Thread: MLBTradeRumors.com announces their free agent predictions

Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries

MLBTradeRumors.com announces their free agent predictions

MLBTradeRumors.com has identified what they believe are the Top 50 Free Agents this offseason and have predicted their landing spots. For the Twins, they've predicted Terry Ryan would lock up Joe Blanton and Scott Baker.

Rotation? Fixed.
    @OverTheBaggy

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    meh.
    Speculation. Guesses. Not anymore informed than the average fan on this board.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This list was one of the highlights of the offseason for me last year. Not only does Dierkes have them locking up those two, he also has them looking into Anibal Sanchez, Shaun Marcum, and Jeremy Guthrie. Of the other pitchers on this list, I could (and hope to) also see them going after: Edwin Jackson, Dan Haren (if the Angels don't get a trade worked out), Joe Saunders, and Joel Peralta (for bullpen help). Not that they should count on even having a shot, but just calling Greinke's agent for a working price wouldn't be the worst thing, either. After that, pitchers they would want to bring in (other than relief pitchers) probably aren't worth giving a shot.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    if the Twins don't sign Greinke they will be in last place for the next 3 years.

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 67 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    if the Twins don't sign Greinke they will be in last place for the next 3 years.
    Sarcasm? What's worrisome is that if they sign Greinke they might not be in first place each of the next 3 years.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    Sarcasm? What's worrisome is that if they sign Greinke they might not be in first place each of the next 3 years.
    What's worrisome is that even if they sign greinke they might be in last place...

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    If the Twins are truly serious about fixing the rotation it can't/won't be done through free agency alone, one of Span/Morneau/Willingham/prospects will have to be moved for a front line starter as well.

Liked 293 Times in 165 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    If the Twins are truly serious about fixing the rotation it can't/won't be done through free agency alone, one of Span/Morneau/Willingham/prospects will have to be moved for a front line starter as well.
    That makes sense to me, considering that the Twins will likely get outbid on the good starters who are free agents.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    If Blanton is the best we can do (having made $10M last year), we're in deep trouble. He hasn't shown much since '07. Hopefully, there's someone out there who's willing to do what Jackson did last year - take a one-year deal to set themselves up for a multi-year deal. And if we're lucky, they'll do well, like it here and want to stay longer term (i.e. Pavano, Willingham, Doumit).

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    I don't mind the idea of Blanton. He's an okay back end of the rotation guy and being at Target Field might help him suppress some of those HR's compared to Citizen's Park. He's not going to get 10 million this off season either.

The MLB Trade Rumors Free Agent prediction page is always depressing to me, because I know that the Twins have never been aggressive shoppers, so I see names that I think would be a good fit or help the team improve and I doubt the Twins will make an offer to the player, let alone a competitive one.

Signing Willingham and Doumit last year was really encouraging, though. I would be really happy if the Twins went against their usual tendencies and went after some of the better Free Agent Starters or made some aggressive moves on the trade market.

Is there a list somewhere of Starting Pitchers that are likely to be traded? I've seen rumors about Buerhle and lots of speculation about Dan Haren being traded before his option is due- anyone else?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by iastfan112 View Post
    I don't mind the idea of Blanton. He's an okay back end of the rotation guy and being at Target Field might help him suppress some of those HR's compared to Citizen's Park. He's not going to get 10 million this off season either.
    Last year, Citizen's park was 11th in HRs and Target was 14th...so not much difference...and overall Target played more of a hitter's park than Citizen's bank. Source: ESPN MLB Park Factors.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_Waved_At_Me View Post
    Signing Willingham and Doumit last year was really encouraging, though.
    True, but it was predictable...and also remember, they weren't additions to our roster replacing weak players, but replacements for Cuddy and Kubel. Yes, this year they were upgrades to those two, but that's one year and with the saved money they didn't do anything with it
    Last edited by ThePuck; 11-01-2012 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    True, but it was predictable...and also remember, they weren't additions to our roster replacing weak players, but replacements for Cuddy and Kubel.
    Agreed - In theory, the Twins still haven't replaced Liriano, Pavano and, ahem, Marquis.

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 613 Times in 329 Posts
    Dierkes pretty much tells us how much this is worth in his opening paragraph when he says he got 8 of 50 of these correct last year.

Complete guess work.