Thread: Carl Pavano Retiring?

Carl Pavano Retiring?

I was googling Carl Pavano, and I ran across this gossip site that mentioned that he bought a mansion in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida. It said that he applied for a homestead exemption which saves owners on property taxes as long as they live there.

The line that caught my eye was "Sports talkers in the Twin Cities have been speculating that Pavano is planning to hang up his glove this winter ...."

I had not heard this rumor before. I must not listen to the right "sports talkers" I guess.

Has anyone else heard that Pavano might be calling it quits? Have I missed something?

Anyway, I'm not sure I buy it. His family will live in the home while he's off being a baseball player, if that's what he decides to do.

I thought I'd throw it out there for discussion.

Here's the link:
    http://gossipextra.com/2012/10/25/ca...da-house-1952/

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 176 Times in 101 Posts
    I'd be pretty surprised if he retired, other then his injury the guy has been pretty productive the past couple years, he's not going to make a ton of money but he seems to generally enjoy playing still. If he comes back healthy I could see him bouncing around the league for another 2-4 years potentially.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    new twins site up and running ¨¨twins fever¨¨ catch ithe fever

Liked 1,032 Times in 469 Posts
    Giving Carl Pavano $16.5M after the 2010 season ranks up near the top of Bill Smith's long list of incredibly stupid decisions.

Adios Carl. Don't care if he retires or not, but let him throw his junk for someone else, please. He performed his smoke and mirrors pitching act well in 2009, but hoping he could continue with that was wishful thinking.

Liked 290 Times in 162 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pavano might make a comeback. He has done that before. But I agree that the Twins should pass, unless he can show that his velocity has recovered.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Giving Carl Pavano $16.5M after the 2010 season ranks up near the top of Bill Smith's long list of incredibly stupid decisions.

Adios Carl. Don't care if he retires or not, but let him throw his junk for someone else, please. He performed his smoke and mirrors pitching act well in 2009, but hoping he could continue with that was wishful thinking.
    Pavano had an excellent season in 2010 and it didn't make sense to let the teams second best pitcher leave, esp after it turned out we could get for half of what most people thought he'd get (3/30). He had another solid season in 2011 (over 220 ip again and another 3WAR year) and, according to fangraphs, was worth 16.2m over those two years. I have no idea how you can think he wasn't a very good pitcher in 2010 or 2011. I suspect he signs somewhere for few million + incentives. Maybe with us but probably with an NL team (maybe Pitt). If he's healthy, he'll make someone look smart.

Liked 1,032 Times in 469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post

Pavano had an excellent season in 2010 and it didn't make sense to let the teams second best pitcher leave, esp after it turned out we could get for half of what most people thought he'd get (3/30). He had another solid season in 2011 (over 220 ip again and another 3WAR year) and, according to fangraphs, was worth 16.2m over those two years. I have no idea how you can think he wasn't a very good pitcher in 2010 or 2011. I suspect he signs somewhere for few million + incentives. Maybe with us but probably with an NL team (maybe Pitt). If he's healthy, he'll make someone look smart.
    Yeah, I meant he pitched well in 2010, which should have been obvious from the rest of the quote.

But I stand by the opinion, which I positied on BYTO at the time, that signing Pavano to that 2 yr deal was a mistake. It clearly was.

As for the 3 yr deal that "most thought" he'd get, that was never going to happen, which was why he came crawling back to the Twins and accepted a 2 yr deal. And I'd hardly refer to 2011 as "solid." Solid in relation to what the Twins ran out, maybe, but not solid in relation to what the competition is running out.

With pitchers like Pavano, aging with middling stuff to begin with, if you get lucky and get a season or two of competence, you take that and run. You let somebody else overpay for past performance and go find the next one. Bill Smith of course, took his meager winnings from the Pavano trade, doubled down, and let the house take back all the profit, plus some.