Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Twins Claim RHP Josh Roenicke, IF Thomas Field from Colorado

Liked 204 Times in 108 Posts
    Blog Entries

Twins Claim RHP Josh Roenicke, IF Thomas Field from Colorado

According to the Troy Renck, the Twins have claimed RHP Josh Roenicke and Infielder Thomas Field from the Colorado Rockies.

Last year in Colorado, Roenicke went 4-2 with a 3.25 ERA and a 1.44 WHIP. In 88.2 innings, he walked 43 and struckout 54. Looks awful Jeff Gray-like to me. I wouldn't be surprised if the Twins decided to DFA him in the coming days and try to sneak him through on a minor league deal. He's pitched in the big leagues for Cincinnati and Toronto before the Rockies.

Field hits about like Pedro Florimon who the Twins claimed from the Orioles after the 2011 season. He played in just two games for the Rockies last year after hitting .246/.315/.400 with 31 doubles, 6 triples and 8 home runs for Colorado Springs last year. He committed 24 errors in 117 games in 2012. He had played 16 games for the Rockies in 2011.

Roenick: http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...oenijo01.shtml

Field: http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=field-003tho
    Last edited by Seth Stohs; 11-02-2012 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Updated

In addition to Roenicke, they've claimed weak-hitting infielder Thomas Field, also from the Rockies:
    The Twins claimed reliever Josh Roenicke and infielder Thomas Field off of waivers from the Rockies, Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports (Twitter links). Neither player has become arbitration eligible yet.
    Roenicke made 63 relief appearances for the Rockies this past season, completing 88 2/3 innings. The 30-year-old posted a career-best 3.25 ERA with 5.5 K/9, 4.4 BB/9 and a 50.2% ground ball rate with Colorado. His average fastball checks in at 92.3 mph and he generated swinging strikes with 8.8% of his offerings.
    Field, 25, appeared in two games with the Rockies this past season. He spent most of the year at Triple-A, where he posted a .246/.315/.400 batting line in 494 plate appearances as the team's primary shortstop.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#uhvK4fQoIoSdt11a.99

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Funny, Slama had a 4.4 BB/9 rate at AAA as well, yet had a K/9 rate of 13.6.
    If Twins can't re-sign Hunter, plans are to trade, sign a FA or go in-house to find a replacement.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 198 Times in 125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    According to the Troy Renck, the Twins have claimed RHP Josh Roenicke from the Colorado Rockies.

Last year in Colorado, he went 4-2 with a 3.25 ERA and a 1.44 WHIP. In 88 innings, he walked 43 and struckout 54. Looks awful LIKE Jeff Gray to me. I wouldn't be surprised if the Twins decided to DFA him in the coming days and try to sneak him through on a minor league deal. He's pitched in the big leagues for Cincinnati and Toronto before the Rockies.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...oenijo01.shtml
    Not to offend, but I felt the need to proof read that post. I think you mis-worded that fourth sentance.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Musk21 View Post
    OMG shoot me please!!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Casilla claimed on waivers by Baltimore.

Found on mlbtraderumors.

How reliable is this source...there is nothing on either MLB.com or Twinsbaseball.com about these transactions...

Quote Originally Posted by Musk21 View Post

Are AAA and MLB comparable?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DAM DC Twins Fans View Post
    How reliable is this source...there is nothing on either MLB.com or Twinsbaseball.com about these transactions...
    We wouldn't post them here if they weren't reliable sources. Long-time rockies beat writer Troy Renck, one of the best in baseball, posted the Rockies players.

Blog Entries
    My sense (hope?) is that both of these players will be put on waivers by the Twins over the coming weeks. I hope they get through. Depth is a very good thing to have.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    My sense (hope?) is that both of these players will be put on waivers by the Twins over the coming weeks. I hope they get through. Depth is a very good thing to have.
    Hope you're right. At least the Casilla 9-lives tour has gone on to Baltimore. Makes it a banner day.

Liked 321 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Baltimore is going to have the 2010 Twins' DP combo next season...

Tommy Field is more like Nick Punto than Pedro Florimon. Generously listed at 5'8". I just do not understand these 2 waiver picks since they do take space and they are not any better than anything the Twins' have. Roenicke has a Reds' connection so maybe that was part of it (Krivsky)
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 39 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In regards to looking for BP help, I'd be more interested in flamethrower/substance-abuser Jeremy Jeffress. He would add an element the big bullpen is lacking... and still has potential.

Blog Entries
    Josh Roenicke is Ron Roenicke's nephew. The Brewers already have Ron's son in their system (sounds familiar?) so maybe the Twins can work a trade out for the nephew...
    -----

Liked 35 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DAM DC Twins Fans View Post
    Both the Twins claims and the Cassila things are on MLBTraderumors.com. They usually post pretty reliable information that they get from beat writers and agents, etc.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    Dumpster-diving.

I am NOT a fan of this move & hope they outright him to ROC but....
    From 08-11,, Roenicke had 8.9K/p for his 69.2IP but with 4.4bb/9 & 5.17ERA. He has had the ability to strike out guys but walks WAY too many but did get his ERA down in COL by not striking out as many.
    If he is a pen candidate OVER Alex Burnett, I wouldnt be as opposed to Jeff Gray, who provided nothing

Blog Entries
    Here is some interesting reading from the MLBtraderumors page of the pickup. There is a bit of info about Field and looks like Rockies' fans hated the move re:Roenicke. More details from the Denver post here: Roenicke really confused by the move and it is said that he was a popular guy at the clubhouse. Also reading the comments, more Denver fans hated Roenicke leaving. Both places fans feel he was one of the best in the team (again, the Rockies lost more games than the Twins last season)
    -----

Blog Entries
    http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...medium=twitter

Hardball Talk gives the Twins an A for the Roenicke claim.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...medium=twitter

Hardball Talk gives the Twins an A for the Roenicke claim.
    But their quote on Fields
    The way I see it, he doesn’t have the glove to make it as a full-time shortstop or the bat to be useful as a utilityman. But at least he’ll fit right in on the Twins. Grade D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast