Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35

Thread: PMac: Buehrle an option

  1. #21
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    120
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Whatever they do the twins should be paying more so that they don't have to give up as many good prospects

  2. #22
    Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    6,698
    Like
    32
    Liked 776 Times in 426 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I fully expect this to happen. And I fully expect to be depressed about it and reiterate that this is what happens when you concentrate on winning now and not building a quality organization.
    JR has a track record of prizing his prospects to the point of fault. I wouldn't worry too much about him blowing up what is becoming a rather strong farm system for three years of overpriced Mark Buerhle. That's not to say the Twins don't find a way to acquire him but I don't think JR is willing to give away a Hicks/Arcia/Sano to do it.

  3. #23
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    174
    Like
    8
    Liked 38 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Give up a switch hitting, defensive centerfielder for Mark Buehle (version 2013); I'll pass. Now if they eat salary and want someone like Vargas I may be interested.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    503
    Like
    9
    Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Marlins need a 1B. A deal for Buerhle would center around Parmalee I suspect. The big question is how much will Florida pay in his salary? 20 Million? and in that case what if anything else would we have to give up for him or get with him to balance out the trade?

  5. #25
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer 70charger's Avatar
    Posts
    931
    Like
    72
    Liked 56 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Marlins need a 1B. A deal for Buerhle would center around Parmalee I suspect. The big question is how much will Florida pay in his salary? 20 Million? and in that case what if anything else would we have to give up for him or get with him to balance out the trade?
    If they took Parmelee and $20 million, I would certainly hope nothing else would be needed. I'm assuming this wouldn't be a deal the Twins would do unless it's actually a deal that primarily gives the Marlins salary relief. And the Twins would be a great trading partner in that case, because it's not like the Marlins would be dealing him to a conference or league competitor.

  6. #26
    Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Posts
    1,235
    Like
    8
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    Morneau for Buehrle straight up?

  7. #27
    Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,080
    Like
    97
    Liked 342 Times in 195 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    JR has a track record of prizing his prospects to the point of fault. I wouldn't worry too much about him blowing up what is becoming a rather strong farm system for three years of overpriced Mark Buerhle. That's not to say the Twins don't find a way to acquire him but I don't think JR is willing to give away a Hicks/Arcia/Sano to do it.
    I want to believe that, but public pressure and budget availability leave me a bit worried.

  8. #28
    Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    6,698
    Like
    32
    Liked 776 Times in 426 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    JR has a track record of prizing his prospects to the point of fault. I wouldn't worry too much about him blowing up what is becoming a rather strong farm system for three years of overpriced Mark Buerhle. That's not to say the Twins don't find a way to acquire him but I don't think JR is willing to give away a Hicks/Arcia/Sano to do it.
    I want to believe that, but public pressure and budget availability leave me a bit worried.
    He has a 15 year track record of not making that move. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

    In fact, JR has proven incredibly adept at giving up absolutely nothing and getting something in return for it. Has any player he traded turned out to be a good acquisition for the receiving team?

  9. #29
    Banned All-Star
    Posts
    1,498
    Like
    419
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    JR has a track record of prizing his prospects to the point of fault. I wouldn't worry too much about him blowing up what is becoming a rather strong farm system for three years of overpriced Mark Buerhle. That's not to say the Twins don't find a way to acquire him but I don't think JR is willing to give away a Hicks/Arcia/Sano to do it.
    I want to believe that, but public pressure and budget availability leave me a bit worried.
    He has a 15 year track record of not making that move. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

    In fact, JR has proven incredibly adept at giving up absolutely nothing and getting something in return for it. Has any player he traded turned out to be a good acquisition for the receiving team?
    aj? hardy?

  10. #30
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer 70charger's Avatar
    Posts
    931
    Like
    72
    Liked 56 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    JR has a track record of prizing his prospects to the point of fault. I wouldn't worry too much about him blowing up what is becoming a rather strong farm system for three years of overpriced Mark Buerhle. That's not to say the Twins don't find a way to acquire him but I don't think JR is willing to give away a Hicks/Arcia/Sano to do it.
    I want to believe that, but public pressure and budget availability leave me a bit worried.
    He has a 15 year track record of not making that move. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

    In fact, JR has proven incredibly adept at giving up absolutely nothing and getting something in return for it. Has any player he traded turned out to be a good acquisition for the receiving team?
    aj? hardy?
    Remember that AJ Pierzynski was sent to San Francisco for only one year. He did okay, but he was far better with the Sux, who signed him in free agency. Also, we got Nathan, Liriano, and a scrub (Boof) in that trade as well as made room for Mauer. I'd do that again every day and twice on Sunday.

    And Hardy was traded by Bill Smith.

  11. #31
    Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    6,698
    Like
    32
    Liked 776 Times in 426 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    aj? hardy?
    The Giants hated AJ and Hardy was traded by Smith.

  12. #32
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    4,610
    Like
    512
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    He has one trade where he got serious impact players back. So ya, he often trades nothing, but he often gets nothing super meaningful in return. This team has no pitching. It has none close in the minors other than Gibson. At some point, he is going to have to trade valuable assets, or pay serious money.

  13. #33
    Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    6,698
    Like
    32
    Liked 776 Times in 426 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    He has one trade where he got serious impact players back. So ya, he often trades nothing, but he often gets nothing super meaningful in return. This team has no pitching. It has none close in the minors other than Gibson. At some point, he is going to have to trade valuable assets, or pay serious money.
    Shannon Stewart was an impact player. Rick Reed was unspectacular but definitely brought something to the team.

    Ryan is going to have to give up something to get something but I only chimed into this thread because Levi was worried he was going to overpay for mediocrity. Given Ryan's record, I don't think that should be a real concern.

  14. #34
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Posts
    608
    Like
    6
    Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
    Even Boof made it to the majors and showed some promise. That might be one of the best trades in the modern baseball era. Second only to the swap of 125,000 (1.45 million today) for this something named Babe Ruth.

  15. #35
    Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    6,698
    Like
    32
    Liked 776 Times in 426 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    Even Boof made it to the majors and showed some promise. That might be one of the best trades in the modern baseball era. Second only to the swap of 125,000 (1.45 million today) for this something named Babe Ruth.
    Ryne Sandberg for a bucket of balls and a futility guy was also a better trade.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.