Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Article: Estimating Starting Pitching Contracts

  1. #1
    The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Posts
    1,681
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Like
    6
    Liked 85 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    322

    Article: Estimating SP Contracts


  2. #2
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,509
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    68
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Regarding Iwakuma... we later found out that he was hurt. He had had injuries to his back and his shoulder. That's why he was only able to get the contract that he got.

  3. #3
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,713
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Pretty darn accurate. I enjoyed last year's handbook very much.

  4. #4
    Terry's at least getting a phone call from Miami about Mark Buehrle, right? Miami only paid him $6m of the $58m due to him this year. So therefore he's got a 3 year, $52m deal ahead of him which I'm sure Miami will be looking to ditch. He's quite reliable though, and there's no better case study as to how it's possible to be successful with a Rick Anderson approach to pitching. I doubt anything would happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if I saw line items come across about this possibility on mlbtr this winter.

  5. #5
    Senior Member All-Star LaBombo's Avatar
    Posts
    2,819
    Like
    1,645
    Liked 1,678 Times in 838 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison Greeley III View Post
    Terry's at least getting a phone call from Miami about Mark Buehrle, right? Miami only paid him $6m of the $58m due to him this year. So therefore he's got a 3 year, $52m deal ahead of him which I'm sure Miami will be looking to ditch. He's quite reliable though, and there's no better case study as to how it's possible to be successful with a Rick Anderson approach to pitching. I doubt anything would happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if I saw line items come across about this possibility on mlbtr this winter.
    You're probably right about the Marlins shopping Buehrle at some point and not expecting much in return. But I'm not sold on the idea that the Twins will make up much ground on the Tigers by spending $17+ million a year for 3 years on a middle-aged guy who'd be the 4th starter (or maybe 5th at the end of his contract) in Detroit. And they'd be done in free agency unless the Marlins picked up a big part of the tab, which they won't.

    As depressing as it is to use him as an example, Joe Saunders could give 90% of Buehrle's performance for half the money.


    Great job on the forecasts, Nick.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison Greeley III View Post
    Terry's at least getting a phone call from Miami about Mark Buehrle, right? Miami only paid him $6m of the $58m due to him this year. So therefore he's got a 3 year, $52m deal ahead of him which I'm sure Miami will be looking to ditch. He's quite reliable though, and there's no better case study as to how it's possible to be successful with a Rick Anderson approach to pitching. I doubt anything would happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if I saw line items come across about this possibility on mlbtr this winter.
    You're probably right about the Marlins shopping Buehrle at some point and not expecting much in return. But I'm not sold on the idea that the Twins will make up much ground on the Tigers by spending $17+ million a year for 3 years on a middle-aged guy who'd be the 4th starter (or maybe 5th at the end of his contract) in Detroit. And they'd be done in free agency unless the Marlins picked up a big part of the tab, which they won't.

    As depressing as it is to use him as an example, Joe Saunders could give 90% of Buehrle's performance for half the money.


    Great job on the forecasts, Nick.
    Agree that they wouldn't take on a contract like Buehrle's, but I reject the premise that Terry Ryan is realistically "competing with Detroit" move for move. I don't think the Twins ever play like that as an organization. How can you, when the biggest FA signing they've ever made is 3 years/24 million to Josh Willingham. Detroit makes moves that nobody expects them to make and does so on a HUGE scale. The idea that they only thought to commit $200 million to Prince Fielder because V-Mart got hurt for one year seems insane, but they ended up with a good player. Cameron Maybin and Andrew Miller were elite prospects in 2007, but the Tigers flipped him for a Triple Crown winner. Prospects, even good ones, usually disappoint. Which is why you either need to stockpile a LOT of them, or flip them for value. The Twins haven't allowed themselves to do either.

    Much like with the entire organization (coaches, GM's, etc.), the Twins believe in promoting from within. The problem is that they got a little intellectually arrogant about their strategy, and through a combination of bad drafting, farm development, and bad luck, their starting pitching prospects are TERRIBLE. John Bonnes tried to name the "top starters" in the organization, and they were stuck after Gibson (hurt) and Berrios (who's like 18). If there's a worse organization in baseball for pitching depth, I would struggle to identify it. They drafted guys for years who had the CEILING of being a serviceable #3 starter, and then some of those guys failed or got hurt, and we don't even have many of those guys now.

    And if you look at all of the good pitching prospects that have changed hands over the past few years, the Twins weren't "eligible" for any of that either because they never really became "sellers" at any point during back to back 95+ loss seasons. Which is AMAZING to me. Liriano doesn't really count because was a combination rental player and "sell low" candidate, and the weak returns reflected that.

    I just struggle with the whole Twins approach of "we're too good to waste money on free agents" or "we're too good to trade proven guys for pitching prospects". You can defend any approach at a given time, but at some point, aren't you just doing NOTHING?
    Last edited by StormJH1; 10-08-2012 at 03:36 PM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member All-Star LaBombo's Avatar
    Posts
    2,819
    Like
    1,645
    Liked 1,678 Times in 838 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Agree with almost all of your points, Storm. But I'm not suggesting that the Twins try to match the Tigers player for player. The Buehlre/Tigers staff comparison was just meant to differentiate between 'improving' and 'competing'. Buehrle would improve the Twins. He would not, as staff ace and sole significant 2013 FA pitcher addition, help them compete against the Tigers.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    795
    Like
    15
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    I still think the Twins are more likely to trade than to sign. They have around $20 mil if the budget numbers are accurate and that might have to bring 3 pitchers/players with that. Twins need to trade for pitching from strenght, outfield or first base.
    Iwakuma... is possible to take a chance on They could probably sign Liriano to a make good contract(just a joke).
    The handbook estimates seem to be very close in most cases. THis makes a good read.

  9. #9
    Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Posts
    1,086
    Like
    10
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Nick, I was wondering if you've heard LEN3's assertion (he's repeated it on the radio and in print several times) that Jeremy Guthrie will get a contract approaching $10m/year.

  10. #10
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,112
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    49
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    Nick, I was wondering if you've heard LEN3's assertion (he's repeated it on the radio and in print several times) that Jeremy Guthrie will get a contract approaching $10m/year.
    He might get that but I doubt it. I'd guess somewhere more in the 2/$16m range. In any case, Guthrie is a guy with a huge "STAY THE HELL AWAY" sign around his neck. 33 years old, just had a career season. Someone is going to vastly overpay for that guy and I sure hope it isn't the Twins.

  11. #11
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,381
    Like
    415
    Liked 812 Times in 512 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    I don't give the buhrle love... He's the type of guy who walks that fine line and could fall off the cliff at any time. To his credit, he's managed to do it quite well and never had the Nick Blackburn collapse... but at 50 some million left on his deal, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. I do think there are some decent trade tragets out there, but I'd rather see the Twins go younger and go hard after some of the Reds AA pitching with their trade chips... not target an aging pitcher that could collapse at anytime.

    Oh, and emulating Detriot might be the dumbest thing this organization can do. They were an overrated team coming into the season and forked out 200M on a contract they will most certainly be regretting in a few years.. they did nothing to address their needs, and saw regression from a number of guys. I've played on beer league softball teams that are better defenders at most of their positions, and that problem isn't getting better.... if you thought our middle infield was bad, take a look at theirs.

    There are some decent pitching FAs out there. I just hope Ryan does his research like he did with The Hammer.

  12. #12
    The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Posts
    1,681
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Like
    6
    Liked 85 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    He might get that but I doubt it. I'd guess somewhere more in the 2/$16m range. In any case, Guthrie is a guy with a huge "STAY THE HELL AWAY" sign around his neck. 33 years old, just had a career season. Someone is going to vastly overpay for that guy and I sure hope it isn't the Twins.
    Career season? He posted a 94 ERA+, second lowest in the past six years.

    I actually kind of like Guthrie. Durable, good control, hard thrower despite the low K-rates, and probably somewhat underrated by his numbers since he's spent most of his career pitching in the AL East (and most of this year pitching in Colorado).

    But no, I don't think he'll get 10M/yr. Not in this market.

  13. #13
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,112
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    49
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    He might get that but I doubt it. I'd guess somewhere more in the 2/$16m range. In any case, Guthrie is a guy with a huge "STAY THE HELL AWAY" sign around his neck. 33 years old, just had a career season. Someone is going to vastly overpay for that guy and I sure hope it isn't the Twins.
    Career season? He posted a 94 ERA+, second lowest in the past six years.

    I actually kind of like Guthrie. Durable, good control, hard thrower despite the low K-rates, and probably somewhat underrated by his numbers since he's spent most of his career pitching in the AL East (and most of this year pitching in Colorado).

    But no, I don't think he'll get 10M/yr. Not in this market.
    I was looking at the wrong stat line. Something didn't seem right. I was wondering how that performance had escaped my notice until now... turns out I had only been looking at his 2012 stat line with the Royals, not his overall line.

    I need to stop drinking so much cough syrup at work.

  14. #14
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,526
    Like
    78
    Liked 168 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    31
    I believe that the Twins will have to overpay to persuade free agents pitching to sign with them.

    If you tend to agree, that somehow must be reflected in your handbook.

    Unless the Twins plan to wait out the market and sign a few leftovers, they will need to do better than match competing offers.

  15. #15
    FYI, from the Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

    Obviously, it's just a speculation piece about the Tigers wanting to retain a good starter, and it's not like their GM is going to say during the playoffs..."Oh Sanchez? Yeah, his ass is gone after the playoffs!"

    But I posted it because Anibal Sanchez was probably the highest-end pipe dream that I thought the Twins might look at signing. Greinke and Dempster aren't going to happen and Sanchez isn't even 30. Unfortunately, he's pitched better of late, which only improves his stock.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    123
    Like
    1
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
    I don't give the buhrle love... He's the type of guy who walks that fine line and could fall off the cliff at any time. To his credit, he's managed to do it quite well and never had the Nick Blackburn collapse... but at 50 some million left on his deal, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.
    The Buerhle love should be pretty obvious. He's got a 12 year track record of not falling off a cliff...better than any pitcher the Twins has had in the past 12 years or more. He's been a very consistent, very good pitcher, pitching in a hitters park, who averages 32+ starts a season. My only concern with him is is salary, and no team is going to pick up that full salary in this pitching market. If the marlins want to move him, they'll have to eat a big chunk of that salary, and there's a chance that it gets to a point where the Twins are interested. Terry Ryan hates signing free agent pitchers and needs a workhorse in his rotation and the organization has always had good things to say about Buerhle. Any pitcher can fall off a cliff, free agent or not, old or young, cheap or expensive. There are higher upside guys, there are younger guys, and there are cheaper guys, but I'll gladly take a good 34 year old pitcher who's never had a hint of injury or decline. And as a bonus, I suspect, no one except Greinke would sell more seats at Target Field. He's not the answer to all the Twins problems, but he could be part of the answer.

  17. #17
    Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Posts
    3,993
    Like
    4
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    67
    Buerhle at 3/43.5 wouldn't have been terrible. I did not know that they broke down his contract like that.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Double-A Wookiee of the Year's Avatar
    Posts
    133
    Like
    9
    Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    You're right that you guys did an overall good job of estimating contracts, but it's interesting to note that with a few exceptions, you were more likely to overestimate than underestimate contract size. That might mean you should tone down your estimates this year ever so slightly, but not necessarily; it could also mean (1) you expect the Twins need to pay a little more for a player than the average team coming off a big losing season, and/or (2) for the Twins to have landed any of the names above, they would have had to outbid the offer that the player did land, which often would have put the contract right at your estimate.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.