Thread: Gibson shines in AFL debut

Gibson shines in AFL debut

Twins' prospect Kyle Gibson turned in an impressive performance in his Arizona Fall League debut, to help Peoria blank Phoenix 6-0 on Thursday. Gibson pitched five innings and allowed four hits, while striking out eight and walking none. Fellow Twins' prospects Michael Tonkin, Logan Darnell and Caleb Thielbar pitched four innings of scoreless relief for the Javelinas, to preserve the shutout. Twins' outfield prospect Nate Roberts had a big day offensively for the Javelinas. He collected two hits, walked, stole a base, drove in a run and scored a run.

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 617 Times in 331 Posts
    8K's in 5IP vs 1W...impressive, I'll get behind that.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 136 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Best Twins news of the week! I truly don't see a reason, other than lack of effectiveness for Gibson not to start 2013 in the Twins' rotation.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 63 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Best Twins news of the week! I truly don't see a reason, other than lack of effectiveness for Gibson not to start 2013 in the Twins' rotation.
    I think the Twins will put him on a innings limit. I'd like to see them put him in the pen for a bit and then put him in the rotation, like they did with Santana and Liriano, so he gets used to the majors. I don't think he should spend a lot of time in AAA.

Which is, exactly, what the Nats should have done with Strasburg this year - run him in the bullpen the first couple of months, limiting his innings and seeing what kind of ballclub they had, so he could have been a starter the remainder of the season and still held within 170 innings.

Liked 297 Times in 166 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Does anyone have any information regarding the velocity of his fastball in this AFL game?

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 184 Times in 104 Posts
    I'd start him out in AAA for the first couple months then call him up in June so we don't have to start his clock to soon.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    Does anyone have any information regarding the velocity of his fastball in this AFL game?
    According to this recap from Baseball America the FB was registering at 92-94, which is pretty much his pre-surgery velo if not a bit better. (That link also includes some video from his outing.)

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 68 Posts
    Today, Gibson went 3 innings, 57 pitches, 3 hits, 3 Ks, 2 BBs, no runs.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I seen (on gameday) one fastball regisered at 95. Otherwise mostly 93-94. Slider at 86-87.

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 617 Times in 331 Posts
    0.69 ERA and a 9.5 K/BB ratio in 13 innings so far, baby steps for sure but not too shabby.