Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Liriano

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts

Liriano

Would you think about bringing him back on a 1 year, 2-3 mil (+incentives) deal?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Would you think about bringing him back on a 1 year, 2-3 mil (+incentives) deal?
    Yes

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    At this point, I'd just rather move on.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 114 Times in 50 Posts
    To start? No, I've seen enough of that. I think the Twins should be targetting better pitchers than Liriano. De Vries and Deduno may be better than Frankie at this point.

I'd consider bringing him back as a reliever, but not for that much money.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    No f'in way. Let the past be in the past. If you're going to make cosmetic changes in the coaching staff, you do the same on the field.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No no no no no no no no no no!!!!!!!!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    I wouldn't mind; he'd be no worse than the junk-bin pitchers the Twins continually sign most off-seasons, but I think the front office would be stupid to consider it. If they want to show they are moving in a new (winning) direction, they probably should try to show the fans different faces instead of the guys assiciated with the recent losing. This stratagy would proabably also include cutting ties with the likes of Baker, Pavano, Capps, Butera and Casilla. However, the Twins have had a hard time quitting the scholarship program, so this off season I'll be most interested to see if Terry Ryan has the stomach to end the Old Boys Club approach.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 133 Times in 72 Posts
    No save the money for the sweet swinging DeRosa.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think he'll probably cost a little more than that, but I'd be in favor of bringing him back on a one-year deal. Still only 29 and there's quite a bit of upside there. Are people forgetting what a world-beater he was for three months before the Twins traded him?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    I think he'll probably cost a little more than that, but I'd be in favor of bringing him back on a one-year deal. Still only 29 and there's quite a bit of upside there. Are people forgetting what a world-beater he was for three months before the Twins traded him?
    Yeah thats true, but I can't see it being much more than 5 million. He really killed his value by struggling for the Sox down the stretch.

I'd just we rather bring in Liriano then the next Ramon Ortiz, Hernandez, Marquis etc etc I'm not sure I would give him 5 million though, maybe 1 year 3 million that goes up to 5 million if he pitches 180 IP

I would rather have my hair set on fire and have it extinguished with a sledge hammer... I can't believe you would even bring up the topic. If he was the last pitcher left on the planet, I would pick Drew Butera ahead of him.

Liked 1,063 Times in 476 Posts
    Yes. There's a decent chance he'd be the best starter on the 2013 Twins, regardless who else they add this winter.

Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
    Not for the $5 mil suggested, but $2-3, maybe. It's such a tough call because of how inconsistent he is. Overall, we have an idea of what he's going to give you and I think it's time where the Twins just part ways with him.

No, I haven't forgotten about how he was lights out before the trade. I also haven't forgotten about how he pitched in 2011 either.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    time to cut the chord guys. As hard as it is to let Liriano go...it must be done.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 114 Times in 50 Posts
    He had a good June.... but an awful year. Liriano hasn't been a world-beater since 2006.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    If Liriano was a "world beater" this year who has a "decent" chance of being our best starter - I can only imagine what a pitching god like Bruce Chen, Henderson Alvarez, or Luke Hochever would be worth on the open market.

Just a hint, if three months of very good pitching still isn't enough to drop your ERA below 5 - you shouldn't be gushed about. At all. You're a hope and a prayer, not a sound investment.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    If Liriano was a "world beater" this year who has a "decent" chance of being our best starter - I can only imagine what a pitching god like Bruce Chen, Henderson Alvarez, or Luke Hochever would be worth on the open market.

Just a hint, if three months of very good pitching still isn't enough to drop your ERA below 5 - you shouldn't be gushed about. At all. You're a hope and a prayer, not a sound investment.
    I'm not saying he would be a world beater, but I would rather give him 2-3 mil then the next Marquis. At least with a guy like Liriano there is that hope that he becomes a nice bargain.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    He wasn't exactly facing the 27 Yanks in that little 10 game run. 3 NL teams, Oak twice, KC twice, White Sox, Balt and TX. Some good offensive teams in there but a lot of bad lineups, too. TX game was fluky - 6 walks and 5 hits but only 1 run. And it wasn't like he got better in Chicago. Those 10 games were about all that went right for him last year.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is the hope that our new pitching coach will see something nobody else has? If not, then I say no. I would prefer a perhaps left gifted but more stable performer.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    I bet the Yanks will sign him to a 3 to 4 year deal.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast