Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Is it too late for Joe Benson?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    Really can't trade him for anything right now. The Twins will give him another year to reclaim his status or else they'll remove him from the 40-man and he could potentially latch on somewhere else.

I think 2013 will be the year that we find out if Benson is more similar to Torii Hunter or Lew Ford.
    I was thinking Chad Allen.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ALessKosherScott View Post
    IMO, the biggest problem most people have with with prospects and young players is the tendency to overbuild hope when things are going well, and abandon ship too quickly when the stats go south.

Benson wasn't a future all-star in 2011. But he's at least got a a valid excuse in a bum wrist for what happened in 2012. At the bare minimum, he has the brand of defense and platoon spilts you like to see in a good fourth outfielder.
    You are right on!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Maybe this belongs in the "Hot Damn! Rub that Crystal Ball!! thread, but 2014 Twins OF:

LF - Arcia/Revere
    CF - Hicks
    RF - Benson/Arcia

Benson's ceiling is much higher than Revere's but his floor is also lower. At minimum I think he could be a valuable platoon guy since both Arcia and Revere are LH. Revere is arbitration eligible in 2014. I'm not sure he will be worth the increases in salary he will get. Revere's defense is well above average, but both Hicks and Benson are said to be above average to excellent in CF and should provide more punch at the plate. Of course all of this is wishful thinking.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Maybe more likely mid-2014 or 2015.

What's his status? Winter League..ReHab..Sitting at home with his feet up?
    I agree, would like to keep him. But maybe more value in a, throw in/trade type guy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12