Thread: Article: What's Next For Delmon Young Now That Tigers Won't Bring Him Back?

Liked 12 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Tigers Have No Interest in Bringing Back Delmon Young

In watching Young play, I've never seen a pro ballplayer more awkward in his movements. In the outfield, running, only at bat did he look somewhat coordinated. Has he ever been good at any aspects of the game besides hitting? I had high hopes for him when started the season (was it 2010?) thinner, ready to work hard and seeming to buy into the "twins way". However nothing panned out. He really seems one-dimensional at best. As for the personal side, I have to think back to the minors when he flipped a bat "toward" an umpire (which struck him) and got suspended 50 games. He seems to have a streak of impulsivity that he can't control. Sad. I would say any high expectations were unwarranted and as for what's next, I think someone will pick him up.

He's obviously a DH only, & the team that may give him a look is Houston, as it moves to the AL.
    They dont have a diffinitive DH & need to find some improvement on the offensive end. Probably a one year 5m type deal.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan214 View Post
    In watching Young play, I've never seen a pro ballplayer more awkward in his movements. In the outfield, running, only at bat did he look somewhat coordinated. Has he ever been good at any aspects of the game besides hitting? I had high hopes for him when started the season (was it 2010?) thinner, ready to work hard and seeming to buy into the "twins way". However nothing panned out. He really seems one-dimensional at best. As for the personal side, I have to think back to the minors when he flipped a bat "toward" an umpire (which struck him) and got suspended 50 games. He seems to have a streak of impulsivity that he can't control. Sad. I would say any high expectations were unwarranted and as for what's next, I think someone will pick him up.
    Delmon has one of the best throwing arms in MLB. So yes he does have skills outside of hitting.

Liked 321 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Based on recent history, DY will be Baltimore-bound
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 611 Times in 235 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    Delmon has one of the best throwing arms in MLB. So yes he does have skills outside of hitting.
    And he really had that arm on display in the playoffs.

Those worms will never recover.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ballÖ and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    He's obviously a DH only, & the team that may give him a look is Houston, as it moves to the AL.
    They dont have a diffinitive DH & need to find some improvement on the offensive end. Probably a one year 5m type deal.
    In what way is Delmon Young an improvement on the offensive end?

Delmon, like Liriano, will probably get a one year deal...and both will be after-thoughts, sadly. Delmon is now an OF/DH. For the money he made this year, you can get the same production a lot cheaper. As a DH, he isn't a perfect fit, and he isn't a bat to come off the bench and produce.

Liriano has some major rebuilding. He will end up being low-balled and being a back of the rotation question. He won't go with a team that could threaten him to the bullpen, but may not have a choice. I always felt Liriano had the attitude of chasing the money, but he might be best served if he did go the bullpen and potential closer route, or great set-up guy...which could extend his career beyond reason. But the carrot money is in starting and he (and his agent) will still search that. He would be a great gamble for 2013 as he will pitch his heart out -- now -- knowing he needs to if he wants that 3-4 year starting rotation long-term contract.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Liked 26 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My DY prediction: He strikes out 150+ times in 2013 and takes only 20 free passes. The Houston Astros pay him $6mil/yr for 3 seasons and he is their everyday DH, although plays almost 20 games in LF/RF over the course of the season.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    First line is Delmon. Second line is Ryan Doumit. Doumit signed two year extension for $3.5 M per. Twins got a deal and/or Delmon gets a pay cut.

G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+
    151 608 574 54 153 27 1 18 74 0 2 20 112 .267 .296 .411 .707 89
    134 528 484 56 133 34 1 18 75 0 0 29 98 .275 .320 .461 .781 114

Liked 321 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    First line is Delmon. Second line is Ryan Doumit. Doumit signed two year extension for $3.5 M per. Twins got a deal and/or Delmon gets a pay cut.

G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+
    151 608 574 54 153 27 1 18 74 0 2 20 112 .267 .296 .411 .707 89
    134 528 484 56 133 34 1 18 75 0 0 29 98 .275 .320 .461 .781 114
    Maybe you need to add Morneau's line there too
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Quote Originally Posted by Kobs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    In what way is Delmon Young an improvement on the offensive end?
    Improvement over a pitcher hitting?? Gotta be something!!!

How about Gardy bein terrified of DHing him for 5 seasons as Delmon is very close to never carrying a glove again.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Delmon was great with TB. Played cf in 35 of there game and started in all of the 162 games. He is also Mr. October.

I think I am the only one of the face of the earth that actually likes the guy(I fricken bought his jersey when he was on the Twins). Maybe I just feel sorry for the guy.

"There's no feeling sorry for a guy in baseball!"

Tom Hanks

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Land Of 10,000 Beasts View Post
    I think I am the only one of the face of the earth that actually likes the guy(I fricken bought his jersey when he was on the Twins). Maybe I just feel sorry for the guy.
    I take it you are not an umpire or Jewish.

Young will float around on the borders for a while because he has some offensive ability. At the end of the day, this will be yet another example of a guy with all the tools flaming out because he is a headcase.

Unrealized potential.
    KInd of sad, really.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Maybe you need to add Morneau's line there too
    I see a pay cut in his future too.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    He'd be a good "enforcer" type for any team that might take him on. Just one bad call and the bats will be flying.
    Mastermind of the "Free Bert" sign.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 611 Times in 235 Posts
    The only thing he can adequately throw these days are insults.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ballÖ and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's