Thread: Article: Delmon Young: Detroit's Mr. October?

Twins Daily Writer Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries

Article: Delmon Young: Detroit's Mr. October?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Delmon Young launched a solo homer in Tuesday's win over the Yankees.

He got the scoring started in the fourth with blast into the left-field bullpen before Miguel Cabrera plated what turned out to be the winning run with an RBI double in the fifth. Young also had a longball in Game 1, driving in three runs in that contest. He now has seven homers in two postseasons for the Tigers, which is a franchise record.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'll never forget the 2009 ALDS when Delmon came up in extra innings with the game tied, bases loaded, and nobody out. He swung and the first pitch and smoked a line right at Tex. A little higher and to the right, and that's a bases-clearing double. <sigh>

So it was a painful on some level when he smoked that ball to Swisher in extras in game 1, and Swisher did his best Delmon Young imitation in the field on it.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    I love how this will convince some team to overpay for him this off-season.

Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    he sure has been money for the tigers in the playoffs. who would have thunk it?

Liked 358 Times in 203 Posts
    I'm happy for DY. He has had a pretty miserable season. I hoped that the "fresh start" in Detroit last year would be good for him -- and thought that hitting behind Miggy and Prince would be a great thing.

But he has pretty much disappointed all year -- first with the abominable episode in New York and then with overall mediocre play.

I still root for him and consistently checked how he was doing this season so I'm glad to see him having a pretty good post-season so far.

P.S. Delmon, you need to stop going through the buffet line with Prince.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    I can honestly say I am not happy for Delmon, the guy was a nightmare as a player, a complete and utter waste of a talent and even a worse person (he assaulted an ump, then went on an anti-Semitic rant in NYC) I will never root for him to succeed and hope he ends up miserable after his playing days, because he deserves it.

I will however laugh at the team that decides to give him 4-5 mil guaranteed next year for 90 OPS+ while playing DH. The guy literally hit behind 2 of the best 5 or 6 hitters in all of baseball this year and only managed to post a .707 OPS, that is hilariously awful.

Liked 358 Times in 203 Posts
    Delmon Young: Detroit's Mr. October?

Obviously the media (MVP voters?) think so. ALCS MVP.

As I said the summer of 2011, Delmon Young was the big winner in the Twins-Tigers trade.

Liked 12 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Delmon barely managed a .700 OPS in his 600 regular season plate appearances and put up a negative wins above replacement player value despite being paid 12 times the salary of a replacement player. Same old Delmon. More slug than a slugger. Just got Adam Kennedy-kind-of-lucky in the ALCS.

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I cheer for Delmon Young like I cheer for a crack addict to turn his life around.. Delmon I hope you learn to care and that is the extent of my Delmon interest.

If he's run out of basball that would be OK with me. He isn't a Twin because of Who he is!!! He was Given away because of who he is!!!

One of the reasons we are where we are is because of who he is!!!