Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Braves interested in Josh Willingham

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 394 Times in 208 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I would be for trading Willingham if we can get a couple pitchers back in return. One ready now, one in the future.

I would then go out and sign Torii Hunter to a one year contract to bring in a RH bat, take Willinghams spot. A potential OF of Hunter/Span/Revere could be pretty damn amazing defensive wise.
    Unless it's Hanson and someone like Aaron Northcraft, Gary Moran, Gus Schlosser, or David Hale, two pitchers just for Willingham isn't happening.
    I'd do that in a heartbeat. I think Hanson has some great potential and the 2nd guy doesn't have to be a can't miss prospect, just a guy who has a good shot to make a major league rotation in the future.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    Yes, 100% I'd deal him for the guys John said. Yes, 100%. One pitcher is enough, frankly.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 516 Times in 204 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark's Lounge View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    - Minor - I think I would trade him for Minor straight up. I think he's figured it out. Not a #1 buy, but a solid #3 that they can ride for years.
    - Medlen - Well, sure, duh.
    Totally agree with Mr. Bonnes. If the Twins were able to acquire one of these 2 guys for Willingham straight up... forget "Hammer Time", it's party time for Twins Nation!
    Can't see either one being available for Willingham alone, however.
    I cannot disagree - but it would be nice... for the Twins that is.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    - Minor - I think I would trade him for Minor straight up. I think he's figured it out. Not a #1 buy, but a solid #3 that they can ride for years.
    - Medlen - Well, sure, duh.
    Totally agree with Mr. Bonnes. If the Twins were able to acquire one of these 2 guys for Willingham straight up... forget "Hammer Time", it's party time for Twins Nation!
    Can't see either one being available for Willingham alone, however.
    I cannot disagree - but it would be nice... for the Twins that is.
    Yeah, just that Medlen has replaced Vizcaino in the "Four Horsemen" of the Braves that will take an incredible deal to pry away - Medlen, Minor, Delgado, and Teheran.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 45 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jjswol View Post
    I would take Hanson, or Delgado, or Minor along with Teheran for Willingham and either Span or Revere
    Hanson and Teheran, possibly, maybe on Delgado/Teheran, and no on Minor/Teheran on likelihood of those happening. And it'd certainly be Span over Revere.
    If we can get two pitchers back, I would definitely approve trading Span and Willingham. It would make a lot of sense financially for the Braves.

I like Hanson but he has horrible mechanics and has lost close to 4 MPH from his fastball in the last 2 years. I think he's worth the gamble but there's a lot of risk there. Braves fans are worried about him being the next Jurrjens. I'd prefer Teheran over Delgado because of the higher ceiling but I would take either one as the other pitcher.

To replace Willingham's power you can sign Jonny Gomes .262/.377/.491 this past season in Oakland. He has severe splits but you can have Gomes, Parmelee, Morneau and Doumit for 1B/LF/DH/Bench bat. Move Revere to CF and sign a 1 year RF: Melky Cabrera or Grady Sizemore, Nate McLouth, Nate Schierholtz platooned with Mastroianni.

Good core of young pitchers: Teheran, Gibson, Diamond, Hanson, Hendriks

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 167 Times in 98 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I cannot see at all that Delgado/Minor/Medlen would go for anything short of a CF replacement.

DOB has been jonesing for Willingham for a long time, and he is a HORRIBLE writer at inserting his views as team views, so unless someone other than DOB put this out with a direct Wren quote, I'd not believe it if I were a Twins fan. Wren seems much, much more concerned about CF right now and will fill that first going by all his interviews this offseason.
    Really good insight on David O'Brien, Ben. Thanks. And it's great that you are able to respond to some of these questions.

It's worth noting on similar threads. It might pay when there is a thread involving another team that we reach out to any fans/writers of that team with a link to give their thoughts.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Ummm.. who wouldn't be interested in Willingham at this point. High production that comes cheap over the next 2 years.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think that the Twins should buy low and sell high:

see if they can pry Delgado and one of Andrelton Simmons or Tyler Pastornicky (the latter probably more likely at this point), even if they have to throw someone like Carroll or one of the AAAA middle infielders they have. They got to think intermediate term at this point (2014-2015)
    Last edited by Thrylos; 11-07-2012 at 06:27 PM.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,315 Times in 710 Posts
    Now's the time to move Willingham, not sure why the Braves would want to give away what's being suggested here but if's even close, TR should do it.

If they want a CF, we have one of those too.

Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    I think that the Twins should buy low and sell high:

see if they can pry Delgado and one of Andrelton Simmons or Tyler Pastornicky (the latter probably more likely at this point), even if they have to throw someone like Carroll or one of the AAAA middle infielders they have. They got to think intermediate term at this point (2014-2015)
    I really hope you're kidding. Simmons is probably the 2nd or 3rd most unmovable player on the Braves. Behind Heyward and maybe Freeman. No way would Simmons move for anyone short of a superstar. The only trade rumor where he's been mentioned without it being laughable is for Justin Upton.

Quote Originally Posted by JP3700 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jjswol View Post
    I would take Hanson, or Delgado, or Minor along with Teheran for Willingham and either Span or Revere
    Hanson and Teheran, possibly, maybe on Delgado/Teheran, and no on Minor/Teheran on likelihood of those happening. And it'd certainly be Span over Revere.
    If we can get two pitchers back, I would definitely approve trading Span and Willingham. It would make a lot of sense financially for the Braves.

I like Hanson but he has horrible mechanics and has lost close to 4 MPH from his fastball in the last 2 years. I think he's worth the gamble but there's a lot of risk there. Braves fans are worried about him being the next Jurrjens. I'd prefer Teheran over Delgado because of the higher ceiling but I would take either one as the other pitcher.

To replace Willingham's power you can sign Jonny Gomes .262/.377/.491 this past season in Oakland. He has severe splits but you can have Gomes, Parmelee, Morneau and Doumit for 1B/LF/DH/Bench bat. Move Revere to CF and sign a 1 year RF: Melky Cabrera or Grady Sizemore, Nate McLouth, Nate Schierholtz platooned with Mastroianni.

Good core of young pitchers: Teheran, Gibson, Diamond, Hanson, Hendriks
    On Hanson - I've not heard Braves fans on any of the team forums I frequent compare him at all to Jurrjens. Hanson's mechanics are what they are, no argument there, but the MPH off his fastball were as much an organizational focus as any issue with Hanson. He has had some very sideways quotes on the method of working in a hard two-seamer rather than his four-seamer. Brandon Beachy bought into the program hard, and he had phenomenal success. His barely-used arm succumbed to the rampant use of the last couple of years. Hanson could mostly use a change of scenery, not because he's a bad apple, but because he's not pitching to his strength. I've felt through the whole year that attempting to create sink in his motion slowed his arm action. I don't have the technology to prove it, but I believe that 1. he lost velocity because of the new pitch strategy, and 2. he had a tip when he threw his four-seamer, which often rode up high in the zone. Basically, following the Bauer thread, it's a very similar case with Hanson. I think he's still got a ton of value, but you can't sell a pitcher with an ERA like he carried and sell him as an ace.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    I brought this up a couple months ago & I stick to it.....Dan Uggla (as well as an obvious pitcher back) takes care of the RH hitter.
    I am NOT scared off by his 3yr/39m left...esp with Morneau's deal coming off. This team has MLB's weakest middle infield and has for the past decade & refuses to address it.
    Uggla was an all star last yr but had his worst statistical year.....86runs(2nd worse) 29doubles, 48XBH (worst ever) 19HR 78RBI(both worst ever) 94BB.....these numbers would make him the best hitting middle infielder since Knoblauch. He had an .803OPS on the road as his struggles were in ATL (.656OPS) & mostly June/July. Strong other 4 months.
    He's been criticized for his defense (rightly so) but was excellent last season as ATL had the best team defense in baseball.
    We've seen with Willy what can happen when hitters vary from the 'Twins Way' & let them swing for the fences
    I am available for criticism on this but absolutely would personally love to get him
    That's a great idea gg. Uggla+a young pitcher

I cannot see at all that Delgado/Minor/Medlen would go for anything short of a CF replacement.

DOB has been jonesing for Willingham for a long time, and he is a HORRIBLE writer at inserting his views as team views, so unless someone other than DOB put this out with a direct Wren quote, I'd not believe it if I were a Twins fan. Wren seems much, much more concerned about CF right now and will fill that first going by all his interviews this offseason.
    Really good insight on David O'Brien, Ben. Thanks. And it's great that you are able to respond to some of these questions.

It's worth noting on similar threads. It might pay when there is a thread involving another team that we reach out to any fans/writers of that team with a link to give their thoughts.
    No problem! And thanks!

I'm honestly not a huge fan of the two major Braves beat writers, O'Brien with the Atlanta Journal Constitution and Mark Bowden through mlb.com. DOB tends to be way too much sunshine and abhorrence for statistics. Bowden is anti-everything. I'd prefer a more fair and balanced view on the team.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 45 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries

On Hanson - I've not heard Braves fans on any of the team forums I frequent compare him at all to Jurrjens. Hanson's mechanics are what they are, no argument there, but the MPH off his fastball were as much an organizational focus as any issue with Hanson. He has had some very sideways quotes on the method of working in a hard two-seamer rather than his four-seamer. Brandon Beachy bought into the program hard, and he had phenomenal success. His barely-used arm succumbed to the rampant use of the last couple of years. Hanson could mostly use a change of scenery, not because he's a bad apple, but because he's not pitching to his strength. I've felt through the whole year that attempting to create sink in his motion slowed his arm action. I don't have the technology to prove it, but I believe that 1. he lost velocity because of the new pitch strategy, and 2. he had a tip when he threw his four-seamer, which often rode up high in the zone. Basically, following the Bauer thread, it's a very similar case with Hanson. I think he's still got a ton of value, but you can't sell a pitcher with an ERA like he carried and sell him as an ace.
    Here's a Link to an article mostly about Hanson.

Quote Originally Posted by JP3700 View Post

Here's a Link to an article mostly about Hanson.
    Yep, I know gondeee's viewpoints quite well. He's always been very anti-Hanson and very alarmist about him, suggesting in 2009 that JA Happ was by far the better long term pitcher. He's is VERY against Hanson's motion, so he weighs things that way. But even in that article, he didn't directly compare it to Jurrjens - which it isn't at all. Jurrjens never had velocity. He just forgot how to hit the strike zone. He said it could end up a similar situation - a high paid player who isn't good enough to be in the rotation anymore, much like Derek Lowe, Kenshin Kawakami, and Jair Jurrjens have been in the last 3 years. For the Braves, that could simply be because they have better rotation options, frankly, not because of anything wrong with Hanson.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just for fun, read the comments to this thread from the Braves fan perspective. If Twins fans and Braves fans were allowed to make trades for the teams...

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-...-lineup-needs/

Liked 147 Times in 83 Posts
    "The Twins are looking for a RH replacement bat in return."

I'm torn on this:

Pro:

1. Selling high

2. He's getting old

3. He has an injury history

4. He's a defensive liability (not in the D-Young class, but not great)

Con:

1. He was healthy last year
    2. When he's healthy, the man can hit
    3. I don't trust TR to get value on a straight challenge trade
    4. Why trade a RH bat who came here voluntarily for a RH bat that didn't?
    5. Is Atlanta still a hitter's park? I know Target Field evened out somewhat last year. I'd be concerned about overrating their hitters vs. ours because of park factors.

I'd rather get a pitcher, unless the Braves surprise us with the offer.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 205 Times in 115 Posts
    Here's the tweet, Parker misrepresents the part about needing a RH bat in return a bit.

#Braves
    would also have interest in LF Willingham, but #Twins at this point seem unlikely to trade, would need to replace RH bat in lineup

Yes to Medlan, Minor, or Hanson. Yes, to Delgado if they included another pitcher prospect like Gilmartin or Graham. I think Ryan's just leveraging Span more by demanding a RH bat in return so, since the Braves can't provide it they'll have to settle on Span. This is a deal that needs to get done though, even if we do trade Willingham. What about signing Cody Ross to replace Willingham?

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Here's the tweet, Parker misrepresents the part about needing a RH bat in return a bit.
    Fixed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast