Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: The Tumultuous Twins Tenure Of Matt Capps

Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: The Tumultuous Twins Tenure Of Matt Capps

Not a hater of Capps personally.....therefore I am happy to see him go as I wanted the draft pick last summer badly.
    However, I also am not a big believer of Wilson Ramose so I dont hate the deal.
    I though it was a bad trade at the time....very contradictory I know...but it was MN goin for it for the first time & I was cool with that aspect of it. Matt was an all star that summer, so he was legit & Ramos struggled in ROC that whole yr, but it was too high of a prospect to give up.
    My explanation seems confusing but Ive never been a hater of Capps. There is something to getting rid of Billy Smith's era & getting a fresh start tho.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 197 Times in 97 Posts
    It was an up-and-down ride for Capps during his stint in Minnesota but it seemed like plenty of more ups than downs. He came to the Twins in the middle of one of the team's best regular seasons on record and he stayed with the organization through two of their worst seasons ever. Throughout his career with the Twins, he has cost the team one of their top prospects, $13 million in salary, and a compensation round draft pick. This is a stiff price to pay for a man that accumulated mediocre statistics during his time on the mound.
    I'm going to assume this is a mistake.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
    Honestly, this is all on management....can't fault the guy for taking a salary the Twins stupidly paid.

Of course, in hindsight, Ramos was the catcher for the future. He could've been a partial in 2011, regular at AAA in 2012, another partial season in 2013, and Mauer halftime replacement in 2014, with the Twins keeping him under control thru all of Mauer's years. Is there anyone in the system that will be better. Doubtful. You hate to see Ramos leaving if Mauer is only catching halftime from here-on out. Signing Capps for 2012 and not getting a draft pick was a big mistake. You don't need a closer if you aren't contending. You try and find or build a closer. Too bad he wasn't a trade chip when the Twins needed it most. In that way, Capps and Pavano both let the Twins down.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 75 Posts
    Most in the Twins organization believe a the team must have a defined closer, 8th inning guy, 7th inning guy, LOOGY, long guy, then they think about flexibility. This set-up is fine for teams with lots of money and believes it is in serious contention for the Series. But it is wasteful for those not in that position. Bullpen by committee has worked before and can work again.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 26 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Capps isn't a bad pitcher, he just cost the Twins too much. I actually respect that he tried his best pitching through injuries, and trying desperately to get back from one. I wouldn't even mind if they brought him back, since they won't lose a draft choice this time, but it would have to be for far less money and not as the "closer." Another fairly reliable guy in the bullpen would be nice. I suspect they can get someone else to do about the same job he would, though, so I would assume the general bad will towards him from most fans means he's pitched his last game for the Twins.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't mind if they signed him to be honest. I don't really dislike him, but missing out on the draft pick and overpaying was a big mistake. It was even more apparent when he sat out for the majority of the season.

Senior Member Double-A SgtSchmidt11's Avatar
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ericchri View Post
    Capps isn't a bad pitcher, he just cost the Twins too much. I actually respect that he tried his best pitching through injuries, and trying desperately to get back from one. I wouldn't even mind if they brought him back, since they won't lose a draft choice this time, but it would have to be for far less money and not as the "closer." Another fairly reliable guy in the bullpen would be nice. I suspect they can get someone else to do about the same job he would, though, so I would assume the general bad will towards him from most fans means he's pitched his last game for the Twins.
    I would not be mad if they brought him back for 1.5-2M. He wasn't so bad this year before his injury.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    It is not hindsight....you do not trade from a position of scarcity for relief pitchers.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 51 Times in 26 Posts
    Ramos for Capps was the worst trade of Bill Smith's tenure - which is saying something. Horrible deal and everyone knew it at the time - top prospect for a guy that wasn't much better than what we had, who would also be eligible for arb. the next year.

However, none of that was Matt Capps' fault. He seems like a standup guy who just doesn't have enough stuff to be a dominant pitcher. That doesn't mean he can't contribute to a solid bullpen, it just has to be at the right price and not as a closer.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 51 Times in 26 Posts

Ooops...what am I saying

Quote Originally Posted by Linus View Post
    Ramos for Capps was the worst trade of Bill Smith's tenure - which is saying something. Horrible deal and everyone knew it at the time - top prospect for a guy that wasn't much better than what we had, who would also be eligible for arb. the next year.

However, none of that was Matt Capps' fault. He seems like a standup guy who just doesn't have enough stuff to be a dominant pitcher. That doesn't mean he can't contribute to a solid bullpen, it just has to be at the right price and not as a closer.

I changed my mind. Garza and Barlett for Delmon was worse.

Wait, I changed my mind again. Johan for nothing was worse..........

I guess we shouldn't be shocked that we ended up losing 90+ games two years in a row.

Liked 1,674 Times in 836 Posts
    Blog Entries

I guess we shouldn't be shocked that we ended up losing 90+ games two years in a row.
    Hardy for Jimmy Hoho.

Before that trade, Smith just had the appearance of garden variety incompetence. But after it, I started to suspect outright, deliberate sabotage. Which proved correct in light of the man Smith chose to replace Hardy at short. That was the one that finally blew his cover.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is really a 3-head beast:

- someone(s) wanted a "proven closer"
    - someone(s) thought that Butera was ok as a Ramos alternative
    - someone(s) valued Capps' performance in 2011 to bring him back in 2012 for at least twice street value of what is worth and forfeit a pick...

so... blame them.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts

always remember and never forget ryan was incharge, but bill had the title of g-m- ryan made all the decisions
    ryan has been calling the shots since 1994...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 58 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    While I thought the Twins sold low on Ramos, I didn't think Capps was all that bad and I would be happy if he signed a 1 - 2 year deal to be a middle reliever in the 2-3 million range per season.

And losing Ramos stings even less with the success and minimum investment we have in Doumit.
    Last edited by Brandon; 10-28-2012 at 07:28 PM. Reason: forgot a statement