Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40-man roster cuts announced

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries

40-man roster cuts announced

Twins outright Manship, Perdomo, Vasquez, Waldrop, Walters and Carson. Capps option not picked up. Carlos Gutierrez claimed off waivers by Cubs.

Looks like TR waited until he saw Seth's write-up in the Off Season Handbook on 40-man roster decisions before making their cuts!
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Blog Entries
    yes... that would be 40 man (not 49 man) roster cuts. REALLY wish there was a way to edit the headings! (Or I could just be more careful about my typing, but we know that won't happen.)
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    Pavano and Baker are activated from 60-day DL, so at this moment, there are 6 open spots on the 40-man.

Waiving Carson again gets the question asked.....WHY was he recalled from ROC in Sept instead of Arcia/Hicks??
    Complete wasted Sept with the recalls

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    Waiving Carson again gets the question asked.....WHY was he recalled from ROC in Sept instead of Arcia/Hicks??
    So the major league clock wouldn't start on their careers

Liked 109 Times in 59 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the answer is "because they didn't think they would be able to give them playing time." That didn't turn out to be true, because Parmelee suffered that groin injury and then had to leave the team for a little while.

It might have been fun to call up Arcia and Hicks, but I'd have trouble calling it a waste. Unless one of them walked on water and waived his hand to bring back the trees, it wasn't going to change the offseason plans. Neither was going to be slated to be a starting OFer next year. In fact, from the interview with Terry Ryan, it sounds a little like Arcia isn't a lock to start the season in Rochester.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Mind boggling on Arcia not in Rochester next year. There would be an exhibit for slowly moving prospects....

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    with the rumors or ham and span heading on down the road , i question releasing carson.
    if both are traded our outfield will consist of revere mastroanni and parmelee,which if we go into a full blown rebuilding stage im fine with,
    but carson would make a decent 4th outfielder with some pop and a decent avg

Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    I think the answer is "because they didn't think they would be able to give them playing time." That didn't turn out to be true, because Parmelee suffered that groin injury and then had to leave the team for a little while.

It might have been fun to call up Arcia and Hicks, but I'd have trouble calling it a waste. Unless one of them walked on water and waived his hand to bring back the trees, it wasn't going to change the offseason plans. Neither was going to be slated to be a starting OFer next year. In fact, from the interview with Terry Ryan, it sounds a little like Arcia isn't a lock to start the season in Rochester.
    My take on it IS....not the players 'clock' per se as 30 days in Sept wouldnt change anything good or bad. Still need 2yrs 139days for arbitration 'Super 2' & 6 yrs for FAgency.
    They didnt want the duo to come up & have a Parmelee type Sept & screw up their plans for this year (keeping em in AAA for first few months). MN screwed up w/Chris by not starting him in AAA (more Morneau's fault really) & Ryan wants to go at his slow tortoise like pace.

Now standing at 34 players....I do find it interesting that Deolis Guerra made the first cuts. Guerra has no shot no make the club out of STraining, so why waste time/roster spot on him.

I wonder sometimes if they don't audition some of these guys in September with high hopes for increasing their stock as trade bait.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    Twins outright Manship, Perdomo, Vasquez, Waldrop, Walters and Carson. Capps option not picked up. Carlos Gutierrez claimed off waivers by Cubs.

Looks like TR waited until he saw Seth's write-up in the Off Season Handbook on 40-man roster decisions before making their cuts!
    Any word on Slama yet?

Blog Entries
    I don't think Slama's on the 40-man roster, is he? If not, there's no point in adding him at least until the end of November.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    I don't think Slama's on the 40-man roster, is he? If not, there's no point in adding him at least until the end of November.
    No, he wasn't...I was wondering if he was added though after the cuts were made.

Will they sign any of these 6 released players back to a AAA deal???
    Dont think so....Waldrop maybe, but there are just too many soft throwers as is, tho I LOVE his groundball rate. He is better off goin to a better defensive organization.

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't expect him to be, yet anyway. Ryan wants as much roster flexibility as he can get for the next month, leading up to the end of November when he has to decide who gets protected and who doesn't. There's some question of whether Slama would be lost to another organization if he's not added. Of course, given the luke warm feelings of the FO toward him, you have to wonder if they'd really care if they did lose him.

Once Pavano hits FA/Casilla is nontendered, there will be 32 on the roster. Other than Guerra, the rest should be relatively safe.
    Who are the 3/4 to be put on the roster??
    Gibson/Hicks are locks. Michael Tonkin looks pretty safe also, esp with a good AFL. I think they will roll the dice on BJ Hermsen & leave him unprotected. Josmil Pinto has already agreed to minor league deal.
    Anyone else??
    Last edited by greengoblinrulz; 10-24-2012 at 04:03 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I think multiple organizations would be interested in him if he wasn't protected...his stats are too hard to ignore.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
    I'll miss them all! When do Pavano and Baker fall off after the WS?
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    I'll miss them all! When do Pavano and Baker fall off after the WS?
    5 days after the World Series....offers to arbitration players (Casilla etc), Im still not positive on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast