Thread: Caribbean update

Caribbean update

Twins' prospects Oswaldo Arcia and Aaron Hicks are playing in the Venezuela Winter League, which started play last week. Hicks is batting .357/.400/.429 with a double and two RBI in three games. Arcia is hitting .182/.250/.273 with a double in four games.

Pitcher David Bromberg is also playing in Venezuela. He has started one game and has a 3.38 ERA and 2.25 WHIP, with 4 BB and 3 SO.

Chris Colabello, who played with New Britain this season, is playing in the Mexican League. He's hitting .429/.556/.857 with three doubles and three RBI in two games.

Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
    Thanks for the update. Can you post where you got the numbers from?

Just for clarification, I do know how to use google, I just figured if you're going to update everyone, you might as well throw in links, right?
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They can be found on mlb.com or milb.com. "Winter Leagues"

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gmarais66 View Post
    Twins' prospects Oswaldo Arcia and Aaron Hicks are playing in the Venezuela Winter League, which started play last week. Hicks is batting .357/.400/.429 with a double and two RBI in three games. Arcia is hitting .182/.250/.273 with a double in four games.

Pitcher David Bromberg is also playing in Venezuela. He has started one game and has a 3.38 ERA and 2.25 WHIP, with 4 BB and 3 SO.

Chris Colabello, who played with New Britain this season, is playing in the Mexican League. He's hitting .429/.556/.857 with three doubles and three RBI in two games.
    Hey Seth. Out of Arcia and Hicks - who do you think has the better chance to be an impact Major League Baseball Player?

Hicks seemingly has the tool box to be good at every aspect of the game, but Arcia's batting performance to this juncture has left a very strong impression.

Being that you do much more research than the average fan and that you take the time to travel and watch some Twins minor league teams play in person - I am curious to know your opinion on the question I submitted.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hicks's comp is a slightly less powerful Carlos Beltran. HE can fill the stat sheet and could potentially hit 20 homers, steal some bases, play great defense.

Arcia could potentially hit 30 or so home runs while hitting over .300... Left-handed Miguel Cabrera is saying too much... maybe a Brian Giles type?

Liked 317 Times in 189 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Hicks's comp is a slightly less powerful Carlos Beltran. HE can fill the stat sheet and could potentially hit 20 homers, steal some bases, play great defense.

Arcia could potentially hit 30 or so home runs while hitting over .300... Left-handed Miguel Cabrera is saying too much... maybe a Brian Giles type?
    I think that Hicks will develop some power at some point. Look at Carlos Gomez; some guys just take a little longer.
    The more and more I see Arcia play, the more and more I think "Kubel"; pre-knee injury Kubel. And this is a compliment.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Hicks already has developed some power, he hit as many HR's in 2012 as he had in 2010 and 2011 combined. Gomez is a bad example because he waited until he was 26 to show any signs of power, Hicks is still only 22 and showed a spike already. 20 HR power should be the low to mid end of our expectations for him IMO. The kid has the potential to be a really special player in this league, and at worst looks like an elite defensive CF and an average offensive CF.
    Last edited by SpiritofVodkaDave; 10-16-2012 at 11:10 PM.