Thread: Lucas Giolito suffers an elbow injury

Twins Daily Writer Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries

Lucas Giolito suffers an elbow injury

Lucas Giolito, one of the top prospects the Twins were examining for the number two pick in June's MLB Draft, is out for the rest of his high school season with an elbow injury. It is a sprained UCL and won't require Tommy John surgery but his stock will most certainly drop.

This injury will cost the young man millions of dollars and he might be forced to go to college for a few seasons to prove he can be healthy.

This is a tough break for the Twins in a draft that doesn't have a ton of talent at the top for them to pick from with the number two selection.

Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Huh. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Parker Hageman View Post
    Huh. Weird.

While obviously no one is happy about this, I do find it amusing that Parker called this literally days ago. Nothing like a little credibility for one of the "Godfathers" (btw thats what I'm calling the TC crew from now on, especially the Geek).

Liked 351 Times in 200 Posts
    I feel really sorry for this young man. But I'm beginning to think the Twins need to go out and sacrifice a chicken.

First there were all the injuries last season. Then when they finally manage to have a number of high draft picks, it is in a fairly weak draft. Then they take a risk on Zumaya that only lasts about a week. Now a weak draft has gotten weaker.

Twins just seem to have a bad karma kind of thing going.

Well that sucks...

If Appel goes first does this mean the Twins will focus on one of the highly touted position players? Even if the Astros don't take Appel I'd rather the Twins focus on Zunino the catcher out of Florida orCarlos Correa the Puerto Rican SS.

Senior Member Double-A Neinstein's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was hoping they would take Appel before Giolito. Heck, even Marrero. I feel bad for the kid, but I'm also relieved.
    I bet Houston takes Zunino. They're in need of a good catcher down the road.
    Last edited by Neinstein; 05-15-2012 at 04:48 PM. Reason: .

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Lucas Giolito threw today for the first time in 8 weeks. https://twitter.com/#!/RickGiolito/s...566658/photo/1

Liked 317 Times in 189 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Lucas Giolito threw today for the first time in 8 weeks. https://twitter.com/#!/RickGiolito/s...566658/photo/1
    That's good stuff, even though it was probably like a soft toss (see the non-spin on the ball?) to his dad... Good to see him toss...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 608 Times in 325 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    I feel really sorry for this young man. But I'm beginning to think the Twins need to go out and sacrifice a chicken.
    LOL......that seriously is not a bad idea at this point!

Just seeing the numbers of the other potential draftees from last week I'm thinking it's more and more a good idea to draft Giolito. Appel had 9 hits and 4 Ks in 7 IP, Gausman had 3ER and 4 Ks in 7 IP, Zimmer was scratched from his start because of injury. Plus with our track record any one of these guys will have TJ in a year or two if drafted by the twins anyways, might as well just go with the youngest guy with the most potential. In fact I'm thinking we just draft him and have him get TJ right away to save time.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post

First there were all the injuries last season. Then when they finally manage to have a number of high draft picks, it is in a fairly weak draft. Then they take a risk on Zumaya that only lasts about a week. Now a weak draft has gotten weaker.

Twins just seem to have a bad karma kind of thing going.
    Bucket of chicken, right Cerrano?

Seriously, reminds me of the T-Wolves, always drafting third in a two-person draft ( I.e. Shaq, Mourning, Laettner)

Liked 351 Times in 200 Posts
    Doesn't have to be a chicken. I'm okay with hiring an exorcist, too. Or, as many have suggested, putting the trees back.

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 608 Times in 325 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TKGuy View Post
    Bucket of chicken, right Cerrano?
    Just watched that movie again on the plane last week, it retains it's charm but sadly looked all too familiar....except for the winning part.