - Minnesota Twins fire or reassign all but one coach

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 166 Times in 87 Posts
    I'll be interested to see who ends up in the now vacant spots - it seems like the early indications were that AAA coaches were all moving up - Glynn to be the 3rd base coach, Bruno to be the hitting coach and Cuellar to be the bullpen coach.
    Depending on who the new bench coach and the new first base coach is, I think we could possibly see the first mid-season firing of the Manager in Minnesota in a long, long time...

I find it interesting that Glynn is being moved up to be 3rd base coach - I may be reading into it too much but it seems like 2013 might be a year of transition/training for him and then Gardy will step down and Glynn will be named manager in 2014. Otherwise why not keep Glynn in Rochester where he did a good job? Doesn't Gardy's contract run out after 2013?

Glynn was also coaching 3B at Rochester, so it makes sense. Gardy's contract does run out after 2013. I don't know that Glynn is necessarily in line to be the next manager.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Does Molitor fit in anywhere?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Anyone hopeing Gardy and his staff would eventually be replaced by people outside the organization by bringing in new blood and new ideas has got to be disappointed. These promotions certainly seem to be an indicator that the Twins are still only going to promote from within Twins Territory. St. Peter and Ryan need to go if 2013 does not pan out.

Quote Originally Posted by nokomismod View Post
    Does Molitor fit in anywhere?
    Bench Coach is up for grabs.

Why all this talk about wins and losses in terms of measuring Gardy's performance? Sabermetrics has proven wins and losses is an antiquated stat. Gardy's WAR is still pretty impressive.

I guess if Gardy is here longer than next year we should be hearing about an extension soon - normally you don't let the manager dangle the last year. Also unusual to see most of the staff go without the manager - I assume those were Gardy's guys as long as they worked with him. I can't complain about the moves - Bruno and Cuellar have good reps and something was need to shake up the organization after 2 dismal seasons. I can't pinpoint the reason for losing as that the coaches removed weren't doing a good job - more so the talent was not up to par but there is certainly room for improvement.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 332 Times in 162 Posts
    "Sabermetrics has proven wins and losses is an antiquated stat." Not sure this is true sense they still use that antiquated win/loss stat to decide which teams make the playoffs at the end of the season.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 166 Times in 87 Posts
    Molitor would be up for Bench Coach or First Base Coach - if he gets either one, I imagine there would be a push for him to be the interim Manager if Gardenhire were let go mid season next year,.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    "Sabermetrics has proven wins and losses is an antiquated stat." Not sure this is true sense they still use that antiquated win/loss stat to decide which teams make the playoffs at the end of the season.
    Pretty sure he was being sarcastic seeing as he referrenced the managers imaginary WAR. Anyway, I thought it was humorous.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 85 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I know there are some people complaining about coaches being brought up from within the organization rather than outside, but it seems worth noting that Rochester improved from 53 wins in 2011 to 72 wins in 2012 with the new coaching staff. This despite having basically their entire pitching staff called up to the majors.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    I know there are some people complaining about coaches being brought up from within the organization rather than outside, but it seems worth noting that Rochester improved from 53 wins in 2011 to 72 wins in 2012 with the new coaching staff. This despite having basically their entire pitching staff called up to the majors.
    I really have no problem with the promotions in themselves, they are well deserved, I'm just irked this whole process. Terry Ryan took a half measure by getting rid of the least culpable coaches while retaining the two guys at the head of the table. Ryan should have gotten rid of everyone or no one.

If the Twins crash and burn in 2013 and Gardy, Anderson AND Ryan get the axe, a new GM from outside the orgainzation is going to cut ties with everyone, making Brunansky, Glynn, Cuellar and whoever else lame duck coaches next year even though there will be ardent supporters for them. If they stay within the orgzanization, which is about a 90% certainty, more legacy Twins employees get the jobs despite the fact their assistance was not enough to preserve the job of their predecessors. It all just seems like a long con to ensure hiring out of house is as difficult and messy as possible thus ensuring the need to keep the current front office intact.

Liked 1,285 Times in 742 Posts
    This just reeks of cheap. Too cheap to pay off Gardenhire for next year and a new manager too. (May be the same thing with Anderson, who knows?)

Meanwhile, other than McWane, all the same people in the front office (who fed Smith the info on which to make his decisions) all appear (yes, I know that could change) to be left in place.

So far this whole thing is just a bad joke.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12