Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cubs claim former 1st rounder Gutierrez off waivers

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    I get a kick out of them still trying to get something out of the Johan trade. Day-oh-leese lost all his velocity moons ago, and they're still hoping something good happens.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm guessing this means his shoulder injury is pretty bad? I don't really care much, just surprises me with the amount of pitching they keep around that they couldn't keep him around. If healthy he is something (hard throwing) that the Twins don't have.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I hope this isn't a move that comes back to bite us. I mean it probably won't but Gutierrez has some pretty good stuff from what I've heard and he just hasn't been able to put it all together. Injuries haven't helped either.

I think they took the chance that no one would claim him. Te Cubs have to 40-man him, and then run him thru if they want the roster spot. He's out thru half of next season, I think.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 123 Times in 89 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gutierrez would be better in the bullpen than Anthony Swarzak, I guarantee you. It would have been better to keep Gutierrez, pitch him, and trade him than this. The only thing that Swarzak would bring in a trade is Bigfoot.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My assumption is that they thought that they could sneak him through waivers and be able to send him back to Rochester. Maybe the thought was that since he was coming off of shoulder surgery, teams would pass on him thinking maybe the Twins know it's something more.

I don't mind the pick, and I think having him start was the right thing. Right now, he's 25 years old with one pitch. Yes, it's a 95 mph fastball, but that's it. He could be a back of the bullpen guy with that, maybe, if he had better control. The goal of having him start was to develop a 2nd or 3rd pitch. If he could have developed a 2nd pitch over the course of four minor league seasons, then suddenly he could be a very solid late-inning reliever. If he could have developed a 3rd pitch, he could have been a solid big league starter.

It didn't work out because he was unable to come up with a 2nd pitch.

From the Cubs perspective, they're claiming all kinds of players with some upside. Gutierrez can throw hard and despite already being older, he does still have two options left. They can be patient with him.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    My assumption is that they thought that they could sneak him through waivers and be able to send him back to Rochester. Maybe the thought was that since he was coming off of shoulder surgery, teams would pass on him thinking maybe the Twins know it's something more.

I don't mind the pick, and I think having him start was the right thing. Right now, he's 25 years old with one pitch. Yes, it's a 95 mph fastball, but that's it. He could be a back of the bullpen guy with that, maybe, if he had better control. The goal of having him start was to develop a 2nd or 3rd pitch. If he could have developed a 2nd pitch over the course of four minor league seasons, then suddenly he could be a very solid late-inning reliever. If he could have developed a 3rd pitch, he could have been a solid big league starter.

It didn't work out because he was unable to come up with a 2nd pitch.

From the Cubs perspective, they're claiming all kinds of players with some upside. Gutierrez can throw hard and despite already being older, he does still have two options left. They can be patient with him.
    This is what the Twins should have been doing much more of in their advantageous last-place position the last two seasons and the off-season. Missed out on a lot of upside prospects- and multiple flippable guys to use to acquire even more upside prospects, for which obviously the Twins have a desperate need to raise the volume dearth currently coming through the system.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is what the Twins should have been doing much more of in their advantageous last-place position the last two seasons and the off-season. Missed out on a lot of upside prospects- and multiple flippable guys to use to acquire even more upside prospects, for which obviously the Twins have a desperate need to raise the volume dearth currently coming through the system.[/QUOTE]

Please remimd me which upside prospects the Twins missed out on?

Looks like another first round pick that won't work out for the Twins.

Quote Originally Posted by ALessKosherScott View Post
    Looks like another first round pick that won't work out for the Twins.
    I have mixed feelings about what you've done here. It's definitely funny, but if this joke becomes a bummer then I'm going to go all frown-facey and change my name to Celebrity Divorces!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12