Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves interested in Josh Willingham

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries

Braves interested in Josh Willingham

David O' Brian, Braves beat writer for the Atlanta Constitution Journal, says its so. Also adds that the Twins are concerned about replacing that right-handed bat.

What say you? Trade Willingham?

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 167 Posts
    Sure, Delgado and Minor?
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 164 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    First, I'm a little disturbed that getting right-handed power power back would be a deal-breaker, so I'm going to gloss over that.

OK, let's break this down.....

In the Handbook, the pitchers Braves could offer are in this order... "Jair Jurrjens, Tommy Hanson, Paul Maholm, Randall Delgado, Mike Minor, Julio Teheran, Tim Hudson, and Kris Medlen."

No on Jurrjens (obviously) or Hanson or Maholm, or at least not straight up.
    - Delgado....I'd think about that one a lot, though I might be a little worried that he would be another Frankie - just shaky enough control to doom him in this organization. But I'd be tempted.
    - Minor - I think I would trade him for Minor straight up. I think he's figured it out. Not a #1 buy, but a solid #3 that they can ride for years.
    - Teheran - I know he's more highly regarded, but I wouldn't trade for him right now. I'm worried about him.
    - Hudson - I think it's a moot point
    - Medlen - Well, sure, duh.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    hanson , juan jaime, and carbrea, then give up a pair of non factor prospects to the angels for wells and 38 million

I say yes. Don't see his return getting higher, and we're looking at a logjam in the OF.

Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So, only really knowing who is on the Braves 40-man roster and not looking into their farm system since it said "replacement bat," implying someone who can take a roster spot next year, that would leave the options of Martin Prado, Dan Uggla, Andrelton Simmons, Tyler Pastornicky, Ernesto Meija and Paul Janish.

Now assuming a pitcher would come back as well we can eliminate Prado and Simmons from consideration because the only pitchers that the Twins are getting with them are AAAA, 5th starter types. Uggla is in pretty steady decline with the bat and his UZR/150 for his career is -4.5 so he has never been good at 2nd base, now a declining Uggla for one year is better than what is currently on the roster, but he has 3 more years at $13.2 million. So he should be a pass unless as a throw in with a Minor/Medlen/Delgado type pitcher. Pastornicky is Florimon but shakier defensively. Janish is a RH bat in name only and Meija is a 27 year old AAA first baseman. So I don't really know if they are aiming for a RH replacement bat and a pitcher, they may be hard up with the Braves.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think that tweet only suggested the Twins would be worried about replacing the RH bat if they made that move, not that it had to be part of the deal. Seems doubtful they'd get ML ready starting pitching and a ML ready hitter back in return for just him. Willingham seems more likely to be a deadline trade if Plouffe is hitting well and the Twins are out of it, for that reason, due to the uncertainty of having any legit RH in the lineup.

I brought this up a couple months ago & I stick to it.....Dan Uggla (as well as an obvious pitcher back) takes care of the RH hitter.
    I am NOT scared off by his 3yr/39m left...esp with Morneau's deal coming off. This team has MLB's weakest middle infield and has for the past decade & refuses to address it.
    Uggla was an all star last yr but had his worst statistical year.....86runs(2nd worse) 29doubles, 48XBH (worst ever) 19HR 78RBI(both worst ever) 94BB.....these numbers would make him the best hitting middle infielder since Knoblauch. He had an .803OPS on the road as his struggles were in ATL (.656OPS) & mostly June/July. Strong other 4 months.
    He's been criticized for his defense (rightly so) but was excellent last season as ATL had the best team defense in baseball.
    We've seen with Willy what can happen when hitters vary from the 'Twins Way' & let them swing for the fences
    I am available for criticism on this but absolutely would personally love to get him

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    If they offer one of their guys - you do this and run to the bank. This should be music to any Twins' fans ears.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker Hageman View Post
    David O' Brian, Braves beat writer for the Atlanta Constitution Journal, says its so. Also adds that the Twins are looking for a RH replacement bat in return.

What say you? Trade Willingham?
    If doing so nets them a young, cheap starter to upgrade the rotation now? Absolutely.

Although the "get a replacement RH bat" brings back uncomfortable memories of the logic that led to the Delmon (currently a FA!) trade. Maybe they could strike a deal and then bring back Torii for one last hurrah... Nah.

