Thread: Mason: Q&A with Jim Rantz

Liked 204 Times in 108 Posts
    Blog Entries

Mason: Q&A with Jim Rantz

FSNorth's Tyler Mason posted a very nice Q&A with outgoing Twins Farm Director Jim Rantz:

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/10/22/...75&feedID=5930

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Q: Speaking of change, how has the Twins organization changed since you came aboard?
    A:
    "Our philosophies have always been pretty consistent. We try to promote within, not only the administrative part but obviously we believe in our farm system. Our philosophies haven't changed. We try to develop our own people. The changes that happen sometimes dictate. If you have a vacancy, you might have to get out there and play that free agent game. But other than that, we like to keep our own people. I don't think our philosophy has changed that much over the years. We really try to develop our own people."

Hmmm.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Q: Speaking of change, how has the Twins organization changed since you came aboard?
    A:
    "Our philosophies have always been pretty consistent. We try to promote within, not only the administrative part but obviously we believe in our farm system. Our philosophies haven't changed. We try to develop our own people. The changes that happen sometimes dictate. If you have a vacancy, you might have to get out there and play that free agent game. But other than that, we like to keep our own people. I don't think our philosophy has changed that much over the years. We really try to develop our own people."

Hmmm.
    if you always do, what you have always done .you always get , what you have always gotten....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post

Hmmm.
    if you always do, what you have always done .you always get , what you have always gotten....
    Ryan built teams that won 6 division titles. Is there anything wrong with that?

Liked 363 Times in 205 Posts
    Thanks for the link.

I, too, found that quote a little disturbing. Consistency is good. Stagnancy isn't.

Obviously they've had to make adjustments and changes over the years just to keep functioning. But did they do it enough or would it have been better to bleed in a few more new perspectives" (philosophy, talent & ideas) over the years?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I still fail to see how trying to promote from within as a general rule is a different philosophy than most successful businesses/organizations.

Obviously you need qualified people to take the spots when they are promoted.
    Papers...business papers.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    I still fail to see how trying to promote from within as a general rule is a different philosophy than most successful businesses/organizations.

If you need a change in philosophies, that's rarely gonna happen if people are being rained the same way...as often happens in organizations

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post

If you need a change in philosophies, that's rarely gonna happen if people are being rained the same way...as often happens in organizations
    Maybe. But there was a decade of success followed by two terrible seasons. I still think there is reason to believe that the last two years are the aberration vs. the previous decade and that the Twins philosophy is ultimately a successful one, especially with Terry Ryan the one calling the shots as opposed to Bill Smith.
    Papers...business papers.