Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Baxendale and Berrios

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 174 Times in 108 Posts
    Blog Entries

Baxendale and Berrios

John Sickels has a preview of comments on these two at his site.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/...-from-the-2012

Sounds encouraging.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Thanks for posting the link.

I hope we will look back on the 2012 draft and view it as a great success with all of the arms we picked up after Buxton.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by minn55441 View Post

I hope we will look back on the 2012 draft and view it as a great success with all of the arms we picked up after Buxton.
    There were 630 pitchers drafted in the 2012 draft. That 22 more than all the other positions combined and an average of 21 pitchers per team.

We drafted 24 pitchers...slightly above league average...and we drafted a lot of relievers, including two closers from the same college.

Thing is, we drafted 35 pitchers in the 2011 MLB draft. So when listening to the Twins brag about how they really went pitching heavy in THIS draft, I was like, huh?
    Last edited by ThePuck; 10-21-2012 at 10:25 AM.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 394 Times in 208 Posts
    Not to nitpick but this should prob go in the minor league thread.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by minn55441 View Post

There were 630 pitchers drafted in the 2012 draft. That 22 more than all the other positions combined and an average of 21 pitchers per team.

We drafted 24 pitchers...slightly above league average...and we drafted a lot of relievers, including two closers from the same college.

Thing is, we drafted 35 pitchers in the 2011 MLB draft. So when listening to the Twins brag about how they really went pitching heavy in THIS draft, I was like, huh?
    They probably meant they drafted a lot of pitchers in the early rounds

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Also, there were 10 more rounds in 2011

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by righty8383 View Post
    Also, there were 10 more rounds in 2011
    And they drafted 11 more pitchers...so they still drafted heavier last year in the pitcher department.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpantheMan View Post
    [
    They probably meant they drafted a lot of pitchers in the early rounds
    In 2011, 4 of our top 6 were pitchers. In 2012, 4 of our top 6 were pitchers. Same amount.
    In 2011, 6 of our first 10 picks were pitchers. In 2012, 7 of the first 10 picks were pitchers.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    What is the point over complaining how many pitchers were taken? They comprise half the roster and are the most difficult to guess talent wise.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    What is the point over complaining how many pitchers were taken? They comprise half the roster and are the most difficult to guess talent wise.
    Nobody at all is complaining over the amount of pitchers taken. Not sure where you get that idea from if you follow the conversation. What I was saying is that upper management made a huge deal about how many pitchers they drafted this draft, and some fans are as well....as if it's a step away from the norm for the team. I was saying it really wasn't that far out of norm...barely over league average, a lesser percentage taken compared to the 2011 draft.

In other words, they're throwing a lot of horse poo around...and some are buying it.

and yeah, of course pitchers are drafted more than anyone else...on would think so based on rosters