Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 145

Thread: Josh Johnson

  1. #121
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Posts
    887
    Like
    38
    Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Johnson has been "hurt" 1 of the past 4 years. I'm not sure what your point exactly is, by the way, why are you trolling Twins boards anyways? I thought you were a Braves fan?
    You've been shown your "hurt" comment is incorrect, so that's not worth arguing.

    I've been conversing with many on this board back to the days on ESPN, and I'd hardly consider what I do trolling. I also participate in a Mets message board as well, and though they're a rival, I've never once been accused of trolling on their site either. Holding fast to arguments that are continually proven false would be a much closer definition of trolling.
    Ur trollface.
    My trollface? I am trollface? Bueller?
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

  2. #122
    Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Posts
    2,342
    Like
    227
    Liked 170 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Some of these guys who run into shoulder issues after TJ just need to get on and stay on a strength and conditioning program and they are more or less ok. I know JJ was put on a shoulder strength program after he was shut down with shoulder issues in 2011 and came back strong for 2012, although his velocity did dip a little. There is risk there and a high ceiling too. It would be very un Twins like to bring a guy like JJ on board out of free agency but I would be pleasantly surprised if they did.

  3. #123
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,077
    Like
    14
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    The Marlins are going to go through a complete rebuilding effort, all indications are the Twins will not, otherwise why bring back Gardy/Anderson for one more year?

    Also keep in mind, Marlins fans are apathetic no matter what, if the Twins want to keep butts in the seats at Target Field they realize they need to turn things around sooner then later.

    I'm not saying gut the entire farm system for a win now campaign, but this team needs top of the rotation pitching now and moving forward. There are three ways to get that.
    1. Overspend in free agency- Probably not the best idea, since you will also often times lose a draft pick and end up bidding against Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Angels etc.
    2. Draft/Bring up through your system- Other then Berrios the Twins don't have a true "ace" or "ace-lite" pitcher in the minors at this point, and he is at least 3-4 years away. I like Gibson as a #2 but you need more than that, everyone else projects as a#3-#5.
    3. Trade for one- A guy like Shields I still maintain is going to cost significantly more then Johnson and more then the Twins will want to give up. So trading Rosario sucks, but if you can get 4-5 years of Josh Johnson back for it I think you have to consider making that move, otherwise the Twins will literally go into 2013 with a #3 type pitcher as their ace.
    You are proposing to do #1 and #3 if you trade for Johnson with a huge extension. The Twins would be better off not giving up prospects and paying a little more for Greinke. Greinke might not be as good as Johnson but he's significantly more durable.

    I like how people are quick to say that they knew something was wrong with Baker last year when Johnson typically misses a couple of starts a season and was shut down for most of one season due to arm issues. there is absolutely no way that the Twins should give a guy like Johnson a 4/75+ extension even if they didn't have to give up any prospects.

  4. #124
    Only reason that the Twins would be in the bidding for Johnson is cause of his pending FA/arm troubles.
    MN has NEVER been one to take a chance like this....so it will be interesting if they enter the bidding.
    What will other teams offer up as a gamble for him. If its one high end prospect (Rosario or Arcia for ex) and a mid-tier (Benson or Hermsen) like ANA did for Grienke....its well worth the shot, even if they want a legit MLB player like Span or Revere. It is a HUGE gamble, but this team has never gone 'all in' & management may want to finally take a shot.

  5. #125
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,077
    Like
    14
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    but this team has never gone 'all in' & management may want to finally take a shot.
    This makes no sense at all. Why would they choose this year? They have lost 90 games in two consecutive seasons and they need WAY MORE than JJ to be a good team.

    The best course of action is not doing anything to screw up the future. Things that will screw up the future is trading good prospects and signing average players to long contracts. For now the team needs to target guys on reasonable 2-3 yr deals like Willingham and it is going to have to take its lumps. Rebuilding awful teams doesn't happen in one offseason.

  6. #126
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,575
    Like
    7
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    3 of his past 4 seasons. 33, 31, 28 starts. Yes, that is not EVERY start but its not like he is missing huge chunks of time.

    There is a huge difference between Johnson and Pavano, for one Johnson actually is able to strike people out and a top of the rotation type guy, Pavano was/is a back end of the rotation type guy.

    Also Johnson was "hurt" in 2007/2008 because he was having Tommy John surgery. It's not like he was going on and off the disabled list for various aliments Pavano Yankee style.
    The point was the Twins cannot afford to had a player making that kind of money hurt and not playing. Johnnson's career is not about playing a full season. Can I make it any simpler for you. By innings pitched per year with starts per year, Johnson does not rate that kind of money from an organization like the Twins. I won't clutter things up with examples of how this works because it only seems to confuse you.

  7. #127
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,611
    Like
    32
    Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    3 of his past 4 seasons. 33, 31, 28 starts. Yes, that is not EVERY start but its not like he is missing huge chunks of time.

    There is a huge difference between Johnson and Pavano, for one Johnson actually is able to strike people out and a top of the rotation type guy, Pavano was/is a back end of the rotation type guy.

    Also Johnson was "hurt" in 2007/2008 because he was having Tommy John surgery. It's not like he was going on and off the disabled list for various aliments Pavano Yankee style.
    The point was the Twins cannot afford to had a player making that kind of money hurt and not playing. Johnnson's career is not about playing a full season. Can I make it any simpler for you. By innings pitched per year with starts per year, Johnson does not rate that kind of money from an organization like the Twins. I won't clutter things up with examples of how this works because it only seems to confuse you.
    Didn't the twins give 184 million a couple year ago to a guy who had "injury issues"?? Also they gave a 3 year contract to Pavano as well, who has had a few injury issues of his own

    Also you aren't confusing me at all, champ. Keep trying to make me out to be the simpleton who doesn't understand baseball...it won't end well for ya.

    Yes in 2011 he was hurt, but in the 3 years surrounding that he averaged over 190 IP, which actually is quite a bit more then ANY pitcher pitched for our 2012 Twins
    Last edited by SpiritofVodkaDave; 10-12-2012 at 12:50 AM.

  8. #128
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,575
    Like
    7
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    3 of his past 4 seasons. 33, 31, 28 starts. Yes, that is not EVERY start but its not like he is missing huge chunks of time.

    There is a huge difference between Johnson and Pavano, for one Johnson actually is able to strike people out and a top of the rotation type guy, Pavano was/is a back end of the rotation type guy.

    Also Johnson was "hurt" in 2007/2008 because he was having Tommy John surgery. It's not like he was going on and off the disabled list for various aliments Pavano Yankee style.
    The point was the Twins cannot afford to had a player making that kind of money hurt and not playing. Johnnson's career is not about playing a full season. Can I make it any simpler for you. By innings pitched per year with starts per year, Johnson does not rate that kind of money from an organization like the Twins. I won't clutter things up with examples of how this works because it only seems to confuse you.
    Didn't the twins give 184 million a couple year ago to a guy who had "injury issues"?? Also they gave a 3 year contract to Pavano as well, who has had a few injury issues of his Also you aren't confusing me at all, champ. Keep trying to make me out to be the simpleton who doesn't understand baseball...it won't end well for ya.

    Yes in 2011 he was hurt, but in the 3 years surrounding that he averaged over 190 IP, which actually is quite a bit more then ANY pitcher pitched for our 2012 Twins
    You mention the problems in the Twins contracts with players with injury history and still can't see giving that large of contract?

    It won't end well for me? ??? Threatning people?

  9. #129
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Posts
    887
    Like
    38
    Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    You mention the problems in the Twins contracts with players with injury history and still can't see giving that large of contract?

    It won't end well for me? ??? Threatning people?
    Typical Dave decompensation rant. Once proven incorrect and unable to sway just by overly repeating the same incorrect argument, he'll decompensate to cursing and then threatening. Lovely.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

  10. #130
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,611
    Like
    32
    Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    You mention the problems in the Twins contracts with players with injury history and still can't see giving that large of contract?

    It won't end well for me? ??? Threatning people?
    Typical Dave decompensation rant. Once proven incorrect and unable to sway just by overly repeating the same incorrect argument, he'll decompensate to cursing and then threatening. Lovely.
    Sigh, you bore me. I wasn't threatening him at all.

  11. #131
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,611
    Like
    32
    Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    3 of his past 4 seasons. 33, 31, 28 starts. Yes, that is not EVERY start but its not like he is missing huge chunks of time.

    There is a huge difference between Johnson and Pavano, for one Johnson actually is able to strike people out and a top of the rotation type guy, Pavano was/is a back end of the rotation type guy.

    Also Johnson was "hurt" in 2007/2008 because he was having Tommy John surgery. It's not like he was going on and off the disabled list for various aliments Pavano Yankee style.
    The point was the Twins cannot afford to had a player making that kind of money hurt and not playing. Johnnson's career is not about playing a full season. Can I make it any simpler for you. By innings pitched per year with starts per year, Johnson does not rate that kind of money from an organization like the Twins. I won't clutter things up with examples of how this works because it only seems to confuse you.
    Didn't the twins give 184 million a couple year ago to a guy who had "injury issues"?? Also they gave a 3 year contract to Pavano as well, who has had a few injury issues of his Also you aren't confusing me at all, champ. Keep trying to make me out to be the simpleton who doesn't understand baseball...it won't end well for ya.

    Yes in 2011 he was hurt, but in the 3 years surrounding that he averaged over 190 IP, which actually is quite a bit more then ANY pitcher pitched for our 2012 Twins
    You mention the problems in the Twins contracts with players with injury history and still can't see giving that large of contract?

    It won't end well for me? ??? Threatning people?
    I never said that Johnson would be the "typical" Twins signing, in fact he would go against the grain quite a bit, which would actually be a good thing. Give me the high risk high reward signing of Josh Johnson rather then paying close to the same amount for the low risk low reward Shawn Marcum or the like. You were the one who said the Twins wouldn't give out a big contract to a player with injury history, I provided two examples of players they did give multi year deals to that had significant injury histories.

    In 3 of the past 4 years he pitched either 200 IP or very close to that, yes, he isn't going to give you every start every year but as long as he gives you 28-30 I would certainly live with that, again give me the high risk, high reward.

  12. #132
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,575
    Like
    7
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    [/QUOTE] never said that Johnson would be the "typical" Twins signing, in fact he would go against the grain quite a bit, which would actually be a good thing. Give me the high risk high reward signing of Josh Johnson rather then paying close to the same amount for the low risk low reward Shawn Marcum or the like. You were the one who said the Twins wouldn't give out a big contract to a player with injury history, I provided two examples of players they did give multi year deals to that had significant injury histories.

    In 3 of the past 4 years he pitched either 200 IP or very close to that, yes, he isn't going to give you every start every year but as long as he gives you 28-30 I would certainly live with that, again give me the high risk, high reward.[/QUOTE]


    If Marcum gets Josh Johnson kind of money you would have a point. He won't get that kind of money, so you don't have a point

  13. #133
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    184
    Like
    0
    Liked 31 Times in 16 Posts
    The Twins farm system is bereft of starting pitching and middle infielders. The only trades that makes sense are ones where we deal from a position of strength or surplus, which means your only trade options are one of: Span / Revere / Hicks / Arcia or either Morneau / Parmelee. Trading Rosario would be a huge mistake in my book as he is the only legit MI prospect they have (don't even talk about Dozier, et al); they are marginal prospects with little chance of being plus major league players). Worsening holes in your system to plug other holes doesn't solve problems long term. If you can trade two of the above mentioned for long term pitching help (feel free to throw in marginal prospects), we have to make the deal. The likely return will not be a pitcher as good as Johnson or Shields but so long as they they are reliable and reasonably consistent then we have at least fixed one spot in the rotation. Then you still have to spend some money on reasonable 2 FA SP on 3 year deals to bridge the gap to the first class of real pitching prospects in our system. Only way to be competitive next year and still not mortgage the farm for the future.

  14. #134
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,611
    Like
    32
    Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
    "If Marcum gets Josh Johnson kind of money you would have a point. He won't get that kind of money, so you don't have a point"

    Marcum will get 4 years at close to 13 mil a season this off season. I am advocating grabbing Johnson and paying him 17 million a year in an extension. Yes Johnson would cost more money, but the upside is so much greater and worth it.

    Also

  15. #135
    Super Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    5,299
    Like
    1,362
    Liked 1,034 Times in 469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post

    This makes no sense at all. Why would they choose this year? They have lost 90 games in two consecutive seasons and they need WAY MORE than JJ to be a good team.

    The best course of action is not doing anything to screw up the future. Things that will screw up the future is trading good prospects and signing average players to long contracts. A.
    Why wouldnt they choose this year? Needing WAY MORE than JJ doesn't mean you shouldn't start assembling WAY MORE. They're going to need starting pitching, from outside the organization, in 2013 AND 2016. Do you think it's realistic they can just sit around until YOU decide they're good enough to get better, and at that point both the pitchers to acquire and the assets to acquire them will magically step forward?

    Sitting back and thinking the moon and stars are going to align in some undefined magical year far off in the future is how you become the KC Royals. You're perpetually trading the present for the future, until one day you wake up and you realize you're 20 years into a 4 year rebuilding plan with nothing to show for it, and you're farther away than you were 20 years ago.

    if they can get a Josh Johnson for a reasonable price, including trading some minor league assets, AND sign him to an extension, they absolutely should do so.

  16. #136
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,611
    Like
    32
    Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post

    This makes no sense at all. Why would they choose this year? They have lost 90 games in two consecutive seasons and they need WAY MORE than JJ to be a good team.

    The best course of action is not doing anything to screw up the future. Things that will screw up the future is trading good prospects and signing average players to long contracts. A.
    Why wouldnt they choose this year? Needing WAY MORE than JJ doesn't mean you shouldn't start assembling WAY MORE. They're going to need starting pitching, from outside the organization, in 2013 AND 2016. Do you think it's realistic they can just sit around until YOU decide they're good enough to get better, and at that point both the pitchers to acquire and the assets to acquire them will magically step forward?

    Sitting back and thinking the moon and stars are going to align in some undefined magical year far off in the future is how you become the KC Royals. You're perpetually trading the present for the future, until one day you wake up and you realize you're 20 years into a 4 year rebuilding plan with nothing to show for it, and you're farther away than you were 20 years ago.

    if they can get a Josh Johnson for a reasonable price, including trading some minor league assets, AND sign him to an extension, they absolutely should do so.
    I'm digging your ideas these days Chief, now if I could only bring you over to the church of DeRosa...

  17. #137
    Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,069
    Like
    97
    Liked 339 Times in 193 Posts
    Oh...so getting is an ace is only a matter of trading marginal prospects and convincing them to take less money?

    Well damn. Why don't we get five of them? Perhaps we should (dare I say) try this approach with middle infield as well? Do you think a bag of balls and two hot chicks will get us Elvis Andrus for the next 17 years?

    Jesus offseason fan speculation can get obnoxious.

  18. #138
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Posts
    887
    Like
    38
    Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Do you think a bag of balls and two hot chicks will get us Elvis Andrus for the next 17 years?
    Woah, woah, woah! TWO hot chicks?! No way we should give up the second hot chick to bring him in. Maybe a 9 and a 6 along with a bag of balls, but Andrus is nowhere near worth 2 10's. Why don't we just trade away Mauer and eat his entire contract as well while we're at it if we're going crazy talk with two 10's.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

  19. #139
    Super Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    5,299
    Like
    1,362
    Liked 1,034 Times in 469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theleviathan View Post
    jesus lev can get obnoxious.
    ftfy.

  20. #140
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,575
    Like
    7
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    [QUOTE=USAFChief;57985]
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post


    Sitting back and thinking the moon and stars are going to align in some undefined magical year far off in the future is how you become the KC Royals. You're perpetually trading the present for the future, until one day you wake up and you realize you're 20 years into a 4 year rebuilding plan with nothing to show for it, and you're farther away than you were 20 years ago.

    if they can get a Josh Johnson for a reasonable price, including trading some minor league assets, AND sign him to an extension, they absolutely should do so.
    Or you become the Oakland A's. Look at their roster and see the talent they aquired by trading good players frooor prospects.

    You make trades like a catcher for a closer, a tantalizing prospect, and a guy you were flat out wrong on.

    The Twins have to figure outt how to develop pitchers. Why would a free agent come here at this time? One would be that they were offered more here than anywhere else. Two would be they did not get an offer they like and had good numbers when pitching a Target Field so a year pitching there would get them a better paycheck. Three is no one else would sign them. Four is they believe they can carry a team to a championship and what better team than the Twins? The least likely of them all for a reason they would sign here: I lived here when I was real young so I am going to sign for a huge discount.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.