Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 68

Thread: 5 months of.... this?

  1. #1
    Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Posts
    1,562
    Like
    17
    Liked 58 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6

    5 months of.... this?

    Are we really going to go through 5 months of pulling random names and trade ideas out of our asses? I don't even want to read on topic like that. Baseball is so difficult to guess on. Once FA opens and things start to happen I can understand it. But man, this is going to be a long winter if this continues.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

  2. #2
    The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Posts
    1,674
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Like
    6
    Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    318
    If there are particular things you'd like to discuss, you're welcome to get the conversation started. Can't help but notice that this is the only thread you've started all month...

  3. #3
    Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Posts
    1,079
    Like
    132
    Liked 166 Times in 78 Posts
    It's better than 5 months of bitching about 5 months of this type of thread...

  4. #4
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,270
    Like
    32
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Are we really going to go through 5 months of pulling random names and trade ideas out of our asses? I don't even want to read on topic like that. Baseball is so difficult to guess on. Once FA opens and things start to happen I can understand it. But man, this is going to be a long winter if this continues.
    It's what we do every year...

  5. #5
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,641
    Like
    9
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    It is entertaining to have the impossible trades and signings brought up.

  6. #6
    Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Posts
    1,927
    Like
    240
    Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts
    Smerf, I'm right there with you, but it's important to recognize this is TD's first full-fledged offseason. Inexperienced posters are going to be trigger happy; let's face it, many of us have been spoiled by the intellectual etiquette of some Twins fans over the last decade. If intelligent people keep posting (and even taking initiative), the rest will catch on.
    Last edited by PseudoSABR; 10-18-2012 at 03:02 AM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Posts
    1,562
    Like
    17
    Liked 58 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Nick, I will try to come up with some topics that elicit interesting discussion in the next few weeks, sorry I blew up. Its just frustrating to beat horses down all week. On a lighter note, sluts rule.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

  8. #8
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    7,952
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    46
    Liked 1,476 Times in 773 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Yeah, it's frustrating. Those of us who have spent the past ten years on Twins forums know the procedure... As Pseudo mentioned, some of the new posters may be a bit trigger-happy. But that's okay, they'll soon figure it out. TD is a new place and we're just getting our feet under us.

    On the other hand, this "dead zone" only lasts for two months, not five. Once we get near the winter meetings, we'll start seeing real action from front offices and that will generate a lot of quality conversation. Right now, there just isn't much going on.

    And remember, the Offseason Handbook releases in less than a week (if you pre-order). If that doesn't generate quality conversation, nothing will. There's A LOT of content in that thing.

  9. #9
    Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Posts
    1,895
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Like
    1
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    And remember, the Offseason Handbook releases in less than a week (if you pre-order). If that doesn't generate quality conversation, nothing will. There's A LOT of content in that thing.
    I'm excited to see mine show up. Though many ideas I've had to write about, I've decided to wait until the Handbook comes out because I'm sure it's covered in there and covered better than I could do.

    Knowing it comes out the first day of the World Series has me looking forward to the World Series.

  10. #10
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    7,952
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    46
    Liked 1,476 Times in 773 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Knowing it comes out the first day of the World Series has me looking forward to the World Series.
    The Handbook is the only reason I'm looking forward to the Series.

    In the Division Series, I was cheering for Cincinnati, Oakland, Baltimore, and Washington. It was a pretty awful baseball week for me.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    199
    Like
    11
    Liked 52 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Sorry to hijack your thread, but I can't help but wonder if this is thought process is causing the forums to be exclusionary. I have to admit, far-fetched trade possibilities don't interest me to a huge degree, but posts like this make newbies to this site just choose to sit out. In other words, by pushing the concept that the initiates do not have intelligent thought, you are likley holding back the learning process and potentially excluding people who have thoughts that interest you.

  12. #12
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,586
    Like
    1,105
    Liked 527 Times in 347 Posts
    If you are not interested in a thread do not read it. Discouraging discussions in general seems like an odd request for a message board. I do not understand why you would make this request.

  13. #13
    Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Posts
    1,254
    Like
    77
    Liked 307 Times in 149 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    If you are not interested in a thread do not read it. Discouraging discussions in general seems like an odd request for a message board. I do not understand why you would make this request.
    Amen!!
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

  14. #14
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    7,952
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    46
    Liked 1,476 Times in 773 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by LimestoneBaggy View Post
    Sorry to hijack your thread, but I can't help but wonder if this is thought process is causing the forums to be exclusionary. I have to admit, far-fetched trade possibilities don't interest me to a huge degree, but posts like this make newbies to this site just choose to sit out. In other words, by pushing the concept that the initiates do not have intelligent thought, you are likley holding back the learning process and potentially excluding people who have thoughts that interest you.
    Honestly, that was the biggest issue with BYTO and why we're taking a very different approach with TD.

    In any forum community (and god knows, I've been a mod/admin in plenty of them), there are differing levels of knowledge and experienced posters are going to get frustrated with the less experienced ones. Here at TD, we've worked pretty hard (and I'd like to think we've been successful) to bridge that gap and not allow long-time users to trample the inexperienced posters. But that frustration is going to be there in any community and once in awhile, posters are going to vent. It's just part of the cycle and outside of imposing Draconian rules on the forum, there's no getting around that. To counter it, we've imposed somewhat strict rules on calling posters names, implying they are stupid, and bitching that certain threads are a waste of everyone's time. I think we've provided a pretty friendly arena for new posters to learn about baseball. It doesn't mean they won't take their lumps while getting up to speed but they won't be insulted repeatedly in the process of doing so and possibly be chased off before they become part of the community.

    Looking around the baseball world, I think we've done just that with TD. Some of the old BYTOers don't like the more "friendly" nature of TD but that's just how it goes when you jump into a new community with new rules. On the other hand, BYTO was dying because of its no-holds-barred approach to posting. No one could penetrate that community because of how vicious it could be to new users. I think we've reached a fine middle ground with TD. It's not cork-on-the-fork stupid like RubeChat (I mean, honestly... just reading that site for more than a few minutes feels like I'm exposing myself to brain cancer) but it's not "grab the pitchforks and skewer this guy for even mentioning RBI" like BYTO.

    It's a fine line to walk and we're still learning as we go. But given how the community has started to coalesce in under a year, I think we're off to a fine start.

  15. #15
    Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Posts
    1,094
    Like
    15
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    77
    Yeah all these silly random trade ideas are terrible. Let's just wait until Terry Ryan actuall DOES something. Then we can all come here and read the comments where 75% of them will be trashing anything/everything he and the Twins do! Now that's what I call interesting.

    I admit that most of the new thread topics right now hold little interest to me, either. You know what I do about that? I don't read them. Simple, yet for me, effective. At the same time, it would never occur to me to try to tell those who do find that kind of thing to be a worthwhile use of their time that they should not do so.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

    ~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

  16. #16
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,874
    Like
    74
    Liked 351 Times in 175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Are we really going to go through 5 months of pulling random names and trade ideas out of our asses? I don't even want to read on topic like that. Baseball is so difficult to guess on. Once FA opens and things start to happen I can understand it. But man, this is going to be a long winter if this continues.
    Yeah, I get it, you don't like Mark DeRosa, now grow up and move on.

    In all seriousness though, there have only been 1 real trade thread thus far (Josh Johnson) and I started a thread on Chavez and Liriano as well, so I guess I am to blame? But to be honest there was no other new topic on this board other then "Should the Twins trade Mauer?" (This has been beaten to death and its obvious it won't happen)


    The one thing that bugs me is that people feel the need to start there own threads/articles to simply give us there ten point plan to fix the Twins this off-season, to be frank I really don't care to sort through 10 different "articles" by guys who aren't part of the core edit group, I think someone should start a "post your perfect off-season plan here" and keep them all in one thread.

    In general I think there are to many "article" threads that pop up anyways, since many of the non core edit group (nick, bonnes, seth, parker) actually rarely promote discussion. But this seems to be more of an issue in the general baseball chat, I think a simple "awards" thread would be fine instead of multiple people blogging about who they think deserves the MVP award or what not.
    Last edited by SpiritofVodkaDave; 10-18-2012 at 09:05 AM.

  17. #17
    Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Posts
    4,033
    Like
    1,752
    Liked 1,216 Times in 487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    In the Division Series, I was cheering for Cincinnati, Oakland, Baltimore, and Washington. It was a pretty awful baseball week for me.
    You weren't the only one, I drew a big 0-fer as well.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

  18. #18
    Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Posts
    1,094
    Like
    15
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    In all seriousness though, there have only been 1 real trade thread thus far (Josh Johnson) and I started a thread on Chavez and Liriano as well, so I guess I am to blame? But to be honest there was no other new topic on this board other then "Should the Twins trade Mauer?" (This has been beaten to death and its obvious it won't happen)
    See and I thought it was my blog post (that got promoted to "article" status) about Mauer that was "to blame." But it turns out, it was your fault!

    Based on the rest of your comment, however, it appears that you would prefer I and other "non-core" writers keep all of our thoughts to ourselves so we don't keep beating those dead horses you're concerned about. You really might want to consider skipping TD altogether in November because, if they follow the pattern of the past couple of years, once their Offseason Handbook comes out with their own "blueprints" for addressing the Twins' needs, the "core" are going to specifically invite/ask the rest of us to publish our own "blueprints." It sounds like that's exactly what you don't want to see here.

    And unless I really misread things from the onset, one of the primary goals of "the core group" in setting up TD was to provide an avenue for other bloggers and wannabe bloggers to get their stuff read and discussed by more people.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

    ~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

  19. #19
    Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Posts
    1,094
    Like
    15
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    In the Division Series, I was cheering for Cincinnati, Oakland, Baltimore, and Washington. It was a pretty awful baseball week for me.
    You weren't the only one, I drew a big 0-fer as well.
    Add me to the shutout list, as well. It's so bad that last night I found myself halfway rooting for the rain.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

    ~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

  20. #20
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,874
    Like
    74
    Liked 351 Times in 175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    In all seriousness though, there have only been 1 real trade thread thus far (Josh Johnson) and I started a thread on Chavez and Liriano as well, so I guess I am to blame? But to be honest there was no other new topic on this board other then "Should the Twins trade Mauer?" (This has been beaten to death and its obvious it won't happen)
    See and I thought it was my blog post (that got promoted to "article" status) about Mauer that was "to blame." But it turns out, it was your fault!

    Based on the rest of your comment, however, it appears that you would prefer I and other "non-core" writers keep all of our thoughts to ourselves so we don't keep beating those dead horses you're concerned about. You really might want to consider skipping TD altogether in November because, if they follow the pattern of the past couple of years, once their Offseason Handbook comes out with their own "blueprints" for addressing the Twins' needs, the "core" are going to specifically invite/ask the rest of us to publish our own "blueprints." It sounds like that's exactly what you don't want to see here.

    And unless I really misread things from the onset, one of the primary goals of "the core group" in setting up TD was to provide an avenue for other bloggers and wannabe bloggers to get their stuff read and discussed by more people.
    I didn't mean to pick on your "mauer trade" article, and honestly your blogs have the most substance of any of the non core ones, and often times I prefer yours.

    It just seems that sometimes when we come to the forum 70% of the threads are "articles", it's especially cumbersome in the general baseball thread as it really doesn't create any discussion and just clutters things up. (Again do we really need multiple "awards" winners threads/articles?). I'm not saying articles have no place, I just think people should begin to focus more on QUALITY then quantity before they hit the "submit" button on the blog page. Other wise it potentially becomes bleacher report 2.0 (sans 180 mil valuation and slide shows) which is not a good thing

    Also, I never ripped TD or what they are doing here I just was suggesting they should try to make the forums more discussion based and less cluttered with articles in the forums, especially articles which have no real substance, so your snarky suggestion of "skipping TD altogether" is a little ridiculous.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.