Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sickels: Top 20 Twins Prospects for 2013

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sickels: Top 20 Twins Prospects for 2013

John Sickels posted his Top 20 Twins prospects this morning (actually Top 21)...

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/...pects-for-2013

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 37 Posts
    Fun read. I think his 1-9 is right although he's higher on Arcia than I thought he'd be. The Twins have some nice depth of fast to the majors bullpen arms, too. They won't all make it but enough will. I liked his Polanco write up, Twins 09 international signings were pretty solid with 3 in the top 12.
    His others to consider included Felix Jorge who I think will be a top 10 prospect at this time next year.

Hudson Boyd has been disappointing. Anyone know if he's going to be a bullpen guy or do the Twins still like him as a starter?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Fun read. I think his 1-9 is right although he's higher on Arcia than I thought he'd be. The Twins have some nice depth of fast to the majors bullpen arms, too. They won't all make it but enough will. I liked his Polanco write up, Twins 09 international signings were pretty solid with 3 in the top 12.
    His others to consider included Felix Jorge who I think will be a top 10 prospect at this time next year.

Hudson Boyd has been disappointing. Anyone know if he's going to be a bullpen guy or do the Twins still like him as a starter?
    Felix Jorge was a 'miss' for me, for sure. I think they'll keep Boyd pitching as a starter as long as they can.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    I hope they fast track bullpen guys, but I have my doubts. Cannot really argue his comments, other than maybe Benson.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I hope they fast track bullpen guys, but I have my doubts. Cannot really argue his comments, other than maybe Benson.

Agreed. If not, then what was the purpose of drafting those type of arms.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 194 Times in 122 Posts
    Those rankings are pretty impressive. There is a lot to be excited about, but I'm a little concerned about talk of the relievers drafted last year but no mention of any transition to the rotaion. Surely, Barrios and Taylor Rogers can't be the only productive arms drafted who get a shot at starting in 2013? If they are, my excitement over last years draft does a complete 180.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Overall I like Sickel's list a lot but it seems like there is always somebody that surprises me a lot. This list is pretty close to how I would rank them although I would drop Harrison down below goodrum. I wasn't that impressed with his hitting in the appy league and i'll take the athleticism of Goodrum/Polanco.

The hardest guys for me to rank is the 2012 RP'ers. Partly due knocking RP'ers down the list and partly due to limited pro data. I kind of think that the Twins went the converting RP'ers into starters route in rds 2/3 because the HS pitchers left were pretty lackluster. it might not work out but these guys have talented arms and the Twins should land a bullpen arm or two out of this group.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
    New Top 20 prospect list=raging boner.

Pretty solid list. I disagree with Benson being where he is, but I'd say the general concensus this Spring will have him around the 10 range. He still has the tools but I just don't think he will make it to the bigs...plus he has to be around 25-26 by now doesn't he?

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 301 Times in 179 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Benson took a step back... and a big one. I hope it was just injury related.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I really like Polanco. I think he has a chance to be a special player to be so young. Produced a ton of doubles this season and had a hefty slugging percentage for a 2nd baseman. I also read that Walker had the 2nd most home runs (inlcuding playoffs / 17) of any of the 2012 draftees. He hit over .350 for a career in college and even hit .400 one season. I'll take my chances that he figures it out. He won 2 summer league championships (GLSCL & Cape) and 1 in his first pro season (Appy). The Twins need guys who know how to win. I'm surprised Duffy didn't get as much love as his college teammate Chargois. He was as good if not better this summer. Finally - How does a guy like Romy Jiminez not make the list when he was having triple crown numbers before his knee injury. He is solid in almost every category and seems like a true sleeper who could have made this list.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    I'm not sure I see a special player in Polanco but I see an above average hitter and fielder which is pretty special to the Twins.

I will wait on Walker. He did what he should have done as a college player in short season ball. At minimum he should have been a more advanced short season league (NYPL or NWL) but the Twins don't have a team there. he was an excellent pick though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Those rankings are pretty impressive. There is a lot to be excited about, but I'm a little concerned about talk of the relievers drafted last year but no mention of any transition to the rotaion. Surely, Barrios and Taylor Rogers can't be the only productive arms drafted who get a shot at starting in 2013? If they are, my excitement over last years draft does a complete 180.
    Baxendale has always been a starter and will start next year. I think Bard, if healthy, will get a chance to start. There had at one time been talk of having Melotakis make some starts. I would say that Zach Jones, Tyler Duffey and JT Chargois will be only relievers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Well, my opinion is that injury was a huge part of it. He had no fewer than three serious injuries and two surgeries.

The other option, and I know most here won't like it, is that he struggled because he was pushed to the Twins too quickly for the September call-up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot789 View Post
    I really like Polanco. I think he has a chance to be a special player to be so young. Produced a ton of doubles this season and had a hefty slugging percentage for a 2nd baseman. I also read that Walker had the 2nd most home runs (inlcuding playoffs / 17) of any of the 2012 draftees. He hit over .350 for a career in college and even hit .400 one season. I'll take my chances that he figures it out. He won 2 summer league championships (GLSCL & Cape) and 1 in his first pro season (Appy). The Twins need guys who know how to win. I'm surprised Duffy didn't get as much love as his college teammate Chargois. He was as good if not better this summer. Finally - How does a guy like Romy Jiminez not make the list when he was having triple crown numbers before his knee injury. He is solid in almost every category and seems like a true sleeper who could have made this list.
    If Polanco can hit at all in the Midwest League next year, I'll rank him much higher than I did.

Duffey was a 5th round pick. Chargois was a 2nd round pick. In a year from now, that may not mean much. But at this point, when they each have just 20 minor league innings (and lots of innings at Rice), Chargois has the track record. That said, Duffey was unbelievable in his debut!

Romy Jimenez definitely is underrated. I thought he was older, but he's still just 20-21, so it's not like he's old for the level. Again, we'll see what happens in a full-season league. It's tough to make much out of Appy League numbers.

Walker... it all comes down to his ability to make contact. His power is legit.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Assuming that most of these younger guys went to instructionals this past October in Ft Myer - Any word on how they did in terms of making strides in their difficiencies? Any buzz on anybody?

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 301 Times in 179 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Well, my opinion is that injury was a huge part of it. He had no fewer than three serious injuries and two surgeries. The other option, and I know most here won't like it, is that he struggled because he was pushed to the Twins too quickly for the September call-up.
    Other than an injury or something, I fail to see how a september callup can be detrimental to anyone's career. AA was over at that point so it's not as though he lost PT. I do hope it was injury, be he struggled pretty bad before he got hurt, and other than a hot week, he didn't do very well once he got back to AA.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Well, my opinion is that injury was a huge part of it. He had no fewer than three serious injuries and two surgeries.

The other option, and I know most here won't like it, is that he struggled because he was pushed to the Twins too quickly for the September call-up.
    If 6 years in the minors before getting a call-up to the majors is pushing a player too quickly (especially for a 2nd round pick), I'd hate to see what taking it slow is like...

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    ¨twins fever¨catch it

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I can't believe he likes Arcia more than we do at TD.

I don't think I'm comfortable with having this many players on the list that were drafted last year. I don't think that's a sign of a strong system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast