Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Twins re-signed Baker

I thought this was a done deal?

Liked 106 Times in 58 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If people think they have inside information about a pending move, I have no problem with them posting it in the bulletin board, PROVIDED THEY PUT THEIR NAME ON IT. That's part of what a bulletin board is.

Now we know that Thrylos' sources cannot always be trusted (or that Thrylos is apt to jump the gun.) That's valuable information.

I don't see a reason to pile on about this much beyond that. The last thing I think any of us want is for people to not share information which they have some confidence in because of some holy retribution.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Bonnes, you may want to close the comments if you are looking to protect Thrylos on this one.

Thrylos said it was done. Period. No comments about "close to signing" or other caveats with an out clause. Any piling on needs to be done because how it was reported, not that it was reported.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Dan Gladden View Post
    Bonnes, you may want to close the comments if you are looking to protect Thrylos on this one.

Thrylos said it was done. Period. No comments about "close to signing" or other caveats with an out clause. Any piling on needs to be done because how it was reported, not that it was reported.
    Who cares...people make mistakes. He thought it was a done deal and he posted. He was wrong. Oh well. I, for one, am glad he was.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post

Who cares...people make mistakes. He thought it was a done deal and he posted. He was wrong. Oh well.
    Has he ever been right?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post

Who cares...people make mistakes. He thought it was a done deal and he posted. He was wrong. Oh well.
    Has he ever been right?
    No idea, but I doubt there's a person on here who hasn't put info out there that ended up wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    If people think they have inside information about a pending move, I have no problem with them posting it in the bulletin board, PROVIDED THEY PUT THEIR NAME ON IT. That's part of what a bulletin board is.

Now we know that Thrylos' sources cannot always be trusted (or that Thrylos is apt to jump the gun.) That's valuable information.

I don't see a reason to pile on about this much beyond that. The last thing I think any of us want is for people to not share information which they have some confidence in because of some holy retribution.
    I agree, I don't see the benefit of piling on when someone turns out to be wrong.

Jeff

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 179 Times in 102 Posts
    Occam's Razor: Thrylos doesn't have a "source" and was talking out of his ass.

Honest question: Does he contribute anything to this forum? All of his posts seem to be one of two things:
    1.Making up things to bash the front office/Gardy/etc
    2.Making up things to claim he is some sort of important beat writer/rumor monger for the Twins.

Seriously, pathological lying on the internet is nothing new, I just would expect a site like this to be above it.

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 587 Times in 317 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post

I agree, I don't see the benefit of piling on when someone turns out to be wrong.

Jeff
    Except if it's Thrylos, that's the benefit.

Well, I'll defend thrylos since he's not around to do it himself, and since I think that this piling on is a little ridiculous.

Yes, many of his comments involve his dislike of Gardy and Andy, and he clearly has some animus toward the front office. Yes, he probably comments too much on that. To me, that's not much different than some posters here that tie every Twins move (or non-move) back to things like the Mauer contract, or the Pohlads' perceived thriftiness, or the perceived "pitch-to-contact" mantra that no longer works, or the JJ Hardy trade that we got nothing in return for, or the "promote-from-within culture" that arguably hasn't gotten this team very far into the playoffs. I personally am guilty of doing this, too. I think we're all entitled to our sticking points, with the caveat that others probably tire of reading them. Thrylos probably does it more than some others do. And just like anything else on the internet, I guess we're all free to read, or not read, what he writes, and we're all free to comment, or not comment, on what he writes.

I actually enjoy reading thrylos' blog during the season. He has a good knowledge base about prospect stuff. And I will maintain that he does add positive things to this site.

So he was really, really wrong on this. Big deal. And I suppose he deserved a little heat for declaring this a done deal when it clearly wasn't, and for being so wrong on it in the end. But maybe we can move on now to other baseball stuff. Rather than discussing thrylos, I think I'll return to the forum discussing Baker and read some comments from other people on how the heck we're going to add 4 pitchers to create a legitimate rotation.
    Andrew Walter
    Twins Fan From Afar
    Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
    http://twinsfanfromafar.blogspot.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

I too enjoy Thyloss' insight and perspective and am glad he contributes to Twins Daily. But I will definately wait on investing in a "Baker jersey" the next time he proclaims a done-deal signing.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That's the risk you take when you post something like this. He doesn't necessarily have to read the posts ripping him either, but he certainly has lost our trust if there was any to begin with. Personally, I think he has a great grip on new world statistics and prospects in the system.

Member Single-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    The Twins have signed Zack Grienke to a 3 year deal.....DONE DEAL....shhhhhh, its a secret.

Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
    I have a source that says faceless people on internet forums are petty and juvenile.

Scott Zilka

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
    This is why the internet has ruined journalism. Yes without the internet we would not have this site, but come on. A "done deal," period." That is so laughable. I wish I had a picture with Thyroid wetting the bed while also screwing the pooch. This mess up is so bad that one cliche was not good enough. The best part is that we all called him out the day he said this...and he cited himself as the source. GENIOUS. This guy must do stand up.

In an unrelated matter, my sources, whom I cannot name due to the deal not being made public, that Thyloss is full it. It being poop. Lets not defend the guy and please, I know it is site policy not to personally attack a guy, but we NEED to make an exception for his one. In fact we need to put on the site rules:

12. If someone posts something so idiotic and looks like a jackass, then thou must callith him out to the highest degree...amen.

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 587 Times in 317 Posts
    Time out!!

Mindless bickering.

Quote Originally Posted by YourHouseIsMyHouse View Post
    ... he certainly has lost our trust if there was any to begin with.
    To quote George W. (and The Who) "Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice...we won't be fooled again."

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Occam's Razor: Thrylos doesn't have a "source" and was talking out of his ass.

Honest question: Does he contribute anything to this forum? All of his posts seem to be one of two things:
    1.Making up things to bash the front office/Gardy/etc
    2.Making up things to claim he is some sort of important beat writer/rumor monger for the Twins.

Seriously, pathological lying on the internet is nothing new, I just would expect a site like this to be above it.
    You forgot a third and favorite attention grubbing topic: the rampant racism in the Twins organization. (The Delmon Young 'property' thread most recently).

Sorry, I can't take Thrylos seriously because it's so hard to see truth having to look over a glacier-sized rock of salt.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
    Hey, don't scare thrylos off! He's an absolute hoot!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 108 Times in 48 Posts
    I don't mind going out on a limb... being wrong isn't a crime. However, if and when thrylos98 comes back with another scoop story, he'll have to expect that he won't be taken seriously.

I think some are mistaking "piling on" for "good natured ribbing".

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast