Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 391 Times in 205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobs View Post
    "When the team acquired players such as Tony Batista, Ramon Ortiz, Adam Everett, and Craig Monroe, it was straightforward for most people familiar with the most basic modern statistics to predict that they were very unlikely to help the team win baseball games. What changes have been made to the front office to ensure personnel mistakes that could have been so easily avoided will not occur in the future?"
    Metrodome payroll changed to Target Field Payroll.
    This has nothing to do with payroll. The Twins had in house options superior to all of those players.
    Maybe... But the Twins musta felt differently about the in house options at the time. And the 4 players you mention were attempts at bargain value during a time when the Twins were quite serious about bargain shopping.
    You and I have a very different definition of the word "bargain."
    Yeah we must... For me personally... It's a lotta money but I think I pay too much at Starbucks. For a MLB club... Those signings are like shopping at Woolworths.

However... Bargains or not... The definition isn't that important. I think payroll constraints from the dome days and the need for power led to rolling the dice on Monroe and flying to Japan to bring back Batista. Everett was released by Houston and could play a few positions. He was defense... He was never expected to hit.

Its more important to point out that Batista sucked in 2006 but the Twins won 96 games and the Central title. 3rd best record in baseball. The Tigers finished a game behind and won the ALCS that year. Starting in LF was a guy named Craig Monroe who hit 5 playoff home runs in 2006.

Everett and Monroe sucked in 2008 but the Twins won 88 games and tied for the Central top spot losing that one game playoff to the Sox.

The mistakes didn't hurt em that bad and personally I remain under the assumption that occasionally you sign crap with the best intention. Not just the Twins but every team.

I think asking for the assurance you want to throw at TR Is like asking for assurance that every restaurant you try knocks your socks off... Every tie for X mas is exactly your color and style. Demanding to walk through this life with no disappointments whatsoever. It doesn't happen to us... we aree not perfect so why would you expect that kind of perfection from others.

Congrats on a great 2006 season. AL title... 3rd best record in baseball but I'm sorry you have to hang for that Tony Batista signing. Any last words? Do you have any kin to contact?
    The Twins were good in 2006 because of guys like Santana, Liriano, Mauer, Morneau, Hunter, etc etc guys who had come up through the Twins system more or less (yes Liriano and Santana were pick ups/trades but still developed in the minors) that doesn't excuse the fact that they wasted money in free agency on crappy veterans everyone knew would fail.

Hell, I am as big of a Ryan apologist as they come and I think he did a pretty solid job last off-season, but even the Jason Marquis signing reeks of Batista/Ortiz/Hernandez, hopefully Marquis was the last of these type of signings.

During player personnel meetings, is it OK for the scouts to take their shirts off?
    BYTO R.I.P.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Who are 2 or 3 of the best scouts in the Twins personnel system in terms of producing future MLB players? and
    Why have they been successful at that thier jobs? and
    Finally - Who are the (4) sleepers from this past draft and what makes them somewhat special?

Liked 2,297 Times in 1,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    "When the team acquired players such as Tony Batista, Ramon Ortiz, Adam Everett, and Craig Monroe, it was straightforward for most people familiar with the most basic modern statistics to predict that they were very unlikely to help the team win baseball games. What changes have been made to the front office to ensure personnel mistakes that could have been so easily avoided will not occur in the future?"
    Metrodome payroll changed to Target Field Payroll.
    This has nothing to do with payroll. The Twins had in house options superior to all of those players.
    Maybe... But the Twins musta felt differently about the in house options at the time. And the 4 players you mention were attempts at bargain value during a time when the Twins were quite serious about bargain shopping.
    You and I have a very different definition of the word "bargain."
    Yeah we must... For me personally... It's a lotta money but I think I pay too much at Starbucks. For a MLB club... Those signings are like shopping at Woolworths.

However... Bargains or not... The definition isn't that important. I think payroll constraints from the dome days and the need for power led to rolling the dice on Monroe and flying to Japan to bring back Batista. Everett was released by Houston and could play a few positions. He was defense... He was never expected to hit.

Its more important to point out that Batista sucked in 2006 but the Twins won 96 games and the Central title. 3rd best record in baseball. The Tigers finished a game behind and won the ALCS that year. Starting in LF was a guy named Craig Monroe who hit 5 playoff home runs in 2006.

Everett and Monroe sucked in 2008 but the Twins won 88 games and tied for the Central top spot losing that one game playoff to the Sox.

The mistakes didn't hurt em that bad and personally I remain under the assumption that occasionally you sign crap with the best intention. Not just the Twins but every team.

I think asking for the assurance you want to throw at TR Is like asking for assurance that every restaurant you try knocks your socks off... Every tie for X mas is exactly your color and style. Demanding to walk through this life with no disappointments whatsoever. It doesn't happen to us... we aree not perfect so why would you expect that kind of perfection from others.

Congrats on a great 2006 season. AL title... 3rd best record in baseball but I'm sorry you have to hang for that Tony Batista signing. Any last words? Do you have any kin to contact?
    The Twins were good in 2006 because of guys like Santana, Liriano, Mauer, Morneau, Hunter, etc etc guys who had come up through the Twins system more or less (yes Liriano and Santana were pick ups/trades but still developed in the minors) that doesn't excuse the fact that they wasted money in free agency on crappy veterans everyone knew would fail.

Hell, I am as big of a Ryan apologist as they come and I think he did a pretty solid job last off-season, but even the Jason Marquis signing reeks of Batista/Ortiz/Hernandez, hopefully Marquis was the last of these type of signings.
    do I think TR is the greatest GM ever? No... I think he's a man doing a job!!! Do i think he has done better than most? Yes I Do!!!

Can anyone name a GM who hasn't signed a Marquis?

Vodkadave Et tu Brute "hopefully Marquis was the last of these type of signings"

I hope a few more mistakes come thru the door because not seeing them would mean he stopped trying!

Quote Originally Posted by Parker Hageman View Post
    Why joe mauer doesn't heet mor homruns?@?!
    i no rite? i hope JR gets aksed this...i want ansers!
    Joe Mauer should hit more home runs. JMO.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,291 Times in 694 Posts
    People! We don't need to quote the entire thread every time you respond....Sheesh!

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,597 Times in 830 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just read through the interview. There is some really interesting stuff in there and John did a great job with the questions. I'm looking forward to hearing all of your impressions of it when the Handbook ships out tomorrow (for those of you that pre-ordered, that is).

Liked 2,297 Times in 1,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    People! We don't need to quote the entire thread every time you respond....Sheesh!
    Need... Of course not... I don't need it... However I like the concentric squares piling up. They get smaller while get
    larger at the same time. It's a beautiful thing!

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Just read through the interview. There is some really interesting stuff in there and John did a great job with the questions. I'm looking forward to hearing all of your impressions of it when the Handbook ships out tomorrow (for those of you that pre-ordered, that is).
    Whoa! Tomorrow? You say what ships out tomorrow? And this handbook you speak of, mayhap I could acquire it soon? Tomorrow even?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,597 Times in 830 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Whoa! Tomorrow? You say what ships out tomorrow? And this handbook you speak of, mayhap I could acquire it soon? Tomorrow even?
    The five of us spent a month's time and hundreds of hours (maybe even thousands) putting the Handbook together. You're damned right we're promoting the hell out of it.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    [QUOTE=Brock Beauchamp;59506][QUOTE=TheLeviathan;59493]
    The five of us spent a month's time and hundreds of hours (maybe even thousands) putting the Handbook together. You're damned right we're promoting the hell out of it.
    I hope you go to other local's website and write comments to their stories to shamelessly plug your book. Don't bother wwith the Leed's football team

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    You are the metrics geek, ask him about what metrics they use in their analysis of players. You will either be very happy, or others will finally be justified in their comments.In past years when making trades Ryan has found a good number of capable pitchers in other organizations. What does he look for that they other people are missing.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Second Psuedo's question - it's absolutely excellent.
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    Please consider that you are different from a mainstream sports writer and ask questions from your point of view . Terry Ryan has appeared many places. Please use what makes you different from the mainstream and ask questions from that view. It would be a unique opportunity to shed a light on the Twins from a different perspective.

I will laugh if these questions were included in the Jr interview.

There is no pleasing some people.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    There is no pleasing some people.
    Lighten the F*** up. Jesus. I'm ragging Brock.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456