Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Trade Mauer & Morneau?

Trade Mauer & Morneau?

I am a Twins fan but live down here in Texas Rangers land - and they are listing their primary needs for the offseason as 1B & Catcher. Which started me thinking about the hypothetical would the Twins consider packaging Mauer & Morneau to the Rangers. The Rangers are shooting for the World Series and would love to add 2 veteran left-handed hitters. They have Josh Hamilton likely coming off the books so they have some salary $ availability. Question from the Twins perspective would be first - would we be willing to trade 2 of our stars (not very likely) and if so what would we ask in return. For starters, we would want either Mike Olt (3B) or Elvis Andrus (SS) and Major League ready starting pitching - that could be Derek Holland, Alexi Ogando, Matt Harrison, or Alexi Ogando. Most of those options are fairly low salary - so that free up the Twins to be able to sign a higher tier Free agent pitcher or maybe we take back a higher salary player like Ian Kinsler. For the Twins, Parmelee could then fit into playing first but we would need to find a catcher to pair with Doumit.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Mauer isn't going anywhere...Morneau very well could

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 357 Times in 179 Posts
    Ogando isn't a major league starter.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 157 Times in 78 Posts
    Morneau straight up for Harrison would be a steal for the Twins.

Morneau for Holland might actually be a pretty even deal at this point, though Holland is still young
    Last edited by Kirby_Waved_At_Me; 10-24-2012 at 02:27 PM.

Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thepuck View Post
    mauer isn't going anywhere...morneau very well could

agree!!!

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 311 Times in 151 Posts
    There may be a time when Mauer would agree to be traded. Not sure how long the losing will take for that to happen but it likely will. He already spends his winters in Florida so leaving home to play for a winner, sure could happen at some point.

Don't forget we have Butera to dangle out there. Maybe a Butera for Andrus trade would be ok, Gardy may not like it but who cares.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Rangers aren't going to dismantle their team for two players with injury history, I believe thats why they are hedging on Hamilton. But if they'll do Butera for Andrus, by all means jump on it!

Mauer is set. However, a Span/Morneau deal to TEX isnt a crazy thought.
    I think their best 'potential' pitcher is Derrick Holland and I would jump a shot to get him.

I also reside in Ranger land. Twins will never let Mauer go, but the Rangers will need outfield help so I am thinking Span/Morneau for Jurickson Profar and that solves the middle infield problem for a long time.