Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: State of the Twins Bullpen

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: State of the Twins Bullpen

I'd say I agree on all counts, except that I would spend money to bring in Jeremy Affeldt. He can get righties and lefties out and is proven and he would be late-inning insurance in case Burton's injury problems recurr and Fein can't repeat his performance. I think TR will likely not spend big on any free agent pitcher but will get two guys at a $4-6 million per year range for 2-3 years, like Correia and Iwakuma, giving a similar contract to Affeldt would be a good move also. Then trade Morneau and/or Span if you can get a good starter for them.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    The Twins pay for a closer. They do not pay for set up guys. They let Crain and Guerrier go rather than sign for the 4-5 million range. They will bring in another 5-6 question marks and try to unearth a gem.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    The Twins pay for a closer. They do not pay for set up guys. They let Crain and Guerrier go rather than sign for the 4-5 million range. They will bring in another 5-6 question marks and try to unearth a gem.
    I have to agree! To sign a set-up guy (irrespective of how strongly qualified) to more money (a lot more!) than the closer (Perkins), would "upset the apple cart" and cause considerable friction. Perkins would be demanding a contract renogiation and threaten to never re-sign.

I think Ryan stated that the bullpen was the #2 need because it's far easier (and much cheaper) to obtain two quality RPs than one quality starter. Three new SPs is a daunting task--especially for a last place team! But, two starters and two RPs is easier, less expensive, and likely to result in exactly the same increase in wins, given that the Twins would not be attracting three "front of the rotation" SPs--at least one of them will be a #4/#5 type SP.

To me the bullpen is third priority after starting pitching and middle infield. Dont spend money on depth in bullpen after Perkins and Duensing and Fien and Burton. Use what we have maybe add Walters Spend the money on middle infield and mostly starting pitching.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    I have to agree! To sign a set-up guy (irrespective of how strongly qualified) to more money (a lot more!) than the closer (Perkins), would "upset the apple cart" and cause considerable friction. Perkins would be demanding a contract renogiation and threaten to never re-sign.

I think Ryan stated that the bullpen was the #2 need because it's far easier (and much cheaper) to obtain two quality RPs than one quality starter. Three new SPs is a daunting task--especially for a last place team! But, two starters and two RPs is easier, less expensive, and likely to result in exactly the same increase in wins, given that the Twins would not be attracting three "front of the rotation" SPs--at least one of them will be a #4/#5 type SP.
    there are only 3 reasons a quality starter would sign with the twins ...
    1 we grossly over pay him
    2 he needs chemotherapy and is getting treatment at the mayo clinic
    3 he is in the witness protection program ....
    god bless america go twins

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would prioritize the bullpen in the sense that I want (at least) last year's productivity out of a 6-man bullpen instead of a 7-man pen. Right now it looks like they have a 4-man bench made up of Butera/Herman, Dozier/Escobar, Parmelee, and Mastro. The bench and the defense just gets worse if they trade Span and insert Parmelee into RF.