Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Contemplating Bringing Scott Baker Back

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jm3319 View Post
    Clearly you don't understand the nature of this option.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 65 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Now that the Twins have navigated through the winter and made additions to their rotation we can look back at the decision on Scott Baker.

While other pitchers like Joe Saunders chose other teams in spite of the Twins interest, Baker was the one pitcher the Twins could have guaranteed signing. They simply needed to pick up his option at 9.25 million. If he is healthy this year, he will achieve the performance bonus and earn 7+ million with the Cubs. The Twins would have overpayed by 2 million, but it is clear now that they were going to have to overpay someone. Had they offered the 9 million to Saunders, he may have taken it. He could have been a Twin for a year. I would rather have had Baker. It seems like there was a better chance that Baker would be open to an extension and Saunders a one year rental.

I think Baker will be healthy and pitching well by the end of May. I would be much more confident in their rotation this year if Baker were in camp.

Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    Now that the Twins have navigated through the winter and made additions to their rotation we can look back at the decision on Scott Baker.

While other pitchers like Joe Saunders chose other teams in spite of the Twins interest, Baker was the one pitcher the Twins could have guaranteed signing. They simply needed to pick up his option at 9.25 million. If he is healthy this year, he will achieve the performance bonus and earn 7+ million with the Cubs. The Twins would have overpayed by 2 million, but it is clear now that they were going to have to overpay someone. Had they offered the 9 million to Saunders, he may have taken it. He could have been a Twin for a year. I would rather have had Baker. It seems like there was a better chance that Baker would be open to an extension and Saunders a one year rental.

I think Baker will be healthy and pitching well by the end of May. I would be much more confident in their rotation this year if Baker were in camp.
    It will be interesting to see how well he does this year. I share your feeling that it would have been good to keep him, but only time will tell whether he is able to perform post-surgery.

I would have liked to see Scotty succeed here. I just never really saw it happening.

Liked 109 Times in 59 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would stand by the decision not to pick up that option. No way they can guarantee that kind of money coming off of TJ.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 51 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    I would stand by the decision not to pick up that option. No way they can guarantee that kind of money coming off of TJ.
    This. Besides, it's hard for me to get behind the idea that "now that the free agent market has shaken out, we can assess..." That's like saying "now that I know I have a losing lottery ticket, I can assess whether I should have played the lottery." No; you do the best with what information you have beforehand. I think a lot of us, myself included, were pretty darn surprised at the money Baker got from the Cubs. People around here were talking about resigning him for $1 or $2 million.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    This. Besides, it's hard for me to get behind the idea that "now that the free agent market has shaken out, we can assess..." That's like saying "now that I know I have a losing lottery ticket, I can assess whether I should have played the lottery." No; you do the best with what information you have beforehand. I think a lot of us, myself included, were pretty darn surprised at the money Baker got from the Cubs. People around here were talking about resigning him for $1 or $2 million.
    My comments on the Twins decision on Baker are absolutely consistent with a comment I wrote in this thread on 10/24. I said at that time that he was the one pitcher the Twins could guarantee on the roster. While others counted on the Twins opening their pocket books for the numerous free agents dreaming of the chance to play in Minnesota, a few had a more realistic outlook. Baker has more upside than any other free agent they signed.

and John... Instead of giving the money to Baker, haven't they simply put it in their pocket? The 9 million didn't go anywhere else.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    I didn't get any of that $9MM.

Liked 109 Times in 59 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    and John... Instead of giving the money to Baker, haven't they simply put it in their pocket? The 9 million didn't go anywhere else.
    Well, sure, but there isn't a pitcher or player you can't say that about.

Even now, I would call it borderline crazy to promise Baker 9.25M. I understand you have lots of confidence in Baker. I don't.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'll just weigh in as another that does not see $9.25 million as a good idea for Baker this year.
    I wish him all the best and expect he'll do OK, but that is too much to guarentee to a guy with his injury history.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Well, sure, but there isn't a pitcher or player you can't say that about.

Even now, I would call it borderline crazy to promise Baker 9.25M. I understand you have lots of confidence in Baker. I don't.
    The difference is that every other player can choose whether or not to play with the Twins. So maybe you can look at the list of guys that signed in the 5-7 million and say if the Twins bump it up 2 million they surely would sign with the Twins. Had they done that and offered Saunders 9 or 10 or Myers 9 then I have a lot less to support the argument. On the other hand, I have no less confidence in Baker than any of the other guys that signed in his range. He is an injury risk with an upside of solid starter. Are any of the other guys more than a borderline league average starter?

I think the market has changed. I think Parker foreshadowed it in his article about the cost of relief pitching. I don't think the Twins anticipated the change. If they had, they may have preferred a Baker over the other guys.

Now they have 9 million in their pocket. I would rather have Baker. I said in October and I say it now. If at the all star break he isn't pitching, I will come back and give the Twins credit for their good decision.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
    It's crazy to criticize the Twins for not picking up the option. Could they have tried harder to sign him after declining? Perhaps. But at the time it seemed reasonable not to jump the gun given the other options available. There are plenty of things to criticize about the pitching decisions this winter, but Baker is not at the top of the list.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12