I get the sense sometimes Ryan just doesn't/won't think two or three moves down the road. They need pitching; they don't have many avenues to get it; if an opportunity comes, I'd prefer they just do so and deal with untied ends later.

Yes, Willingham was fantastic (and healthy) this past year. He probably will be less so next year.
    Last edited by jianfu; 11-07-2012 at 04:22 PM.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    First, I'm a little disturbed that getting right-handed power power back would be a deal-breaker, so I'm going to gloss over that.

- Teheran - I know he's more highly regarded, but I wouldn't trade for him right now. I'm worried about him.
    Yeah it's a big leap to assume from that little tweet that it means the Twins would need a replacement for Willingham in the Braves deal. It's just stating the obvious, if they trade him, they'll need to replace his bat somehow.

John, what worries you about Teheran? I haven't looked at these guys in depth, but just glancing over them last week I thought he looked like he might be someone worth trying to acquire. What am I missing?
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 507 Times in 198 Posts
    Blog Entries
    - Minor - I think I would trade him for Minor straight up. I think he's figured it out. Not a #1 buy, but a solid #3 that they can ride for years.
    Totally agree with Mr. Bonnes. If the Twins were able to acquire one of these 2 guys for Willingham straight up... forget "Hammer Time", it's party time for Twins Nation!

I would take Hanson, or Delgado, or Minor along with Teheran for Willingham and either Span or Revere. I would pass on Uggla because he makes Plouffe look like Roberto Alomar. I know that means 2 outfielders leaving but getting an opportunity to get two young pitchers like this doesn't happen too often.
    jjswol

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    I cannot see at all that Delgado/Minor/Medlen would go for anything short of a CF replacement.

DOB has been jonesing for Willingham for a long time, and he is a HORRIBLE writer at inserting his views as team views, so unless someone other than DOB put this out with a direct Wren quote, I'd not believe it if I were a Twins fan. Wren seems much, much more concerned about CF right now and will fill that first going by all his interviews this offseason.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by jjswol View Post
    I would take Hanson, or Delgado, or Minor along with Teheran for Willingham and either Span or Revere. I would pass on Uggla because he makes Plouffe look like Roberto Alomar. I know that means 2 outfielders leaving but getting an opportunity to get two young pitchers like this doesn't happen too often.
    IF you do the Uggla deal for Willy....you could theoretically keep Revere/Span since you will improve your offense/power enough @ 2B to warrant havin a second base hitting type in Revere in LF. Not that you would, but you could.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    John, what worries you about Teheran? I haven't looked at these guys in depth, but just glancing over them last week I thought he looked like he might be someone worth trying to acquire. What am I missing?
    Not John, but as the resident Braves fan, I'll comment that Teheran stalemated at AAA this year after dominating as a 20 year old last year at the same level. He's still got the same upside, but he's shown some personality/attitude stuff that could be concerning. Prospecting types that focus more on stats than scouting have dropped Teheran off the face of the earth. Types that focus more on scouting still have dropped him significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by jjswol View Post
    I would take Hanson, or Delgado, or Minor along with Teheran for Willingham and either Span or Revere
    Hanson and Teheran, possibly, maybe on Delgado/Teheran, and no on Minor/Teheran on likelihood of those happening. And it'd certainly be Span over Revere.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark's Lounge View Post
    Totally agree with Mr. Bonnes. If the Twins were able to acquire one of these 2 guys for Willingham straight up... forget "Hammer Time", it's party time for Twins Nation!
    Can't see either one being available for Willingham alone, however.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 392 Times in 206 Posts
    I would be for trading Willingham if we can get a couple pitchers back in return. One ready now, one in the future.

I would then go out and sign Torii Hunter to a one year contract to bring in a RH bat, take Willinghams spot. A potential OF of Hunter/Span/Revere could be pretty damn amazing defensive wise.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I would be for trading Willingham if we can get a couple pitchers back in return. One ready now, one in the future.

I would then go out and sign Torii Hunter to a one year contract to bring in a RH bat, take Willinghams spot. A potential OF of Hunter/Span/Revere could be pretty damn amazing defensive wise.
    Unless it's Hanson and someone like Aaron Northcraft, Gary Moran, Gus Schlosser, or David Hale, two pitchers just for Willingham isn't happening.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast