Thread: Article: The Case For Trading Span

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: The Case For Trading Span

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    No brainer. You have to give up something to get something, and their only possible excess is outfielders.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    How shocked would we all be to see the Hammer traded instead?

I agree we have to trade value to get value. Are more teams looking for defense and a lead off hitter or power from a corner outfield position? I think it is obvious that we have more and better replacements for Spans skills, but what is more valued by the teams we will be potentially trading with?

Again, I want to see us trade our way into some quality pitching, however in my view it is more likely that Span will improve on his 2012 totals at the plate then Willingham. I feel that Span will continue to improve his numbers as he distances himself from his concussion. I think we just saw the best Willingham has to offer this past season. It still is a tough call when you take into account that we can not replace Willingham's power and the impact that it had last season when he batted between Mauer and Morneau.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I agree on Willingham, but I think most teams do also....

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 332 Times in 162 Posts
    We lost 99 and 96 games the last 2 seasons. Everyone should be on the table, a couple minor moves will not fix this team.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 75 Posts
    I believe that Morneau will also be dealt. Starting pitching is a requirement--and the Twins need it! There are also plenty of other options for 1B besides Morneau.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Nice article, lot of good points, but I don't think Revere would improve our defense in CF over Span...I also don't believe the team will use the saved money after trading him, assuming there is any saved money, on pitching. We knocked 18M off the 2011 payroll for 2012 and didn't address pitching...

Yeah - well . . . so far TR has been sitting on his hands. I am at the point that I really don't care WHO - obviously someone(s) has to - but please, please, please - don't shock us all by once again making a trade that is based on someone who is coming off the dl, or just had TJ, or "used to be good and would make the front office look good if we could resurrect his career". Get someone that will actually help.

Oh - and please look at FA starting pitchers - there are some really good ones that can be had (Edwin Jackson comes to mind).

One thing that makes me skittish about trading Span:

Usually, when fans suggest a player should be traded, it's because they don't like him. Span, on the other hand, is well-regarded and maybe even undervalued.
    If you're going to trade an asset as valuable as Span, you need to make sure you're getting proper value in return for him. If they're looking at good-field-no-hit middle infielders or back-of-the-rotation starters, I'd just as soon hold onto him and deal Revere (who teams may value higher as a player on the rise, as much as I'd hate to see him go) or see if you can get someone to overvalue Morneau instead.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

Still gotta trade him

Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Nice article, lot of good points, but I don't think Revere would improve our defense in CF over Span...I also don't believe the team will use the saved money after trading him, assuming there is any saved money, on pitching. We knocked 18M off the 2011 payroll for 2012 and didn't address pitching...
    Yes, the front office has not been savvy the last two off-seasons...but they still should trade Span and hopefully they will use the excess money on pitching unlike last year. I think Rever would serve admirably in CF replacing Span. He may not be as good as Span defensiely, but will definitely fill the lead-off hitter/CF role well for the MLB club. Revere may be the next guy traded as Hicks should be up by the end of 2013...unless the MLB is actually winning that is.

Aquiring good starting pitching for 2013 and the future is priority #1, but I'm scared that Span's likely successor in CF and the lead-off spot has a career .319 OBP. I think that is the biggest case against trading Span.

The Twins should not be afraid to trade any major leaguers named Willingham, Morneau, Span, Parmelee.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    Why would any of Atlanta's top four starters be off-limits for Span? If we trade an above-average CF, we should get back an above-average pitcher. Don't be giving us your 6th or 7th starters.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 58 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think trading Span is a given too and he is one of my favorite Twins players. It makes too much sense and there are too many teams that could use him and 2 of them are near or at Tampa who could probably resign him to an extension once they have him.

I think at this point we are waiting for teams to shop around on both sides by feeling out the best proposals before making a decision and moving on them.
    Last edited by Brandon; 11-06-2012 at 01:32 PM. Reason: add to comment

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    We lost 99 and 96 games the last 2 seasons. Everyone should be on the table, a couple minor moves will not fix this team.
    I wouldn't worry about it. See, at that rate, in 32 years, the Twins will be undefeated. 2044 Twins, baby!

The Rays are too smart to trade Shields for Span. I'm afraid that they will fleece the team out of a top prospect.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mk View Post
    Aquiring good starting pitching for 2013 and the future is priority #1, but I'm scared that Span's likely successor in CF and the lead-off spot has a career .319 OBP. I think that is the biggest case against trading Span.
    There is an easy fix to this. Due to Revere's extreme contact proficiency,it is more beneficial for him to simply stop swinging when he gets ahead in the count, and avoid terminating his at-bat prematurely by putting a ball in play. Specifically if he avoided swinging on all 2-0, 3-0, and 3-1 counts, I believe he could raise his OBP .040 or .050 points or more overnight. I made some rough calculations to arrive at that conclusion here:
    Last edited by Willihammer; 11-06-2012 at 09:06 PM. Reason: clarity

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 162 Times in 103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't think there are many comps of trading an outfielder for a starting pitcher unless the outfielder is relatively better at his position or a starting pitching prospect is included.

Lots of teams lost a starting pitcher to free agency and are in the market for a pitcher. I fear they will have the prospects and depth to top the Twins offer of Span.

Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    There is an easy fix to this. Due to Revere's extreme contact proficiency,it is more beneficial for him to simply stop swinging when he gets ahead in the count, and avoid terminating his at-bat prematurely by putting a ball in play. Specifically if he avoided swinging on all 2-0, 3-0, and 3-1 counts, I believe he could raise his OBP .040 or .050 points or more overnight. I made some rough calculations to arrive at that conclusion here:
    How many such counts did he have? Since he has no power, I can't believe he was able to build too many such hitter-friendly counts.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 75 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    Except that he rakes (singles) on these counts and builds his Bavg significantly. Taking on these pitches would force him to get his hits with 2 strikes--a difficult task.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast