Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Jeff Manship

Jeff Manship

I have always thought that Jeff Manship has great potential. He made some excellent starts back in late 2009. But then something happened. The Twins decided he was going to be their new Matt Guerrier. For some reason Jeff never took to being a reliever. Might have something to do with not being able to warm up properly, or maybe it's mental that he wants to know when he pitches, or maybe he needs to pitch 5 plus innings every 5 days to stay proficient. Whatever it is, Jeff seems to have very good numbers as a starter, not so much as a reliever.

I'd be interested to see what his AAA numbers were in 2012 as a reliever versus as a starter. I'd also like to see his numbers as a starter versus a reliever with the Twins even though he hasn't made very many starts in the Bigs. However, I'm betting that his starter numbers are very good, especially in AAA. I was really looking forward to him making some starts in September this year, but he did not get the call-up. I think the Twins have really missed an opportunity to develop Jeff as a very good starting pitcher at the major league level. However, his relief numbers are so bad they most likely have lost faith in him. But truthfully, he has NEVER gotten a fighting chance to prove himself as a starter at the big league level and I think that is a crying shame.

Liked 3,167 Times in 1,356 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glennhl View Post
    I'd be interested to see what his AAA numbers were in 2012 as a reliever versus as a starter. I'd also like to see his numbers as a starter versus a reliever with the Twins even though he hasn't made very many starts in the Bigs.
    Here's a thought...why don't you look them up?

Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I'd be interested to see what his AAA numbers were in 2012 as a reliever versus as a starter. I'd also like to see his numbers as a starter versus a reliever with the Twins even though he hasn't made very many starts in the Bigs.
    I looked on the Rochester website and they don't break out starter versus reliever stats. Do you know of a site that does?

P.S. I noticed your location, I graduated from U of A in 1975. Great school! And Tucson is 100 times better than Phoenix (where I live).

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 386 Times in 201 Posts
    I looked on the Rochester website and they don't break out starter versus reliever stats. Do you know of a site that does?

P.S. I noticed your location, I graduated from U of A in 1975. Great school! And Tucson is 100 times better than Phoenix (where I live).
    Don't mind USAChief, he is just goting through menopause these days

As far Manship not getting a chance to start for the Twins, I would have to think if the Twins even thought he had a slight chance to stick as a major league starter they would have given him a shot...i mean look at some of the guys we ran out on the mound this year

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    As far Manship not getting a chance to start for the Twins, I would have to think if the Twins even thought he had a slight chance to stick as a major league starter they would have given him a shot...i mean look at some of the guys we ran out on the mound this year
    That. Manship was with the big league team several times. He got a chance to prove himself and he never did. Compare that with Slama, for example and compare their numbers in the minors and figure out why Manship even got all those chances over Slama...

Complaining that Manship did not get a chance as a starter is like complaining that Matt Tolbert did not get a chance as a first baseman (similar performance level btw; and actually Tolbert was more productive than Manship in the majors)
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    That. Manship was with the big league team several times. He got a chance to prove himself and he never did. Compare that with Slama, for example and compare their numbers in the minors and figure out why Manship even got all those chances over Slama...

Complaining that Manship did not get a chance as a starter is like complaining that Matt Tolbert did not get a chance as a first baseman (similar performance level btw; and actually Tolbert was more productive than Manship in the majors)
    I think it comes down to that starters and relievers are different animals. Some pitchers can do both, some can't. Just would like to have seen more of Manship as a starter. I'm betting some other team figures this out and he ends up starting somewhere. Of course, I could be wrong!

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post

I think it comes down to that starters and relievers are different animals. Some pitchers can do both, some can't. Just would like to have seen more of Manship as a starter. I'm betting some other team figures this out and he ends up starting somewhere. Of course, I could be wrong!
    You can make that argument about Slowey, Swarzak, Duensing, Robertson, Burnett, RA Dickey and a lot of others who have been starters and the Twins turned into relievers with mixed results
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...pbp&pid=453249

Yeah, I much prefer Tucson to Phoenix.

Dave, it's USAFChief, not USA. Yew Ess Aee Eff.

Please do not put me in the Army.

I'm betting some other team figures this out and he ends up starting somewhere. Of course, I could be wrong!
    I'd bet against this

Dave, it's USAFChief, not USA. Yew Ess Aee Eff.

Please do not put me in the Army.
    My bad. Not sure why I forgot the F

Manship is thru with this organization as he's out of options.....dont know if he'll even survive making the initial 2013 40 man roster

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,285 Times in 688 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    Manship is thru with this organization as he's out of options.....dont know if he'll even survive making the initial 2013 40 man roster
    Can only hope that's the case.......next.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...pbp&pid=453249

Yeah, I much prefer Tucson to Phoenix.
    Thank you very much for that website. So Manship's ERA's in AAA this year were 2.45 as a starter and 3.91 as a reliever. I think the 2.45 as a starter shows that he deserved at least a couple of starts in the Bigs, but instead he got zero.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Thank you very much for that website. So Manship's ERA's in AAA this year were 2.45 as a starter and 3.91 as a reliever. I think the 2.45 as a starter shows that he deserved at least a couple of starts in the Bigs, but instead he got zero.
    He has actually gotten six, not zero, but let's not let facts stand in the way of this plee for Manship.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...anshje01.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by edavis0308 View Post
    He has actually gotten six, not zero, but let's not let facts stand in the way of this plee for Manship.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...anshje01.shtml
    You are correct. I should have qualified my statement, I meant starts this year. He hasn't had a start since 2010.