Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should Twins Go After Clubhouse Cancer Yunel Escobar?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 216 Times in 148 Posts
    Love all the personal attacks.

Just.

awesome.

as for the topic, no. Without pitching, signing a 29 year old fielder makes no sense.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    well eye certinley cant' arguu wit tht logic...
    I believe it's spelled 'lojik'

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 184 Times in 104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    Yunel Escobar sucks?

Career .743 OPS with good defense.
    I'm more curious of that .655 and .644 OPS in two of the past 3 seasons. Also I'm not a fan of signing idiot homophobes to this team.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Yunel Escobar sucks?

I'm more curious of that .655 and .644 OPS in two of the past 3 seasons. Also I'm not a fan of signing idiot homophobes to this team.
    The Twins MI OPS'd .590 last year. His DOWN years look pretty damn good imo.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 198 Times in 125 Posts
    Yunel Escobar sucks?

Those down years took place hitter happy Toronto, the city where journymen vets go to suddenly become offensive anomolies. Yet Escobar does not thrive for some reason. A reputation for a poor attitude and diminishing offensive ability probably aren't things that will help a losing team turn things around.

Yunel Escobar sucks?

Oh yay, no we are back to the "well X player is better then Nishioka, or Y player is better then Butera" argument. Would escobar be better then what the Twins have in house? Highly likely, but they need to be aiming higher and better. Plus like I mentioned, I personally would prefer they not sign some moronic homophobe.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Those down years took place hitter happy Toronto, the city where journymen vets go to suddenly become offensive anomolies. Yet Escobar does not thrive for some reason. A reputation for a poor attitude and diminishing offensive ability probably aren't things that will help a losing team turn things around.
    Rogers center is a pretty neutral park, but their hitting coach preaches an aggressive approach to hitting. I hope Bruno does too.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Dan Gladden View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    Thrylos just wanted to get his point across in this post that he doesn't like ownership, doesn't like the GM, doesn't like the manager, just like he does in every other post. I believe he thinks we just don't get his dislike of the current regime.

Thry - we get it. It's why you are approaching 1900 posts. Clearly there's nothing you like about the Twins, so why not just transfer your loyalties to the Phillies?

My point was that the Twins need a major upgrade at MI because Florimon, et al are clearly not the answer. Pseudo, you are correct, I believe we could get him cheaply because he is percieved as a cancer. $5-6M per season is about right for a decent (not great) SS, it's not far from what we should be paying JJ Hardy. Be that as it may, I do think that Escobar could be a disruptive force in the clubhouse. I also don't think that that should be an automatic disqualifier, if he can help this club back to respectability. He's only 29. I believe that the trade route will ultimately give us the answer at SS. This might be one avenue, but there might be other options out there if we use our organizational strength of outfield depth. Unfortunately, good outfielders are a dime a dozen and will be available on the open market.
    you think because a person doesnt like management or ownership , or if a person expects more then what the twins will do they should change teams???? hears a little tip , if you dont like what he writes dont read it ....but most learned fans whos noses arnt attached to management rear end know its time for new blood, as for trading for a shortstop why go after a 29 year old if we are not going after 2 front of the rotation pitchers? it will be plain to see if the front office wants to win or just wants to send up a smoke screen by what they pursue if pitching.....if its 2nd and 3rd tier inning eaters why sign a 29 year old when he will be retired before we have a decent starting rotation?
    Does anybody really think they could get 2 #1-2 starters today without gutting the minors and destroying their payroll? Where would that put them?
    of our top 20 prospect i see maybe 7 or 8 who may posibly contribute and only 5 that may actually be more then bit players, the key word is maybe,so with tampa and miami in reduction mode jump at there 2 starters josh johnson and scott shields ..even if we only keep them for 4 months and then use them to rebuild our minors .the biggest mistake the front office can make is to sit back and see what falls to us ..now is the time to be aggressive ...if we aint going for it , then trade off what we got and build towards 2015 ,just stop blowing smoke up the fans a**es and claiming we will be competitive ...

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 617 Times in 331 Posts
    A 29 year old MI who isn't anywhere near a significant enough upgrade from what we already have, what is this discussion about, organizational depth? No thanks.

By the way, as far as Escobar being some raving homophobe, here is an interesting article from an entirely outside of baseball perspective. It is one of very cultural relevance however.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/comme...rticle4582951/

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If he can be had for a song, it's worth considering.

As for the "he's not enough of an upgrade over what we have" argument - what do you at shortstop?

Go with Florimon? Or is there someone else you'd bring in?

I'm not convinced Florimon is the answer, and the list of available free agents is pretty weak.

One of the things Ryan needs to figure out is how to improve the team while giving up as little as possible. Seems like this has the potential to be the type of low risk/high reward move the Twins need to make.

Liked 1,215 Times in 552 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by one_eyed_jack View Post

As for the "he's not enough of an upgrade over what we have" argument - what do you at shortstop?

I'm not convinced Florimon is the answer, and the list of available free agents is pretty weak.

One of the things Ryan needs to figure out is how to improve the team while giving up as little as possible. Seems like this has the potential to be the type of low risk/high reward move the Twins need to make.

Concur on all counts.

Senior Member All-Star

Oh yay, no we are back to the "well X player is better then Nishioka, or Y player is better then Butera" argument. Would escobar be better then what the Twins have in house? Highly likely, but they need to be aiming higher and better. Plus like I mentioned, I personally would prefer they not sign some moronic homophobe.
    he's significantly better than anything the Twins have had. And he's significantly better than anything available on the market unless you can get 55 yr old Marco Scutaro (my top target). This team needs players that are good at baseball and Yunel can hit a .700 OPS with good defense at SS. Start suggesting other ideas since Floriman, carroll, Dozier (there's still a little hope though), eddie escobar and anything else the Twins have suck.

he's significantly better than anything the Twins have had. And he's significantly better than anything available on the market unless you can get 55 yr old Marco Scutaro (my top target). This team needs players that are good at baseball and Yunel can hit a .700 OPS with good defense at SS. Start suggesting other ideas since Floriman, carroll, Dozier (there's still a little hope though), eddie escobar and anything else the Twins have suck.
    Aim high.
    Trade Span for Andrus.

Senior Member All-Star
    That would be awesome but unrealistic imo. Texas should trade for pitching and they need to.

I would have a backup plan in place if i were you.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 44 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    His contract:
    2013 - 5M
    2014 - 5M club option no buyout
    2015 - 5M club option no buyout

As long as we're not giving up too much, I think you have to trade for him. That contract is just way too good! Their bullpen is thin so if they're just asking for a cost controlled reliever or two I'd pull the trigger.

Worst case scenario - 2012 wasn't just an off year, his play continues to decline and our SS search continues in 2014 with 5M coming off the books

Best case scenario - 2012 was an off year and he plays like the 2007-2011 version of himself and we get a 3-4 WAR SS for 5M a year.. Up to 3 years.
    Last edited by JP3700; 10-23-2012 at 05:42 AM.

Liked 709 Times in 456 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by one_eyed_jack View Post

The Twins have moved every head case out the door over the years and have gotten very little in return for those head cases. It's a pretty strong guess that they(Gardenhire) don't want any.

Personally, I have never met the guy. On paper it looks like he has talent. I watched him play a handful of games with the Braves. I saw him dog a couple of plays and thought to myself "what the hell?". Hadn't read anything about him being a problem when I saw him dog it. Just eyeballed it.

Later I started reading some stuff about his attitude. Then he was given away to the Jays which is a pretty big clue.

I have seen a couple of Jays games and don't recall seeing him dog anything in a Jays uniform. I've read some attitude stuff but I don't know if its leftover stuff from the Braves and of course the pointless eye black thing which I don't care about... I just think it was a stupid thing to do. Pointless at a baseball game and doesn't mean anything by itself but it means a lot as its added to the collective.

That's all the info I have... Nothing first hand... Based on that... I'll take Florimon for awhile and hope to improve the position later.
    Last edited by Riverbrian; 10-23-2012 at 07:16 AM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 121 Times in 54 Posts
    If the choice is between Escobar and Florimon, I'd take Escobar. But my preference would be neither.

That would be awesome but unrealistic imo. Texas should trade for pitching and they need to.

I would have a backup plan in place if i were you.
    First off, who knows how willing Toronto is going to be to trade him, and who knows what the cost will be? There is no guarantee they will take pennies on the dollar for him.

Here is my backup plan: Sign one of Kelly Johnson, Stephen Drew, Jeff Keppinger or Marco Scutaro. It's not like they NEED a SS, if they upgrade 2B they can live with Dozier/Carroll/Florimon etc at SS.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 45 Times in 30 Posts
    Morneau for Escobar straight up? Would this be a good deal for the Twins, or just a salary dump?

Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    Morneau for Escobar straight up? Would this be a good deal for the Twins, or just a salary dump?
    no way

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast