Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Braves interested in Josh Willingham

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ericchri View Post
    Just for fun, read the comments to this thread from the Braves fan perspective. If Twins fans and Braves fans were allowed to make trades for the teams...

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-...-lineup-needs/
    AJC comments make STrib comments look very intelligent.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by gil4 View Post
    5. Is Atlanta still a hitter's park? I know Target Field evened out somewhat last year. I'd be concerned about overrating their hitters vs. ours because of park factors.
    Turner Field is considered the most neutral park in baseball over long-term results.

There's not a hitter involved here. The Braves would be moving pitching for Willingham, then the Twins would need to get another RH bat. That's what the tweet said.

Quote Originally Posted by Big City View Post
    Yes to Medlan, Minor, or Hanson. Yes, to Delgado if they included another pitcher prospect like Gilmartin or Graham. I think Ryan's just leveraging Span more by demanding a RH bat in return so, since the Braves can't provide it they'll have to settle on Span. This is a deal that needs to get done though, even if we do trade Willingham. What about signing Cody Ross to replace Willingham?
    Wow. You really think they'd include one of the top 3-5 prospects in their system along with their most proven rookie arm for Willingham? Not so much.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 44 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JP3700 View Post

Here's a Link to an article mostly about Hanson.
    Yep, I know gondeee's viewpoints quite well. He's always been very anti-Hanson and very alarmist about him, suggesting in 2009 that JA Happ was by far the better long term pitcher. He's is VERY against Hanson's motion, so he weighs things that way. But even in that article, he didn't directly compare it to Jurrjens - which it isn't at all. Jurrjens never had velocity. He just forgot how to hit the strike zone. He said it could end up a similar situation - a high paid player who isn't good enough to be in the rotation anymore, much like Derek Lowe, Kenshin Kawakami, and Jair Jurrjens have been in the last 3 years. For the Braves, that could simply be because they have better rotation options, frankly, not because of anything wrong with Hanson.
    Jurrjens had plenty of velocity. He use to be 91-93, topping out at 96. Now he's 88-90 topping out at 92. Here's his PitchFx page.

There is a pretty solid comparison there considering the velocity drops and injuries. Jurrjens' knee and Hanson's shoulder. I wouldn't mind gambling on Hanson, but there's high risk there.

Here's a Link to an article mostly about Hanson.
    Yep, I know gondeee's viewpoints quite well. He's always been very anti-Hanson and very alarmist about him, suggesting in 2009 that JA Happ was by far the better long term pitcher. He's is VERY against Hanson's motion, so he weighs things that way. But even in that article, he didn't directly compare it to Jurrjens - which it isn't at all. Jurrjens never had velocity. He just forgot how to hit the strike zone. He said it could end up a similar situation - a high paid player who isn't good enough to be in the rotation anymore, much like Derek Lowe, Kenshin Kawakami, and Jair Jurrjens have been in the last 3 years. For the Braves, that could simply be because they have better rotation options, frankly, not because of anything wrong with Hanson.
    Jurrjens had plenty of velocity. He use to be 91-93, topping out at 96. Now he's 88-90 topping out at 92. Here's his PitchFx page.

There is a pretty solid comparison there considering the velocity drops and injuries. Jurrjens' knee and Hanson's shoulder. I wouldn't mind gambling on Hanson, but there's high risk there.
    Jurrjens was still quite effective at lower velocity along as he was precise with his command. He was a mid 6 k/9 guy, so his stuff was never swing and miss. Hanson has relied on swing and miss, so it's a very different thing.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Blog Entries
    Biggentleben, as a Braves fan what do you think of this trade..

Denard Span, Ryan Doumit, Jamey Carroll, Jared Burton and $2 million cash for Randall Delgado, Tommy Hanson, Nick Ahmed and David Hale

Prado in LF, Span in CF
    Doumit catches til McCann is back and can play LF with moving Prado to 3B
    Francisco at 3B vs. RH and Carroll vs. LH + Utility IF
    Burton as the late inning RH to Kimbrel.
    Leaves plenty of money to sign a Sanchez, Jackson or Marcum type pitcher and extensions for Prado and Heyward.

Seem pretty fair? Just fun to think about.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 191 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Braves also have Simmons backing up Pastornicky at SS. That guy can flash some leather.

Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    The Braves also have Simmons backing up Pastornicky at SS. That guy can flash some leather.
    Um, no, Simmons is the starter and nearly the most untouchable player on the Braves.

Denard Span, Ryan Doumit, Jamey Carroll, Jared Burton and $2 million cash for Randall Delgado, Tommy Hanson, Nick Ahmed and David Hale

Prado in LF, Span in CF
    Leaves plenty of money to sign a Sanchez, Jackson or Marcum type pitcher and extensions for Prado and Heyward.

Only thing is Burton doesn't carry much value with a full bullpen already, at least not enough to include two prospects. If they were going to do something with a guy like Carroll, they'd just use Janish or Pastornicky. Value-wise, it'd be even, but it doesn't match up with the Braves' needs.

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 108 Times in 65 Posts

Prado in LF, Span in CF

Seems pretty awful for the Braves. They get Span and crap.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    The only thing that deal is missing is Brian Duensing to really cement it in the "I'm just making this stupid suggestion for laughs" category.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    I brought this up a couple months ago & I stick to it.....Dan Uggla (as well as an obvious pitcher back) takes care of the RH hitter.
    I am NOT scared off by his 3yr/39m left...esp with Morneau's deal coming off. This team has MLB's weakest middle infield and has for the past decade & refuses to address it.
    Uggla was an all star last yr but had his worst statistical year.....86runs(2nd worse) 29doubles, 48XBH (worst ever) 19HR 78RBI(both worst ever) 94BB.....these numbers would make him the best hitting middle infielder since Knoblauch. He had an .803OPS on the road as his struggles were in ATL (.656OPS) & mostly June/July. Strong other 4 months.
    He's been criticized for his defense (rightly so) but was excellent last season as ATL had the best team defense in baseball.
    We've seen with Willy what can happen when hitters vary from the 'Twins Way' & let them swing for the fences
    I am available for criticism on this but absolutely would personally love to get him
    well uggla and florimon just might make cy young look like nick blackburn

Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post

Prado in LF, Span in CF

Seems pretty awful for the Braves. They get Span and crap.
    I was trying to be nice

From MLBTR today:

The Braves are looking at center field options to replace Michael Bourn and the Twins' Denard Span "is likely high on the list of potential trade target," writes David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. The Braves and Twins match up well as trade partners, as Minnesota is desperate for pitching and Atlanta is one of the few teams with available young arms. The Braves "havenít entirely given up" on re-signing Bourn, but the club is unlikely to match the demands from Bourn and agent Scott Boras.
    Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...qeCqLOO1dbk.99

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries

Prado in LF, Span in CF

So we give them a bunch a guys we signed last offseason and Span? Seems a little crooked and the Braves would hang up quick.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Blog Entries
    I'm not going to argue with any of the rude replies to a question where I specifically asked one person, but just know that there was a thought process to my question.

-Denard Span is obvious so I'll skip why he was involved.

-Brian McCann had shoulder surgery and will miss significant time. The Braves have a need at C and are looking at David Ross (their backup from 2012) who will cost similar to what Doumit is making. On top of this McCann is a free agent after the season and the Braves might not be able to afford him considering they have to pay Prado, Heyward and Freeman. Doumit would be a decent stop gap for Christian Bethancourt as Doumit is signed through 2014.

-The Braves have Juan Francisco to play 3B who has 20+ HR power and hits RH pitching well, but is brutal against LH pitching. Carroll had an .839 OPS against LH pitching in 2012. The $2 million added makes him only cost $1.75 and there were already reports that the Braves were looking for a backup middle infielder.

-The Braves have a strong bullpen, but their late inning guys are O'Flaherty and Venters who are both lefties. Durbin was their righty and he's a FA so Burton would not only replace him, but be an upgrade.

As for the return..

-Delgado is the centerpiece

-Hanson's value has significantly dropped with his drop in velocity and poor 2012. Sure the Braves would be selling low, but they may be wary of investing $4 million on a guy who could fall off the map like Jurrjens did.. Obviously I could be wrong on them selling low, but if you read the article I linked above there are opinions that Hanson could only get a "promising bullpen arm" now.

-Ahmed is blocked by Simmons and isn't that highly regarded anyway. Similar to Brian Dozier: no tools that stand out but does a lot of things right.

-Hale is a borderline top 20 prospect in their organization. he's 25 and hasn't pitched an inning past AA, so instead of asking for Sprull or Graham I added him.

Like I mentioned, it was just fun to ask. But instead of just reading names and assuming it's a bad trade, do some research and realize there was a thought process.. Thanks.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts

Prado in LF, Span in CF

Only thing is Burton doesn't carry much value with a full bullpen already, at least not enough to include two prospects. If they were going to do something with a guy like Carroll, they'd just use Janish or Pastornicky. Value-wise, it'd be even, but it doesn't match up with the Braves' needs.
    Is that TRULY even Value wise? Burton and Carroll have like zero trade value to be honest, and Doumit, while a nice player is much better suited for the AL these days as he would not be an every day guy in the NL.

-Hanson's value has significantly dropped with his drop in velocity and poor 2012. Sure the Braves would be selling low, but they may be wary of investing $4 million on a guy who could fall off the map like Jurrjens did.. Obviously I could be wrong on them selling low, but if you read the article I linked above there are opinions that Hanson could only get a "promising bullpen arm" now.

-Ahmed is blocked by Simmons and isn't that highly regarded anyway. Similar to Brian Dozier: no tools that stand out but does a lot of things right.
    Those were the two that made it a no-go in my book actually. Like I said earlier, consider the source on the article you posted. The Braves have actually refused him media credentials in the past, despite having one of the 2-3 longest running Braves blogs/forums on the internet. Multiple blogs that have started up in the last two years have received those same credentials. The Braves still value Hanson fairly high, and all reports from inside and outside the organization is that there is a lot of high-level interest in him.

Ahmed is probably not going to achieve MLB status until he's 25ish, but he's someone that the organization regards very highly. According to rumors, he was part of the reason for backing out of one deadline deal this year. He's what would seem like a perfect future utility guy, and it's highly doubtful that the Braves will consider moving him until he fails a level. He made a big jump (2 levels) this year and held his own. I'd wager he'll go up step by step from here, but he's very highly regarded by the organization, so he's going to be tough to get involved in a deal.

I guess from the upside/downside for both players, I've thought Hanson/Span makes way too much sense for both teams for it not to get done.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post

Prado in LF, Span in CF

Is that TRULY even Value wise? Burton and Carroll have like zero trade value to be honest, and Doumit, while a nice player is much better suited for the AL these days as he would not be an every day guy in the NL.
    Player-wise, no, but you have to realize the tight finances that the Braves in and how important cash would be to them. That said, all four guys the Twins would give up have proven to some level their performance expectation at the MLB level. Hanson is the only one who has enough track record for that on the Braves side. I just don't see it working for the reasons I mentioned just a post ago.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Blog Entries

Those were the two that made it a no-go in my book actually. Like I said earlier, consider the source on the article you posted. The Braves have actually refused him media credentials in the past, despite having one of the 2-3 longest running Braves blogs/forums on the internet. Multiple blogs that have started up in the last two years have received those same credentials. The Braves still value Hanson fairly high, and all reports from inside and outside the organization is that there is a lot of high-level interest in him.

Ahmed is probably not going to achieve MLB status until he's 25ish, but he's someone that the organization regards very highly. According to rumors, he was part of the reason for backing out of one deadline deal this year. He's what would seem like a perfect future utility guy, and it's highly doubtful that the Braves will consider moving him until he fails a level. He made a big jump (2 levels) this year and held his own. I'd wager he'll go up step by step from here, but he's very highly regarded by the organization, so he's going to be tough to get involved in a deal.

I guess from the upside/downside for both players, I've thought Hanson/Span makes way too much sense for both teams for it not to get done.
    Fair enough, appreciate the response. That's why I specifically asked you. You obviously follow the Braves, so you'd have a better grasp of what they'd be willing to do. I just didn't appreciate the posts that made it seem like a completely unreasonable trade without thought. Especially from people I didn't ask, nor have a grasp of Atlanta's needs as a team.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast