Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Breakout candidates for 2012

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries

Breakout candidates for 2012

In 2011, Brian Dozier, Chris Herrmann and a few others had impressive seasons and jumped up prospect ranking lists. Who will do that in 2012?

Here are a couple of names that I think you should watch:

1.) Matt Hauser - the RHP from the University of San Diego throws hard. In 2011, he spent time in Beloit and Ft. Myers and ended the season with one appearance in New Britain. He throws 95 pretty consistently, with two other pitches. He could be the Twins next closer.

2.) Josh Hendricks - The burly Australian 1B showed potential in the GCL in 2011, but when he moves up to Elizabethton in 2012, he could put up some big numbers.

3.) Luis Nunez - The little lefty from the Dominican Republic throws some serious gas and should be the closer in Elizabethton in 2012.

4.) Matt Bashore - The former supplemental 1st round pick from Indiana pitched two innings for the Twins Elizabethton team combined in 2009 and 2010. He returned in 2011 in a limited role. By Instructional League, he was again touching 93 mph with his fastball. Hopefully he is recovered from shoulder and then elbow (Tommy John) surgery and can advance his career.

5.) Lance Ray - If you look at his 2011 batting average in Beloit, it doesn't speak to how hard he hit the ball. Ray has a smooth, left-handed swing. He hits for power to all fields. He can play both corner outfield positions and first base. He should advance to Ft. Myers and put up some big numbers.

who are some candidates in the Twins farm system to jump up prospect rankings in 2012? Discuss.

I'm excited to follow some of the more recent international signees; Felix Jorge, Yorman Landa, Javier Pimentel, Miguel Gonzalaz and Mauricio Silva. Any chance Jorge or Landa see the GCL this summer or will they more than likely remain in the DSL?

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Given the premise (jumping up prospect rankings), I'd say Dan Osterbrock, who has always been spot-on with control but has been hurt last season. I think that he will probably start at NB and have a stellar season. Carlos Gutierrez as well; I hope that his cutter develops into an out pitch. I expect him to be the closer in Rochester and maybe get more than a cup of coffee in the bigs.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    I'm on board for Lance Ray. Overcame a terrible start in 2011,and an August slump to put up some decent numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Given the premise (jumping up prospect rankings), I'd say Dan Osterbrock, who has always been spot-on with control but has been hurt last season. I think that he will probably start at NB and have a stellar season. Carlos Gutierrez as well; I hope that his cutter develops into an out pitch. I expect him to be the closer in Rochester and maybe get more than a cup of coffee in the bigs.
    I'd be interested to hear from some of the more informed blogger types, but Osterbrock doesn't strike me as a candidate to be considered a "prospect". The ceiling seems way too low and he's been derailed a fair amount by injuries.

I guess I tend to favor the higher ceiling/low floor prospects over the alternative which is why I'd expect to see particularly a Felix Jorge, Javy Pimentel or Mauricio Silva have a significant breakout year.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    My definition of prospect generally is anyone who still would be considered a rookie in MLB. So, by that Osterbrock is a prospect for sure. He's going to need impeccable control if he hopes to succeed in AA, AAA or the Bigs because of his lack of velocity. It will be interesting to see how he is able to come back from injury last year.

when I saw Lance Ray last year for a weekend series, he was on the ball with every at bat, ripping doubles off the wall and an HR to the opposite field. He does have a very nice swing.

I like Javier Pimentel. Like Sano, I think he'll be a little big for SS, but he seems strong. Some of those arms appear to have some ceiling, so hopefully a couple of them come ot the States for the EST and GCL.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One guy I really like is Tyler Grimes. He seems like a 'Gardy-type'. He didn't have a great debut, but he dealt with head and wrist issues. I was there when he hurt his wrist- diving for a pop up behind second base to the right field side coming from shortstop- and stayed in when he should have come out. He's a guy that will 'play his tail off' and when he walks off the field there will be some field on him and some of him on the field. I was not a Punto guy, but if Grimes can overcome the errors, it's a great comp.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm with you on Lance Ray. He was one of the more interesting players to follow in the minors for me last year. Started out terribly, striking out more times the first 5 weeks of the season than he did the entirety of the year before. But he settled in and started mashing good enough to get his numbers up to respectable levels by the end of the year.

Another favorite of mine, is Nate Roberts. He's an on-base machine who scored 55 runs in just 68 games for Beloit. For reference, Beloit's leader on the season in runs scored was Lance Ray with 76 - In 132 games... I don't imagine Roberts will keep getting hit by pitches at the rate he did (29 times in those 68 games), but his regular walk-rate is still high, and he doesn't strike out much. He'll also swipe a few bases.
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lein View Post
    Another favorite of mine, is Nate Roberts. He's an on-base machine who scored 55 runs in just 68 games for Beloit. For reference, Beloit's leader on the season in runs scored was Lance Ray with 76 - In 132 games... I don't imagine Roberts will keep getting hit by pitches at the rate he did (29 times in those 68 games), but his regular walk-rate is still high, and he doesn't strike out much. He'll also swipe a few bases.
    I'm really curious on how Roberts will do, too. And I know he was a 1st round pick but it seems to me that people aren't as excited about Michael as they should be.

Seth - love your book by the way. The truth is I have no idea, but when reading the Prospect Handbook I was struck at Matt Hauser's quiet success in 2011. Playing at 3 levels in one season doesn't happen for most guys. He pitched very well at age 23 in Fort Myers. I sure hope he starts the year at New Britain; if he has some early success, perhaps we could see him in Rochester sometime during the season. I'm bullish on this guy, especially with a fastball that can touch 97 and a sharp slider.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Thank you! I believe that Hauser is my highest ranked RP prospect, although Lester Oliveros has to be close too.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Upper level hitters: Aaron Hicks (jumping up after falling on most lists), Evan Bigley
    Middle level hitters: Lance Ray, Daniel Ortiz, Daniel Santana
    Lower level hitters: Kennys Vargas (eventually), Max Kepler, Niko Goodrum

Upper level pitchers: Lester Oliveros, Matt Hauser, Carlos Gutierrez, Delois Guerra
    Middle level pitchers: Clint Dempster, Manuel Soliman, Matt Bashore
    Lower level pitchers: Angel Mata