Thread: Hyun-jin Ryu

Liked 36 Times in 28 Posts

Hyun-jin Ryu

According to MLB trade rumors, the South Korean starting pitcher Hyun-jin Ryu will be posted this offseaso

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...rade+Rumors%29

Do you think the Twins should be interested?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryu_Hyun-Jin
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Would he be subject to the international bonus cap?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would imagine that he would be, but since the Twins finished with such a bad record, they have the fourth-highest amount of money to spend on international FA's. He is a true Twins pitcher, as his fastball has an average just under 90, but has a devastating change, and averages about just over 50 walks a year, but averages nearly 176 K's. Sounds kinda like an Asian Tim Lincecum. I would imagine the Twins will give this guy a hard look with how good he has done over in South Korea, but will be much more cautious after what happened with Nishi.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    According to Yoo Jee-Ho of Yonhap News, Ryu Hyun-Jin is preparing to sign with a major league team.

Hyun-Jin has already hired super agent Scott Boras and should be made available via a kind of silent auction at some point this winter. The 25-year-old left-hander boasts a well-developed four-pitch arsenal and has led the KBO in strikeouts five different times. He's been drawing attention from MLB scouts since leading South Korea to the gold medal in the 2008 Beijing Olympics.
    Source: Yonhap News

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 198 Times in 125 Posts
    Not sure who is representing the two possible Japanese high schoolers but if it's not Boras I'd be more interested in them. They are not property of any pro team and wouldn't cast a posting fee. They are young and already expect to play in the minors where as the Korean All-Star will be expecting a rotation spot.

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by righty8383 View Post
    Would he be subject to the international bonus cap?
    From BA: "The other exemption involves players coming to MLB from foreign professional leagues. Players who are at least at least 23 and have played five years in a recognized professional league, such as Japan's Nippon Professional Baseball, will be exempt."

It appears that he wouldn't be subject to the international spending pool.

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Do you think the Twins should be interested?
    Given their current predicament, they absolutely should be interested. I'm not sure they'll bid a lot - and by the sounds of it, his posting fee might be out of their range - but it wouldn't hurt them to bid $5-6m and see what happens.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Not sure who is representing the two possible Japanese high schoolers but if it's not Boras I'd be more interested in them. They are not property of any pro team and wouldn't cast a posting fee. They are young and already expect to play in the minors where as the Korean All-Star will be expecting a rotation spot.
    I don't think it would be difficult to find a spot...

the problem with the japanese HS'ers is that they are subject to the int'l cap and they can pick whichever team is willing to spend almost all of their capped money (2.9M) on them. It's possible that a team needs to go over the cap and pay the luxury tax and/or forfeit a draft pick to sign Otani. Would Otani pick the Twins if there were several equivalent bids?

I don't anything about Ryu but getting a 25 yr old interests me more than getting a guy like Dempster.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Do not like Boras for a contract. May try and get a free agent year or two early. Twins still have little to lose so why don't they go for it. They need pitching, this may be a way. Depends on the contract and the amount of money to spend. Expect it will get above the Twins level(Boston, Yankees, and others)

Seeing as how he would go through the posting system is what really interested me about this guy. I'm not sure that they should compare him to Nishi either.

Hyun-jin Ryu made South Korea's Olympic team and the WBC team (2010). He did pretty well in both events and there is some pretty decent competition there at least. He's been averaging a good amount of innings in the KBO. It's hard to tell exactly how well he'll translate to the MLB, but I could see him becoming a decent starter.

Here are his lines from the Olympic and WBC:

Olympics: 2-0; 1.04 ERA (2 G, 17.1 IP, 2 ER, 13 K)
    WBC: 1-0; 2.57 ERA (5 G, 7.0 IP, 2 ER, 7 K)

The wikipedia link has his lines from the past 6 years in the KBO as well.

I thought I would pose the question to everyone here. The Twins obviously need pitching, and it would be great to get a young pitcher that already has a lot of scouting done on him. I think the Twins should really make a push for this guy. I don't think he'll be an ace or anything like that, but if the secondary pitches are as good as the scouting reports say, he could still be an asset.
    Last edited by James; 10-29-2012 at 09:13 PM.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Liked 208 Times in 110 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think anyone who uses Nishi as a reason to NOT go after a player from Japan or Taiwan or in this case South Korea is crazy. The Twins need pitching and if there is quality pitching from the Far East, the US draft, the Caribbean, Europe, Antarctica, they should be interested! Now, I won't pretend to know enough about this guy to say either way, but if he has talent, go for it. I just don't like that Nishioka comment.

Well, it took Oakland $19.1 Million to win the bid on Iwakuma after 2010. I'm not sure they had to bid that high, but that's what one. I'm not suggesting the Twins bid that high, but with how badly the Twins need pitching, I think they should really consider putting in a decent bid.

At least the Iwakuma bid could be used as a reference. If I remember reading it correctly, the Twins were second in the bidding for him when he was posted. All bids are secret, so we don't know how much they put in for him. I like the idea of going after a 25 year old better than when they made the push for Iwakuma (who was 30 at the time).

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Well, it took Oakland $19.1 Million to win the bid on Iwakuma after 2010. I'm not sure they had to bid that high, but that's what one. I'm not suggesting the Twins bid that high, but with how badly the Twins need pitching, I think they should really consider putting in a decent bid.

At least the Iwakuma bid could be used as a reference. If I remember reading it correctly, the Twins were second in the bidding for him when he was posted. All bids are secret, so we don't know how much they put in for him. I like the idea of going after a 25 year old better than when they made the push for Iwakuma (who was 30 at the time).
    I heard they put in a bid somewhere in the $8-10 million range.

The Dodgers have won the bidding for him with a bid of $25,737,737.33.

I didn't think an $8-10 million would do it. Let's hope the Twins actually did make a bid at least.