Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Terry Ryan Interview - Submit Your Questions

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 812 Times in 512 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Even though it won't be answered, I'm curious if he's going to go after the 2nd tier of free agents, like an Erik Bedard or someone like that...

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobs View Post
    "When the team acquired players such as Tony Batista, Ramon Ortiz, Adam Everett, and Craig Monroe, it was straightforward for most people familiar with the most basic modern statistics to predict that they were very unlikely to help the team win baseball games. What changes have been made to the front office to ensure personnel mistakes that could have been so easily avoided will not occur in the future?"
    Metrodome payroll changed to Target Field Payroll.
    This has nothing to do with payroll. The Twins had in house options superior to all of those players.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    just luv them grammer police .....kewl video

Banned All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot789 View Post
    I thought the Twins had an excellent draft and went away from their usual philosophy in 2012. Who are the players other than Buxton and Berrios in this years draft that you are excited about and which have a chance to become special players down the line (someday)? Patience is a virtue and this 2012 draft class seems to have produced well at thier respective MILB levels. Who surprisingly stood out at instructionals as well?
    I like the idea of the question a lot but I can already see the response... "There are a lot of kids we like in the draft and time will tell blah blah blah". Ryan isn't going to tip his hand in next year's draft.

On the other hand, if you make the question more about last year's draft and the implied philosophy change that went behind it, I think it would provide a more substantive answer.
    Agreed, I'm only on board with Ryan staying because of this percieved change in philosophy on pitching.

I'd also like to know which of the 2012 pitching class will get a chance to start in 2013.
    so we draft relievers who wernt good enough to start for there college teams and we try them as starters in the minors , and soon will wonder why they have arm problems?

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    so we draft relievers who wernt good enough to start for there college teams and we try them as starters in the minors , and soon will wonder why they have arm problems?
    Interesting thought and it might worth its own discussion (and y'all know how I feel about the Twins' brass). That said:

Several of the college relievers they drafted last draft have started before. The same with the 2011 draft. The old scout complaint that "a guy has only one pitch so he better be a reliever" should be mediated during player development (and the Twins practically never did that - that's part (like 20% - small) of the reason I am saying 'good riddance' to Rantz).

So: the margins and definitions of a reliever and a starter are vary hairy. Couple fun Twins names to throw into the mix: Rick Aguilera and Brian Duensing. And they both fought (and one is still fighting) to be starters. Eddie and LaTroy gave the ghost up early. But, yeah, in my book at least 5 of the kids they drafted as relievers the last 2 drafts can be starters.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Interesting thought and it might worth its own discussion (and y'all know how I feel about the Twins' brass). That said:

Several of the college relievers they drafted last draft have started before. The same with the 2011 draft. The old scout complaint that "a guy has only one pitch so he better be a reliever" should be mediated during player development (and the Twins practically never did that - that's part (like 20% - small) of the reason I am saying 'good riddance' to Rantz).

So: the margins and definitions of a reliever and a starter are vary hairy. Couple fun Twins names to throw into the mix: Rick Aguilera and Brian Duensing. And they both fought (and one is still fighting) to be starters. Eddie and LaTroy gave the ghost up early. But, yeah, in my book at least 5 of the kids they drafted as relievers the last 2 drafts can be starters.
    I wasn't crazy about the reliever-happy nature of last year's draft.

On the other hand, I think the front office deserves some time to play their hand. It's obvious that they're bringing a different brand of thinking to the table and I'm curious to see how it unfolds. Are we looking at a new Moneyball or have the Twins gone insane? Time will tell.

At the very least, the concept is intriguing.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I see several comments about Baker. I'm pretty sure that Baker's option hasn't been picked up yet. If I am wrong, please correct. My guess is that Ryan won't comment on him if the option hasn't been picked up (not likely, is it?) or he hasn't been signed to a new contract.

I would be curious to know what the plans are for Sano and Rosario next year. It seems they should move up to High A, but the Twins seem to move players up at a relatively conservative rate. Both players obviously have some defensive issues to work on.

Liked 2,296 Times in 1,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    "When the team acquired players such as Tony Batista, Ramon Ortiz, Adam Everett, and Craig Monroe, it was straightforward for most people familiar with the most basic modern statistics to predict that they were very unlikely to help the team win baseball games. What changes have been made to the front office to ensure personnel mistakes that could have been so easily avoided will not occur in the future?"
    This has nothing to do with payroll. The Twins had in house options superior to all of those players.
    Maybe... But the Twins musta felt differently about the in house options at the time. And the 4 players you mention were attempts at bargain value during a time when the Twins were quite serious about bargain shopping.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts

On the other hand, I think the front office deserves some time to play their hand. It's obvious that they're bringing a different brand of thinking to the table and I'm curious to see how it unfolds. Are we looking at a new Moneyball or have the Twins gone insane? Time will tell.

The Twins are looking for value. This is exactly the kind of risk we've been asking the Twins brass to take (and the same people criticize both risk-adverse and risk-heavy approaches it seems). It's not a bad idea to look for starters who turned into relievers because of injury or team circumstances, as such players would be undervalued for their starting ability. I'm not sure it will work out in the long run, but it's a moneyball* approach for sure.

*I define moneyball as valuing that which is undervalued.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    So John, do we have to wait for the Handbook to find out which questions you actually asked? Or are you going to give us a teaser and at least provide us with the questions, if not his responses?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 59 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries

Draft successful

Those relievers were drafted lower in the draft. yes they were top 10 picks but not 1 or 2. If Buxton and Barrios make the team then this is a successful draft regardless. If one of the relievers is able to make it as a starter, then that much more and if one of those relivers makes it as a reliever too then that is a great draft in a supposed weak draft class.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 59 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Also I would like for TR to give you a sample scouting report that you could post on the website so we can see how evaluating takes place and types of notes are taken and part of the evaluation process. We already know the numbers side of baseball, I would like to understand the scouting side better too.

Quote Originally Posted by scottz View Post
    1) Scott Diamond had a solid year and was the best pitcher on the major league staff in 2012. Does the front office think he can be more than "solid"? That is, can he be significantly better than he was this year?

2a) Who is the highest ranking member of the front office who is fluent in Spanish or any language other than English? (Note from scottz: I have no idea of the answer to this...if anyone on TD knows, please feel free to reply.) 2b) Would the team be better served by having more language-speaking abilities in the front office, given baseball's global-reach?

3a) Is there a specific full-time role for stats-based player evaluation within the front office? Who handles that role? (Note from scottz: Again, if anyone here knows, feel free to reply.) 3b) Would the team be better served by having a full-time stats-based evaluator?
    Sorry if someone has already covered this, but...

2b) I believe the Twins said that they would like to add a coach that speaks Spanish.

3a) Yes there is, his name is Jack Goin. His name is on the "front office" list of people on the Twins website.

In response to some of the "What advanced statistics do you use?" questions... good luck with that. I interviewed Dave St. Peter back in February and I asked him that very question and he was not willing to share very much. He specifically cited Moneyball and that he felt it was a poor decision by Billy Beane to reveal his secrets.

Banned All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Bryz-Gornia View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scottz View Post
    1) Scott Diamond had a solid year and was the best pitcher on the major league staff in 2012. Does the front office think he can be more than "solid"? That is, can he be significantly better than he was this year?

2a) Who is the highest ranking member of the front office who is fluent in Spanish or any language other than English? (Note from scottz: I have no idea of the answer to this...if anyone on TD knows, please feel free to reply.) 2b) Would the team be better served by having more language-speaking abilities in the front office, given baseball's global-reach?

3a) Is there a specific full-time role for stats-based player evaluation within the front office? Who handles that role? (Note from scottz: Again, if anyone here knows, feel free to reply.) 3b) Would the team be better served by having a full-time stats-based evaluator?
    Sorry if someone has already covered this, but...

2b) I believe the Twins said that they would like to add a coach that speaks Spanish.

3a) Yes there is, his name is Jack Goin. His name is on the "front office" list of people on the Twins website.
    adding AAA pitching coach is a must , last year i thought the twins should have picked up a spanish speaking catcher to be frankies personal catcher and mentor ala pudge rodrequez

Sorry, really should have condensed my thoughts....

My boss from the Twins (I'm an usher at Target Field, for those that didn't know) gave us our own Terry Ryan Q&A back in August. Here are the questions that he had already answered (so there's no need to ask these to him again). Just so you all know, I believe he was answering these questions via email, which is why the answers are so short.

Why is there no (affiliated) Minor League teams in Minnesota? Wisconsin has 2, Iowa has 5-6, Minnesota has 0. We have the communities to support one (Rochester, Mankato, St. Cloud, etc.) and have a league (Midwest and to a stretch PCL) to play in. It would be nice to not have to travel 6 hours to Beloit to see the closest affiliate. Thoughts?
    The Twins don’ decide what city the affiliate is in. The clubs are usually privately owned. If somebody wanted to join the Midwest League, they could buy an existing franchise, possibly get league approval, & move the club.

With the limited payroll that the Twins have to work with on a year to year basis what are you doing to try and rebuild the minor league system with potential pitchers that can help us for the future? Is the international market a good way to build to help in the very near future, or can it strap cash that you can use for the draft and find a hidden gem?
    We do not have a limited payroll. We are in the top 10 in the game. Draft & develop is the best way to get pitching. Trades, waiver claims, international acquisitions, Rule 5 selections all are avenues to pursue for pitching.

While Liriano was pitching so well, has the success been partially attributed to Butera being a personal catcher, and when the GM's inquired about acquiring Francisco, were they looking to deal for Butera as well?
    We don’t believe in personal catchers. Liriano is doing fine with the CWS regardless of who might catch him.

You were hired this past offseason as interim GM but are still GM. Are you still looking for the right guy to replace you or do you wish to continue with this position for a few more years?
    That decision will be made at the end of the year.

What is your most memorable moment working for the Twins?
    Winning the 1987 World Series.

How do you find such quality players when you look to fill up the non-roster invitee roster? It seems like you always find god players, such as Jared Burton.
    We rely on our scouts & minor league staff to make recommendations.

When sifting through players that go through waivers, possible non-roster invitees, etc., is there something in particular that you look for in a player? To use Burton as an example, since he was coming off of injury, why did you think that he would be a good candidate to fill out the bullpen? Did his past success with the Reds play into the decision, even though it was several years ago?
    All of the above. We knew Burton’s history; all he had to do was get healthy. Our scouts, minor league & major league staffs all contribute to player acquisitions.

1) What do you consider the most sought out qualities of an individual that would be successful working in baseball.
    Work ethic, common sense, accountability, drive, team oriented.
    2) When mentioned, the ‘Twins way’ often has an un-definable or ever evolving quality, when considering it, what aspects of a ball player do you consider to uphold this term?
    There is no Twins way.
    It is the right way. A player has to play the game the right way. That is all we expect.
    3) If you were to work in another area of baseball, within the Twins organization, what department most peaks your interest and why?
    Minor leagues & scouting.

Why did you trade Liriano with three days left until the deadline? Doesn't it make sense to wait until teams get more desperate and the offers improve?
    We did our homework. We knew the offers. We knew the competition & interest. We certainly didn’t want Francisco to get hurt.

Which advanced statistics do the Twins employ the most to complement their other more traditional scouting methods?
    Most advanced stats are used but you have to make a decision on all forms of information. Scouting, age, makeup, stats, need, projection, contract information etc.

Many people focus on the starting pitching as a position of need, but one that I think that has been lacking for several years now is the bench. With the exceptions of Jim Thome (as he was originally signed to be a pinch-hitter and occasional DH) and Sean Burroughs (who didn't turn out as well as we hoped), the bench has usually been occupied by the likes of Matt Tolbert, Alexi Casilla, Drew Butera, and other light-hitting players. This has left Gardy with few pinch-hitting options late in games, meaning he often has to turn to someone like Casilla, who is a career .248 hitter.
    Additionally, when a starter goes down with an injury, the Twins have often had to turn to the "replacement level" player to fill in the hole. For example, this is like Butera and Rene Tosoni last year when Kubel and Mauer were hurt. Yes, on the defensive side they are just fine, but their offense did not help out the team. However, a player I think could provide both offensive and defensive value is Eric Hinske, who has experience at both outfield and infield corners, and also has some power in his bat.
    With that said, I finally get to my question. Am I correct in my assessment that (excluding Thome), the Twins look for players with defensive versatility.
    Hinske is a nice bench player. He decided to stay with the Braves. We look for good baseball players. As you have seen this year, we’re carrying 13 pitchers so pitching is the name of the game.

What has been your most satisfying and least satisfying moment as the Twins GM?
    Qualifying for the playoffs is most satisfying & injuries are the most frustrating.
    What three aspects do feel you help bring to the organization?
    Work ethic, accountability, loyalty.
    What was your path to how you became a major league GM?
    Player, scout, scouting director, assistant G.M., G.M.

What advice do you have for anyone trying to start a career in baseball?
    Get your foot in the door & work your way up.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    They don't believe in personal catchers, except when they say Pavano pretty much has Butera as his catcher...

Thanks for posting these, that's awesome. I'm not sure he wasn't full of it in at least a few of his responses...like the personal catcher thing.

Another: 'As you have seen this year, we’re carrying 13 pitchers so pitching is the name of the game.'

Yet, he keeps ignoring starting pitching. We needed to carry 13 pitchers because of that (and Gardy's interesting use of the bullpen).
    Last edited by ThePuck; 10-21-2012 at 04:26 PM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Maybe... But the Twins musta felt differently about the in house options at the time. And the 4 players you mention were attempts at bargain value during a time when the Twins were quite serious about bargain shopping.
    You and I have a very different definition of the word "bargain."

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Originally Posted by Winston Smith
    I'd like to know what qualifications Vavra has to be an infield coach?
    I believe he was an infielder in the minors.

He never played in the major leagues this was due to two injuries, the first happened in his last triple A game when a runner was stealing and Vavra picked the throw from the catcher only to have the runners cleat shatter his thumb leaving him to have pins put in. = Wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Vavra

Liked 2,296 Times in 1,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You and I have a very different definition of the word "bargain."
    Yeah we must... For me personally... It's a lotta money but I think I pay too much at Starbucks. For a MLB club... Those signings are like shopping at Woolworths.

However... Bargains or not... The definition isn't that important. I think payroll constraints from the dome days and the need for power led to rolling the dice on Monroe and flying to Japan to bring back Batista. Everett was released by Houston and could play a few positions. He was defense... He was never expected to hit.

Its more important to point out that Batista sucked in 2006 but the Twins won 96 games and the Central title. 3rd best record in baseball. The Tigers finished a game behind and won the ALCS that year. Starting in LF was a guy named Craig Monroe who hit 5 playoff home runs in 2006.

Everett and Monroe sucked in 2008 but the Twins won 88 games and tied for the Central top spot losing that one game playoff to the Sox.

The mistakes didn't hurt em that bad and personally I remain under the assumption that occasionally you sign crap with the best intention. Not just the Twins but every team.

I think asking for the assurance you want to throw at TR Is like asking for assurance that every restaurant you try knocks your socks off... Every tie for X mas is exactly your color and style. Demanding to walk through this life with no disappointments whatsoever. It doesn't happen to us... we aree not perfect so why would you expect that kind of perfection from others.

Congrats on a great 2006 season. AL title... 3rd best record in baseball but I'm sorry you have to hang for that Tony Batista signing. Any last words? Do you have any kin to contact?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast