Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Twins re-signed Baker

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 66 Posts
    Peter Gammons is reporting that the Red Sux are in on every free agent so Baker could sign with the Red Sux. Rumor mania has started!
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    If he gets three years, the only issue I see is that the Twins would probably have to overpay him this year in exchange for having him the following two seasons when his value will likely be higher. For the first time in two decades, there are legit #2-3 arms affordable to the Twins on the free agent market, I'd hate to see the Twins think the free agents are $2-4 million more than their budget allows while Baker is getting overpaid by that same amount next year.
    This is what I thought at first. I thought, well three years is good because he will be grossly underpaid if he performs like he has in the past. But then, I starting thinking about it more. Coming of injury you never know what you are going to get. It is a gamble. If he doesn't come back the same and/or gets hurt again, then the Twins have made a bad gamble and that is dead money on the books...(Blackburn).

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 170 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It is a risk but would you rather have 3 years committed to Marcum who is coming off 124 innings and shoulder soreness? What about Haren or Dempster who are coming off significant velocity decline, or jeremy Guthrie who has the ceiling of a 2009 Nick Blackburn and the floor of 2011 Nick Blackburn? I'll gamble on the strikeout pitcher fresh off of TJ every time.

Joe C. is reporting the Twins declined Baker's option... http://www.startribune.com/sports/tw...176302831.html

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 108 Times in 48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    It is a risk but would you rather have 3 years committed to Marcum who is coming off 124 innings and shoulder soreness? What about Haren or Dempster who are coming off significant velocity decline, or jeremy Guthrie who has the ceiling of a 2009 Nick Blackburn and the floor of 2011 Nick Blackburn? I'll gamble on the strikeout pitcher fresh off of TJ every time.
    Who says you have to commit 3 years to Baker?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    No one, that is what we are trying to say...Thyroid broke the story, before the story happened, and we are saying debating whether or not this is a good idea committing 3 years to him (which is what Thyroid Gland broke on his twitter account).

Blog Entries
    The market may be saying that. Jr is certainly saying that, in order to fetch free agent starting pitching you have to offer multi-year deals. If you are going to decline the option, that makes Baker a FA.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 108 Times in 48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    No one, that is what we are trying to say...Thyroid broke the story, before the story happened, and we are saying debating whether or not this is a good idea committing 3 years to him (which is what Thyroid Gland broke on his twitter account).
    Yeah, I know - I was comparing this to what Marcum or Guthrie might get.

I think three years is a lot for Baker right now. Not everybody comes back from TJ surgery right away, and not everybody is ever the same. I'd give him a year with an option and tell Scott to test the market if he wants more. Baker wasn't exactly the durable type even before the surgery.

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Last night, Wikipedia had announced (and I mentioned) that the Twins were declining Baker's option. Joe C., you got scooped!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    I'd take three years of Haren at the expense of the injury prone Baker, and if I had to choose between Baker and Marcum, I'd take Marcum too. However, the debate isn't who would we rather have as there should be room for Baker AND a top free agent arm. The issue is there may not be room if Baker agrees to a 3 year deal but the first year is at $6 milion instead of $3 million like it should be.

[QUOTE=Twins Twerp;60323
    No one, that is what we are trying to say...Thyroid broke the story, before the story happened, and we are saying debating whether or not this is a good idea committing 3 years to him (which is what Thyroid Gland broke on his twitter account).[/QUOTE]

Hypo-thyroid does seem to have insider info on breaking hormonal news.

Blog Entries
    Pitching is an injury risk. And when a guy experiences velocity decline, like we saw with Pavano this year, it may indicate injury. What you should be paying a guy for is expected production, and not what he he already done for other teams. Personally, I'd project Baker to put together a better 3 year stretch then either Marcum or Haren based on his prior injury history being elbow related and that having just been addressed.

Liked 105 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Thryloss thinks he has some inside information, I have no problem with him posting it here since he has the guts to put his name on it. We should know soon enough if it's true.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 303 Times in 180 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To his credit, he's scooped some things before... He's been wrong as well. We will see. That said, I'm all for Baker on a 3 year deal if at least one of those years is an option year.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 66 Posts
    Joe Mays! I'm not sure I'd spend a lot until I knew he could pitch again.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Bakert could be done!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Twins declined RHP Scott Baker's $9.25 million option for 2013.

It's no surprise, as Baker missed the entire season recovering from Tommy John surgery. The Minneapolis Star Tribune confirms that the Twins haven't ruled out re-signing Baker on an incentive-laden, one-year deal.

Source: Joe Christensen on Twitter

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post

I'd take three years of Haren at the expense of the injury prone Baker, and if I had to choose between Baker and Marcum, I'd take Marcum too. However, the debate isn't who would we rather have as there should be room for Baker AND a top free agent arm. The issue is there may not be room if Baker agrees to a 3 year deal but the first year is at $6 milion instead of $3 million like it should be.
    3M (money, not the company) isn't going to stand in the way signing a guy like Marcum or Haren.

Liked 660 Times in 426 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Declining the option was certainly expected. Picking up the option would have shocked everyone. Thrylos could still be right here. I'll be checking my Twinsdaily Daily in anticipation!

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Moonshot Scott said it best himself:

"We’re talking, and obviously I think there’s a mutual feeling that I want to be back, and they want me back," Baker said. "But it has to make sense for both parties, and we’re just not there yet.
    LINK

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast