Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: Paul Molitor's coaching snub is puzzling

Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Paul Molitor's coaching snub is puzzling

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
    Well it could be that, if Gardenhire is let go at the end of the year, Molitor could be a "fresh" candidate, without the burden of having worked with Gardy. That would signal a change of direction. If they hire Molitor now, besides what the article says, in the sense of how uncomfortable could it be for Gardy, hiring Molitor as manager later could be seen as "more of the same".

Does Molitor have managerial experience anwhere??? I dont think so. So how do you hire him as Twins manager without any minor league mgr. experience. Better to promote Glynn much better to bring on somebody like Manny Acta with MLB managerial experience.

Make Molitor hitting instructor not manager.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    I believe it was on Dan Barreiro's show that LEN3 said that he thinks the Twins view Molitor as a manager, not a coach, and they don't want Gardy having to look over his shoulder at a possible replacement all season.

Liked 140 Times in 87 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DAM DC Twins Fans View Post
    Does Molitor have managerial experience anwhere??? I dont think so. So how do you hire him as Twins manager without any minor league mgr. experience. Better to promote Glynn much better to bring on somebody like Manny Acta with MLB managerial experience.

Make Molitor hitting instructor not manager.
    He was the hitting coach for the Mariners in 2006 and that didn't work out all that well.

I don't think a lack of MLB managing experience should rule him out completely. As the article says, he was a bench coach for TK. And other managers have done well without any experience. Look at what Robin Ventura did with the White Sux this year...
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Liked 1,286 Times in 743 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    I believe it was on Dan Barreiro's show that LEN3 said that he thinks the Twins view Molitor as a manager, not a coach, and they don't want Gardy having to look over his shoulder at a possible replacement all season.

This seems more likely given that they didn't bring Gene Glynn up to the major league club either.

I had a problem with Cody's speculation (both being considered 11 years ago) but not bringing up any likely near-term managerial candidate makes some sense

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would say that Robin Ventura did a nice job of showing that having managerial (or coaching) experience shouldn't be a requirement for a big league managerial job.

And, Mike Matheny and the Cardinals are showing that you don't need Tony Larussa (or Albert Pujols) to be pretty good again. A win tonight and they're back in the world series. He had no coaching experience.

I don't think Molitor is necessarily a great choice for Twins manager, but it isn't because he hasn't been a manager before.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post

I don't think Molitor is necessarily a great choice for Twins manager, but it isn't because he hasn't been a manager before.
    Why is that?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    I think Molitor is the manager-in-waiting, and everyone knows it. Gardy should either keep the job or be fired. Don't bring his successor in early.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Actually, I've heard from more than one source that Gene Glynn is more likely to be Ryan's choice to replace Gardenhire than Molitor if/when that decision is necessary. In either case, I agree with Dave, there's no reason to add either guy to the staff yet since both are likely to be available if the need arises anyway.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I updated the story to include the hirings announced by the Twins today.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Personally, I'd rather see Dan Gladden be the 2014 mgr. than Molitor. Nothing against Molitor. It's just that I think Gladden could provide the intensity to shake off all the doldroms of the past decade plus.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Now we know the reason for both the Paul Molitor and the Glen Glynn snubs:
    they never coached high school ball at Wayzeta
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
    The Twins should look outside the organization for the next manager. My vote, Ryne Sandburg.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zenser View Post
    The Twins should look outside the organization for the next manager. My vote, Ryne Sandburg.
    Yeah, I've been hoping for him for awhile now...

Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zenser View Post
    Yeah, I've been hoping for him for awhile now...
    Rhino would be a great choice...surprised he hasnt been given the opportunity to manage somewhere yet.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DAM DC Twins Fans View Post
    Rhino would be a great choice...surprised he hasnt been given the opportunity to manage somewhere yet.
    He's now the 3B coach for the Phillies...

He was the Pacific Coast League Manager of the Year in 2010 and the Minor League Manager of the Year in 2011

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure why everyone is so wound up about Molitor not being brought on board. Is he so clearly the right choice that it's considered a 'snub' to not hire him?

I don't think he's entitled to a job simply because he had a great playing career and is a popular local figure who wants it.

Maybe he'd make a great coach or manager, but I don't think we've seen enough to assume that. I would have been fine had they hired him, but I'm not ready to start ripping them for the fact that they didn't.

What I would rip them for is this: if it's true they've decided that Molitor (or Glynn) is the guy to replace Gardy, then just make the flippin' move. I don't see what good is served by putting Gardy in lame duck mode for a year.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by one_eyed_jack View Post
    What I would rip them for is this: if it's true they've decided that Molitor (or Glynn) is the guy to replace Gardy, then just make the flippin' move. I don't see what good is served by putting Gardy in lame duck mode for a year.
    The twins can be cheap and maybe they don't want to eat whatever remains of his salary. It might look better for them if they simply don't rehire him rather than fire him. There was already enough change to send a message. Also, since Gardy has been around for a while, maybe they legitly want to give him a chance to prove he belongs in his job.