Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

Thread: Mackey: How to Fix the Twins? (Part 3)

  1. #1
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    5,916
    Like
    41
    Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515

    Mackey: How to Fix the Twins? (Part 3)

    You'll want to read Part 1 and Part 2 as well, but in Part 3, PHIL makes a few reasonable moves and shows what that could mean for the Twins. A couple of smart moves and some improvements by key young players and it feels realistic.

    http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/H...ade_fits103112

  2. #2
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer mikeee's Avatar
    Posts
    702
    Like
    6
    Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    He seems pretty optimistic if the moves are made.

  3. #3
    Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Posts
    1,754
    Like
    129
    Liked 105 Times in 63 Posts
    Span for Mike Minor seems pretty wishful to me.

  4. #4
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Span for Mike Minor seems pretty wishful to me.
    It's apparent you don't think much of Span, which is probably where the disconnect is. Span was rated as the 3rd best defensive CF in baseball by the voters giving the Fielding Bible awards and he's a pretty darn good leadoff guy who sees a lot of pitches and has a team friendly contract. I guess some of us feel there's more value there than you think there is.

  5. #5
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,610
    Like
    32
    Liked 176 Times in 101 Posts
    Span for Minor: Why exactly would the Braves make this trade?
    Marcum for 6 mil a year for 2 years? That is extremely wishful thinking, Marcum is one of the top 3 or 4 pitchers on the market. He is going to get paid.

  6. #6
    Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Posts
    1,754
    Like
    129
    Liked 105 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Span for Mike Minor seems pretty wishful to me.
    It's apparent you don't think much of Span, which is probably where the disconnect is. Span was rated as the 3rd best defensive CF in baseball by the voters giving the Fielding Bible awards and he's a pretty darn good leadoff guy who sees a lot of pitches and has a team friendly contract. I guess some of us feel there's more value there than you think there is.
    I see a lot of value, just not as much as a starting pitcher who's been healthy, under twenty five, and under team control for four years.

    Span's health issues do play a big part in my view of his ability to fetch a return, which is something I think we've been understating.

  7. #7
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Span for Minor: Why exactly would the Braves make this trade?
    Marcum for 6 mil a year for 2 years? That is extremely wishful thinking, Marcum is one of the top 3 or 4 pitchers on the market. He is going to get paid.
    Who is playing CF for Atlanta next year? Any idea?

  8. #8
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    967
    Like
    3
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    Well, if rumors are true and Span has been shopped around, the rest of the league doesn't value Span as highly as the Twins do. My guess is if they could/can get starting pitching for him they will pull the trigger. I personally agree with PseudoSABR, that that kind of player is a major reach for Span.

  9. #9
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Span for Mike Minor seems pretty wishful to me.
    It's apparent you don't think much of Span, which is probably where the disconnect is. Span was rated as the 3rd best defensive CF in baseball by the voters giving the Fielding Bible awards and he's a pretty darn good leadoff guy who sees a lot of pitches and has a team friendly contract. I guess some of us feel there's more value there than you think there is.
    I see a lot of value, just not as much as a starting pitcher who's been healthy, under twenty five, and under team control for four years.

    Span's health issues do play a big part in my view of his ability to fetch a return, which is something I think we've been understating.
    That pitcher also hasn't done a whole lot yet at the major league level...none of his major league numbers really stand out especially when you consider he's an NL pitcher. And pitching is an area of strength for the team. I understand there's a lot of hype around him, based on him being a #7 pick and some of his minor league numbers, but we still don't know for sure how good he'll be here.

    Me, personally, I don't see if happening either, but I don't think it's far-fetched.

  10. #10
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Well, if rumors are true and Span has been shopped around, the rest of the league doesn't value Span as highly as the Twins do. My guess is if they could/can get starting pitching for him they will pull the trigger. I personally agree with PseudoSABR, that that kind of player is a major reach for Span.
    Or the Twins are doing what they always do WAY overvaluing their trade chips...

  11. #11
    Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Posts
    2,340
    Like
    227
    Liked 170 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    The most team friendly part of Span's team-friendly contract has passed. For comparison, the Rays are getting about 1 Win/$1m spent on their core players. Unless you think Span is going to rattle off 10 wins in the next two seasons, he'll probably need to be packaged with someone else or cash to get a decent SP in return, esp. one who is young and/or relatively cheap. That is before even considering things like his concussion issues or age.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Posts
    968
    Like
    4
    Liked 108 Times in 48 Posts
    He's got Dozier starting at 2B and getting 450 PAs and Florimon starting at SS and getting 340 PAs... but no new middle infielders.

  13. #13
    Owner All-Star John Bonnes's Avatar
    Posts
    2,286
    Like
    1
    Liked 105 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries
    231
    I thought this was really well done. It doesn't shy away from details and throws in enough sabr math to support the conclusions without going overboard. I also think he's probably a little low on the cost of Marcum, but he has room to go higher. Mike Minor might be a reach for Span, but he might not, and he gives some other names worth considering from Atlanta.

  14. #14
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    The most team friendly part of Span's team-friendly contract has passed. For comparison, the Rays are getting about 1 Win/$1m spent on their core players. Unless you think Span is going to rattle off 10 wins in the next two seasons, he'll probably need to be packaged with someone else or cash to get a decent SP in return, esp. one who is young and/or relatively cheap. That is before even considering things like his concussion issues or age.
    His age being all of 29...

    Okay...so...let's say they don't want to use Jennings in CF, which FA CF is gonna be cheaper than Span over the next two years who is also younger and fits their leadoff needs?

    BTW, I also mentioned Revere at the beginning of all this...

  15. #15
    Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,064
    Like
    97
    Liked 338 Times in 192 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Okay...so...let's say they don't want to use Jennings in CF, which FA CF is gonna be cheaper than Span over the next two years who is also younger and fits their leadoff needs?

    BTW, I also mentioned Revere at the beginning of all this...
    So first to back up your point you make an assumption that is extremely favorable to your viewpoint? Cmon. The Rays have never acted in a way that is restricted by such limited, conventional thinking. They won't be taken to the woodshed in a Span deal because of some perceived "need" for a certain type of player at one position. Leadoff hitters don't have to play CF - they can address their OBP needs in other ways without Span. Your entire premise in this thread is built on the idea that we have Tampa right where we want them. That's hardly the case. The deal makes some sense for both sides and is worth exploring, but it is a bit far fetched to think you'll land Shields for Span. Just as it is that you'll land a top SP prospect for him.

  16. #16
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    So first to back up your point you make an assumption that is extremely favorable to your viewpoint? Cmon. The Rays have never acted in a way that is restricted by such limited, conventional thinking. They won't be taken to the woodshed in a Span deal because of some perceived "need" for a certain type of player at one position. Leadoff hitters don't have to play CF - they can address their OBP needs in other ways without Span. Your entire premise in this thread is built on the idea that we have Tampa right where we want them. That's hardly the case. The deal makes some sense for both sides and is worth exploring, but it is a bit far fetched to think you'll land Shields for Span. Just as it is that you'll land a top SP prospect for him.
    Okay..I never said that the CF had to be a leadoff guy...just that they need a CF and a leadoff guy and him being able to do both works in his value...and I never said we have them right where we want them, just that it makes a lot of sense for both sides because of the things TB is looking to address...

    And, as John Bonnes already stated, 'Jason Collette, who I trust, says the Rays are almost undoubtedly going to be interested in acquiring a CFer this year. He wouldn't rule out a Shields for Span deal, straight up. '

    Now, maybe the guy I asked will answer the question...since it was about value...
    Last edited by ThePuck; 11-01-2012 at 04:56 PM.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    501
    Like
    9
    Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8

    SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    He's got Dozier starting at 2B and getting 450 PAs and Florimon starting at SS and getting 340 PAs... but no new middle infielders.
    I don't have them doing anything there either this offseason as I believe their goal of solid defense is in place and will suffice for now. Once they know what they have for pitching next year and see how Arcia, Hicks, and Parmalee develop I can see one of them being traded either in July next year or next offseason for a SS.

  18. #18
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    He's got Dozier starting at 2B and getting 450 PAs and Florimon starting at SS and getting 340 PAs... but no new middle infielders.
    I don't have them doing anything there either this offseason as I believe their goal of solid defense is in place and will suffice for now. Once they know what they have for pitching next year and see how Arcia, Hicks, and Parmalee develop I can see one of them being traded either in July next year or next offseason for a SS.
    Do you believe having Dozier at 2B and Florimon at shortstop gives us solid defense?

  19. #19
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    289
    Like
    4
    Liked 44 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    I don't see why people undervalue Span so much here. He's a 2-4 win player at a minimum. If you include his option he's slated to make $20 million in the next 3 years. Angel Pagan is going to cost around 5 years, $60 million. Which player/contract would you choose? His health issue was due to a concussion in 2011 that didn't affect him all of 2012. He hurt his shoulder on a diving catch in 2012, it's not like he has a lingering injury that he can't seem to get over.

    I think people feel his value is low because he hasn't been traded yet. I feel that's due to the Twins asking for too much, not teams undervaluing him.

  20. #20
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    5,916
    Like
    41
    Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Do you believe having Dozier at 2B and Florimon at shortstop gives us solid defense?
    I do, especially when you've got Jamey Carroll playing as much at the two positions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.